PDA

View Full Version : Denning takes helm of VMMT-204

thedrifter
05-18-07, 06:38 AM
May 18, 2007 - 12:00AM
Denning takes helm of VMMT-204

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Col. Mark "Droopy" Clark didn't want to say goodbye to his Raptors.

That's because, he said, the Marines of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Training Squadron 204 have become family.

But duty calls.

Before Thursday, Clark served as the commanding officer of VMMT-204, a squadron that trains assault support and special operations personnel to deploy with the MV-22 Osprey squadrons.

He passed the flag to Col. Gary M. Denning in a hangar on the flight line under rainy skies Thursday morning.

Clark was given a standing ovation by his Marines for his leadership in recent years. But the colonel, who was selected for brigadier general and will soon be working at the Pentagon, was quick to praise his Marines for their perseverance, commitment, courage and compassion.

"No matter how wet, how tired, how cold they were, they completed their mission," he said, adding that they usually had a smile on their faces. "When it was all said and done, we came together as a team."

He called the squadron the "mothership" of the MV-22 community, one that has faced a number of challenges in its time.

"I guess when you can overcome those challenges and come together as a family it just makes it that much more rewarding," he said.

The squadron was redesignated as VMMT-204 in 1999, when Marines began to train pilots and support operational evaluation of the Osprey, according to the squadron's Web site.

A Jacksonville crash in 2000 killed four Marines and led to the grounding of the Osprey and VMMT-204. The squadron returned to flight in October 2005 and since that time has flown more than 2,000 hours.

Clark said his Marines have a passion for what they do and a constant willingness to help each other out.

"They're the type of people that if somebody stumbles, someone is there to pick them up," he said. "It's very bittersweet leaving here. I'll miss the people the most."

Denning, who recently served as the operations officer for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, said he is excited about taking over the squadron but "a little bit in awe of everything Col. Clark did" during his time as commanding officer.

"I am truly honored to serve this squadron," he said. "I pledge to serve you with the same passion Colonel Clark did."

Denning is looking forward to continuing the Marine Corps' transition to the Osprey.

"The transition of helicopter squadrons to tiltrotor squadrons is a big mission," he said. "But this is our third tour at New River (Air Station) - it's really home for us."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie