PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 comes home

thedrifter
05-17-07, 09:51 AM
THURSDAY MAY 17, 2007 Last modified: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:21 PM PDT

3/4 comes home

By LANCE CPL. NICOLE A LAVINE / Special to The Trail

MCAGCC — Marines and sailors with 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment returned home to a sea of friends and family members at Victory Field from Thursday, May 3 through Sunday, May 6 after a nine-month deploiyment to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

More than 800 Marines and sailors returned home from what was originally scheduled to be a seven-month deployment but was extended after President Bush announced unit extensions to increase forces in Iraq.

The extension affected four other Marine Corps units, including 1st Battalion (reinforced), 6th Marine Regiment; 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) consisting of 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment; Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 165 (reinforced) and Combat Logistics Battalion 15.

The reason behind the deployment extension was to increase forces in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

All units which extended can expect to be redeployed in aproximately seven to nine months, according to a press release issued Jan. 11 by Headquarters Marine Corps.

The extended deployments seemed to only intensify family and friends’ anticipation as the white buses rolled to a stop in front of Victory Field, which was scattered with banners and joyful shouting.

Irma Lozano, girlfriend of Lance Cpl. Andy Garcia of Weapons Company, said her 3-year-old son, Julian, wanted to go see “Spiderman 3” with Garcia when he returned.

“The whole war thing has always bothered me,” Lozano said. “But it never touched me like it does now. I’m so glad he’s coming home but I still feel bad for those who are not coming home.”

Cpl. Aaron M. Gordon, Company A Headquarters Battalion, was an infantryman and training noncommissioned officer with 3/4 from 2002 to 2005 and deployed with them three times before his move to Headquarters Battalion.

“It’s really weird being on this end instead of on the end that’s coming back,” said Gordon, who wrote “Welcome home, 3/4” on the back window of his truck to show his anticipation for their re-turn.

“I’m just stoked to know that I helped train them and that I helped bring my boys home safely today,” Gordon said.

Gordon said he is looking forward to exchanging stories and having a good time with his friends, and understands how it feels to return home after being gone for so long.

“I want to be there for them if they want to talk to someone who has been there and done that,” Gordon said.

Rita McKinney, a proud grandmother of several Marines, said she was welcoming six grandsons home that evening.

Although only one of the Marines who came home was her biological grandson, she claimed the other five as adoptive grandsons, having known them for years and bringing them into her home for holidays.

While her boys were overseas, McKinney said she sent all of them portable DVD players so they could watch their favorite movies.

“These are my boys and they deserve the best of everything as far as I’m concerned,” McKinney said.

Ellie