PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted Quarters

zackmerc
05-17-07, 06:06 PM
Hello,

I understand that old age barracks with bunks lined up next to each other are gone now. I also was told that enslited quarters have now taken their place. Is it like a dorm or apartment of some kind?

Also, I believe privates and lance corporals are assigned to a room with others. Do you have the same rooms with guys that have the same MOS or outfit as you or do you randomly get assigned to others? Like Marine Engineers share the same quarters and Infantry Marines share the same quarters, etc.

There is also a large bathroom on each floor right? A little like dorms?

Thank you. I don't know if I was appropriate in comparing dorms with enlisted quarters. Please excuse me.

rvillac2
05-17-07, 06:20 PM
At Lejeune, our quarters were roughly the same size as dorm rooms. Two dorm rooms shared a private head.
Non-rates were often 3/room while NCOs were 2/room.

Our unit always was always housed in the same or adjacent buildings. Your roommates were your squad or platoon mates.

If you were permanent staff on the base (MP, Base Admin, etc.), things are different and you can get placed among a variety of personnel.

This was early 90's. I'm curious if things have changed.

Also, we were still in squadbays (barracks), while in MOS school. Is this still the same?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-17-07, 07:35 PM
We didn't always live with people from our platoon. They tried to keep the unit together, but there were more of us than we had space for- so a few would be in other barracks.

From what I understand not all of the squad bays are out of commission.

Zulu 36
05-17-07, 08:36 PM
My last unit in the Corps, in 1977, was MPCo, 1stMarDiv. We lived in an old WWII barracks with open bays. We did make cubicles of wall lockers, and we each had two lockers. Each deck had a large head in the center between squad bays.

We were the only company in HQBn to live in old barracks. Everyone else lived in the new motels that had three-man rooms each with their own head. Nobody likes the cops. The whole company was never present anyway. At least 50% or more were always FAP to Base PMO and living over there.

Non-rates had two to a cube (stacked racks) and shared a desk/chair. NCOs had our own squad bay with single racks and our own desk/chair in our cubes. The NCO bay also had a reefer (no beer allowed).

Our bay also had the breaker box for the second deck. Once in a while the non-rates let their music get a little loud of a Friday or Saturday night after taps. One of the NCOs would just pull the breakers for their squad bay. Hint given and usually taken.

I hated the place as I was the senior sergeant living in barracks. Everything that went wrong at night or on weekends I was in the 1stSgt's office over. I got pretty p*ssed because we did stand a Duty NCO every night who was supposed to be responsible, and I wasn't always around anyway during liberty hours. "Jeeze, 1st Sgt, I didn't have the duty so I was at a motel all weekend with my girlfriend. How am I supposed to know the non-rates had a beer party Saturday night?" :cry:

1stRad2671
05-17-07, 08:55 PM
It's totally dependent on where you end up and what unit you're with.

In Hawaii, at first Corporal and below were 3 (2 if you're lucky) to a room which had its own head. Two Sgts to a room. The rooms were a little larger than average. The doors opened to an inside hallway.

I returned from a deployment to the new barracks which had finally been finished. These were more like apartments and the doors opened to a courtyard. Two per room for Corporals and below, or 1 Sgt. These rooms had adjustable AC, a full size regular fridge (no more defrosting for field day:banana:), and a microwave. The old barracks were demolished, probably some new ones there now.

In both cases we generally roomed with members of the same company. The unit really didn't break down any further than that. The op tempo was crazy with people coming and going all the time, so it was pointless.

In looking for pictures of the K-Bay barracks, I just found a pic of one of my 1st Sgts.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2004/Jul/25/postcard.jpg&imgrefurl=http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dispatches/postcards/mailbag/PC41048B4DE28D4&h=300&w=400&sz=79&hl=en&start=24&um=1&tbnid=a6pw_1VuImtvUM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkaneohe%2Bmcbh%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D 20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26 sa%3DN

zackmerc
05-17-07, 09:52 PM
I see Thank you.

Personal items such as radios, televisions, toys, and other material are not allowed right?

Zulu 36
05-17-07, 10:17 PM
I see Thank you.

Personal items such as radios, televisions, toys, and other material are not allowed right?

Toys? Like battery-powered vibrating things? ;)

Usually such personal things are allowed once in the fleet. Toys I'm not too certain about.

killerinstinct
05-18-07, 09:30 AM
cant have hard liqour only beer..

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-18-07, 04:01 PM
cant have hard liqour only beer..

That is a command decision. We were allowed to have a "reasonable amount" of alcohol of any sort.

