PDA

View Full Version : Super Squad?

Quinbo
05-18-07, 02:26 AM
I am curious if the Marine Corps Super Squad competition is still held? I was part of a super squad twice in 3rd Marines and once in 5th Marines. We came in a close second in 5th Marines.

Quinbo
05-19-07, 11:25 AM
Odd that no one has responded.

The super squad competition in all infantry skills .. 13 Marines and a Corpsman. It lasts a week. Everything that a squad would encounter in a combat situation is tested and graded and compared to other squads. You are in a fishbowl the entire seven days and there is no rest. In the early 80's it was a Marine Corps wide competition and then was reduced to a Division competition. The winning squad recieved a gold badge to wear next to their marksmanship badges and ever single member of the squad got promoted. The badge was very similar to the emblem on the good conduct medal.

Quinbo
05-19-07, 11:36 AM
That darn 5 minute rule got me on edits. I should note that every squad was not the winning squad. All troups that participated but did not win recieved a meritorious mast and the NCO's recieved a Navy Achievment Medal. I was a Lcpl in all 3 that I participated in.

maverickmarine
05-19-07, 12:12 PM
That sounds cool and I know I would've entered into it but no I didn't hear anything about it when I was in.

chibon
09-28-08, 11:03 PM
Just cruisin' through and saw your question. I was with Fox 2/3 and competed on a float at Camp Hansen in, I think, mid-late 1977. Forgot all about that! Good question tho'; we got beat out by a squad from, I believe, 4th Marines on Oki. Too long ago to be accurate.

jdhilljr
11-14-08, 03:38 AM
It's funny I ran into this post. I was the assistant squad leader for the Bravo 1/4 who won that contest and went to DC. We came in 6th overall in the finals.

2ndCEBSupply
11-14-08, 11:26 AM
I didnt know anything about Super squads till a year ago some bouncer was braging to me about how he won it. I wonder if he was for real or not.

jdhilljr
11-14-08, 01:37 PM
As far as I know it is held every year. When I was in it was held at Quanico, VA. It was a nice vacation for us going to Washington DC from Okinawa and getting to see the evening parade at the Marine barracks at 8th and "I".

Messenger
11-14-08, 02:02 PM
Back in 1987 when I checked into my first FMF unit (A Co. 1/1), members of my platoon had just returned from Washington DC where they each were presented Super Squad Medals/Badge (not sure if it technically is a medal or a badge) . If I recall correctly, one squad was selected from each Division, but I do not recall that there was a competition between the winning Division squads to see who was the all around winner.

The medal was about one inch wide and one in a half inches tall and made of all bronze I believe. It was worn on the same line as the rifle and pistol badges, if I recall correctly.

The Last I remember hearing about Supper Squad was in 1990 while in 5th Marines, as they were preparing to kick off the competition again. Unfortunately, I believe that the competition was shelved due to the pending deployment to the Gulf War. Other then that, I have no idea if it was ever started up again as i seperated right after returning from the war.

Semper Fi

DizzyG
02-03-09, 06:20 PM
I am curious if the Marine Corps Super Squad competition is still held? I was part of a super squad twice in 3rd Marines and once in 5th Marines. We came in a close second in 5th Marines.
Hello,
I'm Sgt George Diaz, and I competed in the Super Squad competition the first year it was reactivated, I believe in 1971/2. I was stationed in Okinawa at the time. The first year my squad came in 3rd place, and we won the bronze medal, pinned on our coats by the Commandant of the Marine Corp in Quantico, VA, General Chapman. The following year, we came in 4th place. Training was extensive, an officer was assigned to our squad to trained up physically. My email address is conan1951@msn.com (conan1951@msn.com). The training consisted of every facet of military tactics. As far as I can remember, the training lasted at least two to three months.
Are there any archives that I can go to and obtain the names of the rest of my squad names. I do not remember taking pictures, nor do I have any of the experience. I was hoping to find more information. Thx!

parafrog17
04-07-09, 06:57 PM
I was at Camp Hansen with Echo Co. 2/5 and came in second place??? Fox Co. beat us out. I was a Lcpl then and the Squad Leader. I still remember Cpl. Galardo from Fox Co. He was the S/L who led the team that beat us.
19 years later it still upsets me.

