PDA

View Full Version : Watertown senior misses graduation to attend Marine boot camp

thedrifter
05-18-07, 09:14 AM
Watertown senior misses graduation to attend Marine boot camp
By Jillian Fennimore, Staff Writer
GateHouse News Service
Thu May 17, 2007, 08:55 AM EDT

WATERTOWN, MA -
As the last days of senior year come to a close, students are gearing up for the most celebrated days of their high school careers.

Charles Beagan is going to miss them all in exchange for 93 days in Marine boot camp.

Instead of a cap and gown, the 17-year-old will be dressed head to toe in a new uniform, as he makes his way to the Marines — sacrificing prom, the “All Night Party” and walking the graduation stage in exchange for serving his country.

“I’m really excited,” Beagan said. “I just want to be a Marine.”

On Monday, the high school grad began his first day on Parris Island in South Carolina for Marine Corps Boot Camp.

But before he left, Beagan’s family, friends and teachers wanted to give him a proper send-off.

Last Thursday, everyone gathered to celebrate and honor Beagan’s bravery with a special graduation ceremony. The rest of the Class of 2007 will graduate on June 1 at Victory Field.

“He’s doing something courageous,” said Beagan’s civics teacher, John Rimas. “It’s admirable for a high school senior to be that mature.”

In class discussion, Rimas said Beagan was always one to hold firm on his feelings toward the military.

“He was always willing to debate people on the other side of him,” Rimas said. “But students would debate, and still walk out of class as friends.”

Beagan said he is comforted knowing there are many people backing his next steps in life, especially his parents and two brothers.
“I have a lot of support in Watertown,” he said.

After boot camp, Beagan plans to begin as a freshman at Norwich University in Vermont to study computer security. As a reservist, the call of duty could come anytime during his college career.

“In those four years, they can call me to go out to Iraq,” he said.

But why the Marines? Beagan said he began thinking seriously about serving over the past seven months.

“The Marines is the best branch out there in the military,” he said. “They have core values, and have really hard training. They teach you things in life.”

Ellie