PDA

View Full Version : Do recruits salute at boot camp?

Achped
05-18-07, 02:53 PM
Do recruits ever salute their Bn commander or Co commander while at recruit training? Or say, for some random reason an officer walks out to somewhere where recruits are in uniform, do they salute the officer?

Or since they are not yet Marines, they do not salute?

Marine84
05-18-07, 03:06 PM
They had better!

1stRad2671
05-18-07, 03:08 PM
Yes, along with the proper greeting, unless you're in formation or heavily involved in some other activity.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-18-07, 03:58 PM
You will be instructed on this soon after getting to MCRD. The reader's digest version is: You never salute without a cover. If you're in formation you do not salute- the person in charge of the...

Ignition
05-19-07, 07:21 AM
dont forget them pesky blue stickers on cars.... and what not

Old Marine
05-19-07, 08:55 AM
If it moves, salute it.

davblay
05-19-07, 11:33 AM
A rule of thumb---if in doubt----salute! It's easier to take an azz chewing for saluting than it is for not saluting, believe me! I once saluted a Navy CPO, he just laughed at me and went on. I've never wondered what would have happened if it had been a Navy Capt. and I didn't salute him!! Soooooo-----better safe then sorry! ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-19-07, 11:49 AM
I saluted more than my fair share of chiefs. I followed the rule "if it shines, salute" and the Navy thought it would be cute to give them shiny collar rank insignia.

It also gave me a problem on an Army base since their officers wear subdued rank on cammies. Luckily, the 2nd Lt. I failed to salute wasn't a jerk about it.

Marine84
05-19-07, 02:13 PM
I always hated that about the Navy insignia.................there are a lot of Chiefs out there and I KNOW I saluted them ALL! My eyesight started going back then too so................better safe than sorry.

05-19-07, 11:22 PM
I don’t know if some Gunners still wear a bursting bomb on one collar and rank bar on the other, but as a PFC I sure got a lesson on Marine Corps rank structure!