DizzyG
04-21-09, 03:35 PM
I was at Camp Hansen with Echo Co. 2/5 and came in second place??? Fox Co. beat us out. I was a Lcpl then and the Squad Leader. I still remember Cpl. Galardo from Fox Co. He was the S/L who led the team that beat us.
19 years later it still upsets me.
Hi,
Sorry that I did not get to your thread earlier, this is my work email, and I do not get to these emails often. I too was stationed at Camp Hansen all of 1972 and part of 1973. I received an earlier thread, and the former marine sent me a digital booklet of the names of the marines who won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Have you seen it? Let me know, and I can forward you the email.

parafrog17
04-21-09, 03:44 PM
Nice to see that this forum does work, I was begining to wonder.

I was @ Hansen on a 6 month pump that's all. After returning to CONUS I indoc'd for Recon and spent the rest of my time in the Recon Community.

We deployed to Somalia in 1992. I was the TL for team Hagen, if any of your Devils are out there Semper Gumby, remember the RED CLAY???

Old Marine
04-21-09, 05:13 PM
I didn't think that the 5th Marines ever finished 2nd in anything.

Quinbo
04-21-09, 05:24 PM
We lost to 1st Marines ... General Mundys son Capt Mundy was the CO of the unit we lost to. Top secret information .... shhhh ;)

Steve Wohlfiel
08-23-09, 02:49 PM
I was part of super squad 3 times with 3rd marines. we took a 1st, and 2nd in division. I have one gold medal, and it was one of the proudest moments I had in the corps. I still keep in contact with the Marines I served with during that time. (1987-1991)

Petz
08-26-09, 01:50 AM
so is this defunct now? has anyone confirmed this is still going on?

Brian Bunt
03-24-10, 09:18 AM
My Name is Brian and I am Proud to say that the 31st Commandant of the Marine Corp Carl E. Mundy Jr. Pinned the gold Super Squad badge to my chest at 8th and I Marine Corps Barracks, Washington D.C. I won it with 2nd battalion 4th Marines, Echo Company in June of 1994. We kicked tail. I also won the first ever Top Doc award during the competition. I also won the following year the John Henry Balch award, and it was based on my performance during the super squad competition. It was a brutal competition, a week long with little to no sleep. Everything from night ops deploying from a CH-53 to rapid river crossings, buddy you name it we did it..Not to mention all the rounds of shooting at Stone Bay Rifle Range. I am very proud of my service, especially my time with the Marines. I will never forget my squad mates. We were lead by then Sgt. O'brien, a die hard leatherneck. Semper-Fi......

rolivera435
06-24-10, 11:11 PM
I was in suer squad back in 1980 with 3rd marine div India co 6th marines believe we came in 3 rd place

Komenko
06-25-10, 12:29 AM
I'll check in the 53 area of Camp Pendleton, if this is still going on today. there is a large wooden sign that has the last super squad listed with a date!

hussaf
06-25-10, 01:24 AM
That darn 5 minute rule got me on edits. I should note that every squad was not the winning squad. All troups that participated but did not win recieved a meritorious mast and the NCO's recieved a Navy Achievment Medal. I was a Lcpl in all 3 that I participated in.

Lol, more proof that awards are not rank-based! Sorry for the interruption, just had to let that out.

salty35
08-17-10, 01:17 PM
I was attached to Fox 2/5 1plt 1sqd and we were the 1993 Super Squad Division Champs. Sgt. Martin was our squad leader. It was fantastic, we all were sent to D.C. to meet Gen. Mundy. Good Times!!

Beltayn
08-17-10, 02:01 PM
We were recently having a conversation about this on Terminal Lance.
My understanding is that it mostly died off when the war broke out.

Dagger3
08-29-10, 09:54 PM
I won it in 96' with 2/6, Gen Krulak pinned my Gold SS Badge, good times!

rhbartsch
10-26-10, 10:03 PM
I was with Mike Co. 3/9, the winning squad in 1976. It was a Corps wide competition then. We started training in the fall of '75 and flew back to Quantico for the competition in May of '76. An experience I will never forget. We were at 8th and I for the announcement. Gen. Jasilka, assistant Commandant, Gen. Wilson was out of the country we were told, pinned the gold on us. It was a definite team competition!!

usmc987332
10-27-10, 12:13 AM
I didnt know anything about Super squads till a year ago some bouncer was braging to me about how he won it. I wonder if he was for real or not.
I never heard of it when I was in, but it did (and may still exist) at one time. I believe it is a competition within a division. I have never heard of an overall competition, but it is possible there was a Corps wide competition. I just never heard of itl.

