PDA

View Full Version : Question

army17
05-17-07, 12:25 PM
Hello Marines.

I am a Pfc. in the United States Army and I have some questions reguarding switching branches. When I first planned on enlisting, I was deeply considering the Marines. Then I discovered that I would have to wait a year to enlist due to the medication I was on at the current moment, so I went in the Army following family tradition instead. I have nothing against any branch, but I feel like I need more of a challenge and in the back of my mind, a voice is screaming you fool, the Marines is what you need! As of right now I am in the reserves, but I want to be able to switch to the Marines. If anyone knows anything about this or has been through this that would be greatly appreciated.

Marine84
05-17-07, 12:39 PM
You'll have to start from square one..........................BOOTCAMP!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-17-07, 01:32 PM
You can make the switch. You will have do to a component switch which isn't difficult if your unit will sign off on it.

You will have to go to boot camp. You will graduate as a PFC, which is E-2 in the Marine Corps.

rvillac2
05-17-07, 02:20 PM
C'mon, Do IT!
You'll be allowed to wear your ribbons from the Army when you graduate. Great conversation piece. ; )

army17
05-18-07, 09:40 AM
LoL thanx alot

army17
05-19-07, 12:28 PM
You'll have to start from square one..........................BOOTCAMP!

Your right, and looking forward to it!

maverickmarine
05-19-07, 12:33 PM
Come on over and GET SOME!!!!!!

Cash2053
06-05-07, 04:52 PM
Dont even think about it,just do it. You will not be dissappointed. Should not have any problems as long as your unit will release you.

Cash2053
06-05-07, 04:52 PM
Dont even think about it,just do it. You will not be dissappointed. Should not have any problems as long as your unit will release you.

GySgtRet
06-05-07, 06:18 PM
You have not mentioned exactly how long you have been with your reserve component, or have you? Are they working up to deploy? Ifthey are do not wait at all just do it don;t think about it. You have finished your obligation to your family tradition now join our family. You should be a show in. Not really but it sounded good. Go to a Marine Recruiter and find out how to get it done. Don't go reserve go regular unless there is something like a child or obligations to your family to take care of.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Almost S**&$% F#

chili77bowl
06-05-07, 08:31 PM
dude, I did it...

I was with the Army National Guard for 5 years...didn't even finish that contract...and got a "Conditional Release".
The condition was that I join the Corps.
So, Jan 16th, 2000 SPC. P became Recruit P (USMC)
after 3 months of Boot Camp...I was PFC P (with my army ribbons/medals)
and here I am now...7 years later...
livin' the dream.

SgtHMH
06-05-07, 10:11 PM
I was thinking about this one, what if someone from another branch joining the Corps and they show up to Bootcamp in their other branch of service dress uniform. How would that go over on the Yellow Foot Prints ? I wonder if it ever happend before ?

Semper Fi

davblay
06-05-07, 11:56 PM
It would be hard to imagine anyone that stupid! :scared:

army17
06-08-07, 10:51 AM
I was thinking about this one, what if someone from another branch joining the Corps and they show up to Bootcamp in their other branch of service dress uniform. How would that go over on the Yellow Foot Prints ? I wonder if it ever happend before ?

Semper Fi

I really couldn't imagine that. I know I wouldn't. I'd show up as a traditional recruit and ready for the experience of a life.

Ebsteen
06-08-07, 11:08 AM
You'll Like Our Uniforms Better!!! Good Luck

davblay
06-08-07, 11:25 AM
I really couldn't imagine that. I know I wouldn't. I'd show up as a traditional recruit and ready for the experience of a life.

In 1969 we had a recruit graduated wearing more ribbons than all of our DI's put together, turns out he was prior service, ARMY 14 years, SSgt, with two Bronze stars with Valor, two tours in Nam! We never knew who he was during training and he didn't advertize it, just trained with the rest of us. Of course he made PFC out of boot, then L/Cpl out of AIT,then made CPL before he shipped to the Nam 5 months later. I ran into him in country 9 months after I got there and he was a SGT! He'd been nominated for the CMH, of course he was downsized, I found out later he got the Navy Cross! One hell of a Marine! I was proud to have known him! He was our gain and the Army's loss!

killerinstinct
06-08-07, 11:26 AM
C'mon, Do IT!
You'll be allowed to wear your ribbons from the Army when you graduate. Great conversation piece. ; )

just not the ribbon you guys get for learning how to march and swim:beer:

rvillac2
06-08-07, 04:42 PM
just not the ribbon you guys get for learning how to march and swim:beer:
Nor can you wear the "I can pee standing up" ribbon.

BR34
06-09-07, 08:33 AM
You won't get another ribbon for being a "granadier" though. :p

devilpup82
06-10-07, 05:39 AM
Should not be a problem if you are in the reserves/guard. You will have to attend Marine Corps boot camp. I served in all 4 branches, so I know it can be done. And if your old unit will release you, you don't have to complete that contract. A small caveat. Keep your records! When I tried to retire, the USAFR said I did not have 20 years. I had to explain that I had 23 good years. Each branch uses a different date to compute a good year. It's up to you to keep track of that.

Quinbo
07-01-07, 04:36 AM
I worked with a retired army warrent officer that liked to tell the story about his Marine boot camp experience. It was too tough for him so he went UA and joined the Army. MP's came and picked him up then didn't know what to do with him because he was now active Army. They finally just released him from his Marine contract. I never did doubt that he was telling the truth but a heck of a story either way.

Marine84
07-01-07, 09:00 AM
I served in all 4 branches, so I know it can be done.

I gotta ask.........................how in the hell did you do THAT? And WHY?