PDA

View Full Version : Dressed to kilt

thedrifter
05-18-07, 09:07 AM
Dressed to kilt
Camp Fuji sergeant tested in title defense at Highland Games
Cpl. Warren Peace

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Images%20Complete/IMAGES/070518-dressed.jpg

Sgt. Ryan Frazier winds up during the hammer throw event at Camp Fuji's Second Annual Highland Games May 13. (Photo by Cpl. Warren Peace).

CAMP FUJI, Japan (May 18, 2007) -- During last year's Camp Fuji inaugural Highland Games, one Marine emerged above the rest.

Sgt. Ryan Frazier dominated the competition, taking first place in every event.

However, Camp Fuji's Second Annual Highland Games May 13 brought a new competitor to the field, Capt. Daniel Thunen.

Wearing digital Marine Pattern kilts, the two Marines slugged it out during the competition, which featured a variety of traditional Scottish events.

Both Marines competed in the heavyweight division events, which began with back-hold wrestling. This event requires participants to stand chest-to-chest with their hands locked behind each other's back. The goal is to throw the opponent on his back.

Frazier, who was affectionately given the nickname "Team Frazier" during last year's games, tore through his competition in a dominant fashion.

"My career as an amateur (mixed martial arts) fighter gave me the advantage in the wrestling matches," Frazier said. "I learned a lot about grappling."

Thunen, who had yet to establish himself as a contender in the games, finished the wrestling event in fifth.

So, as "Amazing Grace" bellowed from bagpipes in the background, it looked as if Frazier would cruise to victory just as he had last year.

But in the next event, Thunen made his presence known, finishing just behind Frazier in the putting-the-stone competition. In this event, competitors threw a 22-pound stone for distance. Frazier won the event by throwing the stone 35 feet six inches.

Then Frazier's undefeated streak in the Fuji Highland Games came to an end.

In the hammer throw, Thunen bested Frazier by five feet with a throw of 69 feet.

"I didn't expect anyone to have a chance after Sgt. Frazier's performance last year," said Cpl. Andrew Bradley, a spectator. "He was like a machine."

In the next event, weight for height, competitors had to heave a 42-pound weight over an elevated horizontal bar, similar to what is used in a pole vault competition, without knocking over the bar.

Thunen and Frazier continued to battle it out as they were the only competitors to clear 14 feet.

But when the bar was raised six inches, it was Thunen who emerged victorious for the second straight event.

In the last heavyweight event, the caber toss, the competitors had to throw a 20-foot-long, 100-pound log end-over-end attempting to land it perpendicular. Any degree of variation was counted against the competitor.

In a twist of events, neither Frazier nor Thunen won this event as a Navy competitor emerged from the pack.

"Usually it is safe to put your money on Sgt. Frazier," said Petty Officer 3rd Class John Coleda, winner of the caber toss with a perfect throw. "I snuck in under the radar. Frazier is not unbeatable, except maybe in wrestling."

When the final scores were tallied, it was Frazier's dominance in the wrestling matches coupled with Thunen's fifth place finish in the same event that proved to be the decisive factors in who claimed the Highland Heavyweight title.

As "Team Frazier" emerged victorious, he congratulated his competitor seeming well aware of just how close the match was.

"He is big and a great athlete," Frazier said in a somber tone. "He would have done better if this wasn't his first time (competing in Highland Games)."

Ellie