PDA

View Full Version : Marine honored for achievement

thedrifter
05-18-07, 08:35 AM
Marine honored for achievement
By Eric Reinagel
Press & Sun-Bulletin

JOHNSON CITY -- Marine Cpl. Matthew Leespent most of the time during his first tour of duty in Iraq, from March 2005 to October 2005, on a ship, but he also spent a month as a radio operator in a light armory reconnaissance unit. By the time the Class of 1999 graduate of Johnson City High School returned to Iraq for a second tour, between July 2006 and February 2007, the Marines were using a completely new system for communication.

Lee's ability to understand and utilize the new communication system is the reason he received the Herbert A. Littleton Award on Tuesday at Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Va. The national award is given to a Marine for operational achievement in communication.

Lee, who is part of 2nd Battalion 8th Marines regiment at Camp Lejeune, N.C., said he enlisted in the Marines in 2003 after dropping out of college at State University of New York at Oswego. "I kind of lost focus," he said about school. But the 25-year-old said joining the Marines has helped him refocus.

"I chose infantry unit because I wanted to do something different. I wanted to be deployed," said Lee, who is the son Michael and Margaret Lee of Endicott. Both his father and grandfather served in the military.

After his first tour in Iraq, Lee said, he had to study hard to learn the new communication equipment, which amounts to a high-tech switchboard instead of talking to each unit from individual radios. He said he eventually learned the system after a lot of late nights, staying up 24 or 36 hours to do troubleshooting.

"Honestly, this whole thing seems a little crazy to me," said Lee about receiving the award. "This whole thing is just a direct reflection of my captain especially, and the Marines I work with."

Ellie