Everyone had stereos, tvs, many had computers, etc. Once you get to the fleet you have a little bit of say in how you live. We didn't even have to have military racks- we used comforters. It isn't like a college dorm, but it isn't horrible either.

zackmerc
05-18-07, 08:53 PM
Toys I meant little things people like to keep.
I am thinking of starting a collection of different action figures and wondered if I had to leave them behind at home or something.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-19-07, 12:35 AM
Action figures? If it is small enough to lock up in your wall locker it would probably be OK. I wouldn't want to leave them sitting around though.

davblay
05-19-07, 12:50 AM
GI Joe????

killerinstinct
05-19-07, 07:47 AM
Toys I meant little things people like to keep.
I am thinking of starting a collection of different action figures and wondered if I had to leave them behind at home or something.

HAHAH id DEFINATELY keep those locked up....

One thing ill try to keep you informed on is that we have a sick sadistic sincdeof humor and youll never know what would be done to them... i.e finding them setup in some sexual behvaior in time for sgtmajor to inspect ur room for field day...

killerinstinct
05-19-07, 07:57 AM
That is a command decision. We were allowed to have a "reasonable amount" of alcohol of any sort.

Everyone had stereos, tvs, many had computers, etc. Once you get to the fleet you have a little bit of say in how you live. We didn't even have to have military racks- we used comforters. It isn't like a college dorm, but it isn't horrible either.

yea but now its usulaly base wide or sometimes for a huyge commandc...

in oki last i was there we could only buy 1 6 pac a day if you were a Marine and that was even on air force bases and i think only staff nco's could get the wine or alcohol .....

but that was the befroe that commander went to become maroforpac commander and xtarted rolling down there

zackmerc
05-19-07, 10:28 AM
Action figures made my McFalrane's

My recruiter has a bunch of Marine action figures. He has a Recon Sniper and several other Marines.

People are going to vandalize them sexually? Wow, I'd better watch out/ Hahahaha.

maverickmarine
05-19-07, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I would be careful about those freakin' action figures. I have already come up with multiple ways to screw with you about those things and I'm not even in the fleet anymore. You tend to warp your sense of humor when in the barracks. Pretty much all barracks I as in besides the older style in certain places, were as described above with two adjacent rooms and one head for the suite. But, I guess I was lucky because we generally had E-4 and below at two to a room and once I picked up Sgt. I had my own and always did from there on out besides the occasional other Sgt. that might have been passing through standing by for orders or something. And the building was housing my unit so nobody from different units in the barracks. I always had a couple Lance's that would square away the head though, LOL.

Echo4Kilo
05-19-07, 11:29 AM
It was pretty much the same in pendleton. Dorm style 3-4 decks, 2 rooms shared a head, usually 2-3 "non-rates" per room, and unless we were over loaded (in some cases they asked NCo's if they wanted to move out to town) 1-2 Cpl's to a room and normally no Sgt's in the barracks. At first they had us separated by company and then platoon and MOS. We were allowed to set our rooms up pretty much how we wanted, within reason that is. But I should warn you, do not leave things unsecured, if you have things displayed, lock them up when you leave, bad things happen to people who leave trash unsecured. Towards the end it got kind of crazy and the new SNCOIC wanted a whole new cluster****ed plan, but thats what happens when you change personnel, they all have their own ideas on how things should be run. Infantry units are a lot more strict in this than most.

zackmerc
05-19-07, 07:35 PM
Thank you sir and everyone!

I am going to be in the Infantry so I guess I should start practicing organizing my stuff. My room amy not be a Marine Corps Quarters but its a start.

Marine84
05-19-07, 09:04 PM
HAHAH id DEFINATELY keep those locked up....

One thing ill try to keep you informed on is that we have a sick sadistic sincdeof humor and youll never know what would be done to them... i.e finding them setup in some sexual behvaior in time for sgtmajor to inspect ur room for field day...

You just made me think about this guy I knew with one of the squadrons at El Toro - he came down to my room (which was 3 of us - good luck, by the way, getting laid with that many people in one room - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) and was wanting me to go down to his room, he wanted me to meet Wendy. His roomie and him had bought some blow up doll with yellow pigtails and named it Wendy (cause it looked just like the girl on the Wendy's sign).

So..............I would leave the action figures at home. Not only will they be placed in compromising positions by your roomies, they will be named also. You will find you will meet alllllllllllllllllllll kinds of people - some of them are twisted - that's not always a bad thing though.

Another perk with being a woman sometimes - there were so few of us in Iwakuni that we were lucky enough to be one to a room WITH a door on it! I've been told about something called a Quality of Life thing that the Corps started in the 90's somewhere - these guys can put their own linen on their racks!!!!! We were issued white sheets and that scratchy ass wool blanket (that kept you warm for sure).

zackmerc
05-19-07, 10:15 PM
Wow,

I wonder if my sense of humor will be warped too.
Better do what you guys say, it's unpredictable there.