PDA

View Full Version : Military families stay connected

thedrifter
05-19-07, 07:34 AM
Military families stay connected

By BOB LINK, Of The Globe Gazette

MASON CITY — A North Iowa military family saw two of its members unite in Iraq recently, while a Clear Lake woman caught up with her brother’s past.

Master Sgt. Joseph King and his son, Lance Cpl. Jared King, both of Mason City, enjoyed three days together in Iraq during March.

The Marines were each serving their second deployment in Iraq. During their first tours, the two men were able to get together during the 2005 holiday season.

Juanita Faktor-Cole of Clear Lake represented her family at the 65th Doolittle Raider’s Reunion in San Antonio, Texas, receiving honors on behalf of her brother, Cpl. Leland Faktor, who died while on Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle’s famous raid over Japan in 1942.

On the anniversary of the raid, April 18, surviving raiders get together and toast each other and those who didn’t make it home. This year Cole attended the reunion, and participated in the silver goblet ceremony.

Each goblet used in the ceremony is engraved twice. One name is engraved so it can be read right side up for the living members and the other upside down — as it is placed after a raider dies.

Only raiders and specially appointed members of the U.S. Air Force are allowed to touch the goblets. The goblets are kept at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Col. There are 14 living Doolittle Raiders.

Leland Faktor was born and raised in Plymouth. He was killed after the raid when he tried to bail out of his B-25 bomber near China.

Master Sgt. King, a communications chief with the Marine Expeditionary Force, arrived in Iraq in January.

Lance Cpl. King, an infantryman with the Anti-Terrorist Battalion, Co. A, 2nd Marine Division, was marking the end of his deployment in late March and has since returned Camp Lejeune, N.C.

“It was good that I was able to come see him and see what he does, watch him in what he does,” said Joseph King.

“I have all the confidence in the world that he has learned everything he’s supposed to learn and he’s in good hands with the people above him. I’m blessed I was able to come here and see him.”

Jared admitted it has been strange at times, but ultimately serving with his father in Iraq has been a special experience.

“It’s something you wouldn’t expect,” Jared said of meeting his father. “It’s kinda awkward but at the same time it’s great. How many people get to go to Iraq and see their own father?”

Joseph joined the Marine Corps out of high school. Twenty-three years later, so did his son. Joseph attended the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, as did Jared.

Joseph is the son of Joe and Hazel King and Phyllis and Jerry Hesley, all of Mason City.

Jared’s wife, Cinder, who is a native of Mason City, and their 1-year-old daughter live in Jacksonville, N.C.

Jared’s mother, Barb, also lives in Mason City.

Reach Bob Link at 421-0538 or bob.link@globegazette.com.

Ellie