PDA

View Full Version : SMP goes races

thedrifter
05-18-07, 08:45 AM
SMP goes races
Lance Cpl. Evelio Ramos

(May 11-14, 2007) -- Marines of Parris Island and MCAS Beaufort set off on a trip to Darlington, SC., for NASCAR's Diamond Hill Plywood 200 and the Dodge Avenger 500 Weekend May 11-14. The trip was sponsored by Tri-Command Marine Corps Community Services-South Carolina Single Marine and Sailor Program.

The event was open to Tri-Command Marines and sailors eligible for the SMP and who had permission to attend from their respective chain-of-command.

"This is one of the many trips provided by the Single Marine and Sailor Program to give Marines a break from work," said Jimmie Woods, assistant coordinator, SMP. "Most commands approve of our trips, because they give Marines time to get refreshed and be ready to return to work."

"We would like [the commands] to promote more of what the SMP does, so more Marines get the opportunity to take advantage of it," added Woods.

The cost for the trip was $200 per person and included round-trip transportation, lodging for three nights, race tickets and a ticket to the Darlington Stripe Zone Hospitality Tent at the race.

The hospitality tent provided an all you can eat buffet with dinner, snacks and unlimited beverages, live entertainment, pre-race gift passes, free race door prices, as well as a question-and-answer session featuring former and current NASCAR superstars like Bud Moore and Cotton Owens and special guest appearances by drivers Dale Earhart Jr. and Jeff Burton.

"I heard about this trip from a corporal in my shop," said Lance Cpl. Miles B. Adkins, avionics technician, Marine Attack Fighter Squadron-122, MCAS Beaufort. "I thought it was a great price for the trip and decided to go."

The next scheduled SMP trip is to the Atlanta Braves Weekend Series verses the Detroit Tigers at Turner Field, Atlanta, June 22 - 23.

The cost of the trip will be $125 and will include roundtrip transportation, hotel accommodations and tickets for the game.

"[The SMP] would like to see more people continue to participate on our trips. We are here to help Marines and sailors have a good time," concluded Woods. "It's their program."

Ellie