Richard1stbt5th
11-25-10, 07:50 PM
I was in Super squad in 1983 in Okinawa. I was with Charlie Company 5th Marines. We lost to 3/9 I believe. That was some serious training. I learned so much. everything i still know. My fondest memory was at the Dinner ceremony Col. Dabney, "Chesty's" son-in-Law was the one who announced the winner. He was Capt. Dabney at Khe Sahn.. I wish I had pictures. All my pics/deployment book got lost in a move. Tragic.

mico2222
12-01-10, 01:38 AM
In 2000 we took 2d MarDiv Super Squad and i was with 3rd Battalion 8th Marines Kilo Co, in 2001 we went to Oki and took 3rd MarDiv Super Squad as well. I was unable to participate in the one in Oki since i had to fly back for emergency leave. The day i returned to Oki the competition had began and i did not make the roster in time. The squad from 3/8 still took it though. The badge still looks amazing on my uniform even though i no longer wear it since i was medically retired in 2006.

Semper Fi!

mico2222
12-01-10, 01:54 AM
I never heard of it when I was in, but it did (and may still exist) at one time. I believe it is a competition within a division. I have never heard of an overall competition, but it is possible there was a Corps wide competition. I just never heard of itl.

I still work for the Corps in a different capacity and what i have heard is when the rotation levels out Super Squad should start back up. To be honest, in the 6 months i was part of super squad, i learned more about tactics then the 2yrs i had in service.

To answer the comment above, yes, it is (was Marine Corps wide). Each company would stack up a TO squad of Marines and Corpsman to compete against the other companies in the BN. The winner would go to regimental level amongst their respective regiment. The winner of that would go against the rememaining squads from each division. The Division winners have a ceremony where the Div CG would award the plaques. All the winning squads from each Division go up to HQ Marine Corps Barracks to receive the Super Squad Badge from the Commandant and SgtMaj during the evening parade, good times!!!!

mico2222
12-01-10, 03:02 AM
For those who have not seen the Gold Badge, here it is. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. vwmico@gmail.com

file:///Users/VWMICO/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/mico2222/photo.jpg

franco90
01-25-11, 08:50 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs034.ash2/35048_1437666113814_1597846639_31033322_8003431_n. jpg
This is a picture of the Super Squad Badge

lcpltway
02-17-11, 02:57 AM
In 2000 we took 2d MarDiv Super Squad and i was with 3rd Battalion 8th Marines Kilo Co, in 2001 we went to Oki and took 3rd MarDiv Super Squad as well. I was unable to participate in the one in Oki since i had to fly back for emergency leave. The day i returned to Oki the competition had began and i did not make the roster in time. The squad from 3/8 still took it though. The badge still looks amazing on my uniform even though i no longer wear it since i was medically retired in 2006.

Semper Fi!

i think you might be full of **** i was in the 2001 squad and we started before we even got to oki i dont recall your name? I was a member of this squad and a damn proud recipent of the gold super squad badge and the nam! We had 13 members before we went to OKI and I dont remember you Dont be a fake and clame what you didnt earn. You are or were a Marine,so dont claim to be what you are not! Me and my team mates worked our asses off to be the best that the Marines had to offer and I dont take kind to a want'a'be saying they are something that they are not. Have a nice day!!! SIMPER FI!!!!!!

mico2222
03-14-11, 01:17 AM
i think you might be full of **** i was in the 2001 squad and we started before we even got to oki i dont recall your name? I was a member of this squad and a damn proud recipent of the gold super squad badge and the nam! We had 13 members before we went to OKI and I dont remember you Dont be a fake and clame what you didnt earn. You are or were a Marine,so dont claim to be what you are not! Me and my team mates worked our asses off to be the best that the Marines had to offer and I dont take kind to a want'a'be saying they are something that they are not. Have a nice day!!! SIMPER FI!!!!!!

Really? So who are you? I was Cpl Jaramillo at the time we went to Oki in Dec 2000 with 3/8 and returned in June 2001 and i had to fly back to bury both of my great grand parents. Last time i checked, my first 4 i was with 3/8 until i went over and became ITB instructor. Do you also want me to post up the picture of the squad? By the way, the SQ leader was SSgt Poe who is now a gunner, explain that one.

mico2222
03-14-11, 01:29 AM

It's even so amazing that you don't even have your information on your profile but are so quick to talk smack. Look me up on global if you have any more question since your profile says "still in service"

mico2222
03-14-11, 01:46 AM
Going back to things, the whole time i was in the Corps as an 03, i never heard anyone ever say what you wrote "Me and my team mates", that sounds like a civilian or someone who's never been in. I always hear or said ME AND MY MARINES, please someone correct me if i'm wrong. I just can't let this go, my integrety has never been question until this person posted. I apologize to the rest of you.

cincymarine
05-04-11, 01:38 PM
I was on the 3rd MarDiv winning squad in 02. 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines Golf Company. I was pinned by Gen. Jones in Washington DC.

marine1011
05-04-11, 02:25 PM
lcpltway is way out of line. But that's usual for this forum. Plenty of guys like that

TheReservist
05-04-11, 02:57 PM
How was a SSgt a squad leader?

mico2222
05-04-11, 03:51 PM
How was a SSgt a squad leader?

