PDA

View Full Version : Korea veteran gives photos and papers to Bayonne Library

thedrifter
05-18-07, 06:59 AM
Korea veteran gives photos and papers to Bayonne Library
Friday, May 18, 2007

The Bayonne Public Library has added a collection of Korean War-era photos and documents donated by Marine Corps veteran Henry Danilowski to its collection of materials related to local military veterans, library director Sneh Bains said.

Danilowski, formerly of Bayonne, trained as a Marine Corps reservist at the former Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne from 1948 to 1950, when the unit was activated to serve in the Korean War.

In a narrative he supplied with his materials, Danilowski said: "I wish to have some kind of history recorded in our town, of the Bayonne kids who became men in November 1950 in the 'Land of the Morning Calm,' Korea."

Danilowski said that fellow Marine Corps veteran John Sinnicki encouraged him to join the reservists at the old Bayonne naval base and he did, in February 1948. He took correspondence courses in photography and, later, graduated as an official photographer from the Marines' school in Quantico, Va.

"My photography career ended abruptly in Camp Pendleton, Calif., in 1950 (when he was assigned to active duty) and I was assigned to Military Intelligence, 7th Marines, as a map-maker, since I was a draftsman for the Electro Dynamics Division in Bayonne," Danilowski said.

Danilowski was assigned duties as a light machine gunner with Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines. The history of that unit is recorded at the new Marine Corps museum in Quantico, Va.

The former Bayonne base - now undergoing conversion to civilian use as the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor - is home to a memorial honoring Danilowski's fellow reservists who died in Korea at the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

JOURNAL STAFF

Ellie