You have a TO squad of 12 Marines and 1 Corpsman, 1 SSgt as SNCOIC/PLT Sgt

TheReservist
05-04-11, 08:18 PM
exactly a SSgt as a Plt. Sgt. in the t/o

Squad leader in the infantry is a sgt billet

Quinbo
05-04-11, 10:19 PM
You have a TO squad of 12 Marines and 1 Corpsman, 1 SSgt as SNCOIC/PLT Sgt

A T/O squad is 1 sgt, 3 cpls, 3 lcpls, 3 pfc's and 3 privates plus 1 corpsman. If my math is right that is 13 Marines and a corpsman and the senior most member is a Sgt. It is super squad not super platoon. There may have been a SSgt involved in the work up but would not have been a participant in the competition.

I know that Army infantry routinely has E-6's as squad leaders and the platoon sergeant is an E-7. It doesn't work that way in the Marines.

mico2222
05-04-11, 11:11 PM
A T/O squad is 1 sgt, 3 cpls, 3 lcpls, 3 pfc's and 3 privates plus 1 corpsman. If my math is right that is 13 Marines and a corpsman and the senior most member is a Sgt. It is super squad not super platoon. There may have been a SSgt involved in the work up but would not have been a participant in the competition.

I know that Army infantry routinely has E-6's as squad leaders and the platoon sergeant is an E-7. It doesn't work that way in the Marines.

I stand corrected!

Well actually you only get (1) Corpsman per PLT not per squad. A squad is (3) Teams of (4) Marines= 12 + (1) squad leader =13

Each team has:
1 Team leader
1 Saw Gunner
1 Assistant Saw Gunner
1 Rifleman

E-6 is a SSgt (0369) is a PLT Sgt, in a "regular" infantry plt, E-7 is a Gunny and usually a PLT Sgt for WPNS PLT but an SSgt can also hold that.

Since super squad operated away from the company, we needed to have a SNCO to sign for everything, Our squad Leader could have been a SGT at the time, i need to dig up the picture to confirm.

mico2222
05-04-11, 11:21 PM
OK, just confirmed. Our squad Leader was a SGT at the time, article in link below:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcblejeune/Pages/news/2000/Third%20Battalion,%208th%20Marines%20receive%20Cor ps%20competition%20badge.aspx

CplBoergers8531
09-29-11, 10:59 PM
Just to set the record straight, Lcpl Jaramillo WAS a member of the squad when we won for 2nd MARDIV. I think he may have the dates a little backwards. If anyone wants to dispute it with me please feel free. I was on that squad as the point man, I served as back-up Navigator and if I recall correctly we won that while Treadway was still in recruit training. Treadway also won with the same unit in Oki in 2001 I was there for that too, though not on the squad at the time. I hope this can clear the air on this post: Below is the list of Marines that won in 2000, rank may have changed after competition. From left to right on the official photo taken @ 3/8 a week or so after the comp.
LCpl Berry
LCpl Moik
PFC Nolan
Cpl Bonar
LCpl Boergers
Cpl Lambert
Sgt Poe/Squad Leader...Now Marine Gunner Poe OOOORAHHHH
Doc Dudash
Cpl Busa
SSgt Schweindinger...(hope I spelled that right)
LCpl Shelton
LCpl Jarimillo
LCpl Suarez
PFC Marengo
Lcpl Kuebrich.

The 2 PFC's came to the unit with Treadway, the SNCOIC did not count against T&E nor did the 2 "alts" there was a switch because of Jarimillo's familly emergency which made him unable to compete.

Treadway,
If you think I am tossing a lie ask Lambert. He did both competitions, mine as a team leader, yours as squad leader. I believe your SNCOIC was SSgt Khuns(Spelling). Next time do your homework and never bash a brother....there is nothing wrong with calling out a liar, but be sure he is a liar before you call him out. Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

mico2222
09-30-11, 12:32 AM
Hey Boergers, long time no hear. How you been? Kinstle was also part of the squad but if you remember what happened, he was not able to take part in the picture or the evening parade.