PDA

View Full Version : " Years Of Peace"

3BadgeMarine
03-09-03, 05:21 PM
It is often said in history books that after the Crimean War Britain enjoyed a half-century of peace.It is true that there were no major wars,but during this period somewhere in the World the Royal Marines were policing the Globe,Royal Marines fought in India,China,New Zealand,Gambia,Nigeria,Japan,Abyssinia,Gold Coast (Now Ghana),Malaya,Zululand,Egypt,Crete,and South Africa,thereby justifying the choice of the Globe as the emblem of the Corps.They also took part in a Civil War in Spain and put down a rebellion in Canada.They fought the Argentinians in Uruguay,and the Burmese in Burma.They bombarded the Arabs in Algiers,fought for the Turks in Syria,and against the Turks in Greece,defended the forts on the Gold Coast; they attacked the forts in Nicaragua and the Yemen.They destroyed the pirates in the West Indies and in the East Indies.They fought against the slave traders on the Atlantic and the Opium traders in China.they took part in the conquests of Aden and Hong Kong.All this during the Victorian era.well earned the Motto "Per Mare Per Terram".Aye JR

lurchenstein
03-11-03, 01:18 AM
Was Abyssinia part of (or all of) Ethiopia?

wrbones
03-11-03, 01:21 AM
http://www.abyssiniacybergateway.net/

About The Abyssinia Cyberspace Gateway
First things first; ``Abyssinia'' as a term is used here to celebrate the collective cutures and peoples encompassed under the broadest region generally associated with the term. ``Abyssinia'' as definable by the information available here, is the geographic region in East Africa bound by the present day borders of the nations (given alphabetically); Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Somaliland.

You are invited to add to the contents of this web site. Send your info, art (poems, music, gifs), humour, comments, suggestions, complaints, to the email address below. The only criteria for submissions is that the material be of a nonpolitical nature. Remember, this site is an information directory, at a lonely crossroads on the Information Super Highway...

3BadgeMarine
03-11-03, 04:17 AM
Regards to all.abyssinia in Victorian times was all of ethiopia.

wrbones
03-11-03, 08:15 AM
See! I knew 3Badge'd get us straightened out!

3BadgeMarine
03-11-03, 09:35 AM
Bones! Aw Shucks!Brother

lurchenstein
03-12-03, 01:58 AM
Did the "Skinnies" inhabit Abyssinia in Victorian times?:evilgrin:

3BadgeMarine
03-12-03, 04:18 AM
Chris! "Skinnies" Hell brother you've lost me there?.Aye JR

lurchenstein
03-12-03, 09:17 AM
An ill attempt at humor, 3-Badge. A "Skinnie" would be a victim of famine.:o

3BadgeMarine
03-12-03, 09:49 AM
Chris,Now I'm in the picture,Hell I should have known better after all the US of A,and the UK have been feeding the hungry masses for years,and has been the same for years Biting the hand that feeds ya. Aye Jr

Rob Parry
03-14-03, 03:13 PM
D'ya hear there. 3 Badge Bootneck will be joining his friends on the charity 30 miler across Dartmoor in May. JR will be leading from the front, carrying the safety bergen and generally goading us along, using his leadership skills and flamboyant character.

We are doomed!

Sticky blue
03-22-03, 03:48 PM
3Badge...

Grid to mag add! Mag to grid get rid

Now repeat it 300 times!

lurchenstein
03-23-03, 01:51 PM
Sticky blue
Grid to mag add! Mag to grid get rid
Liked the land navigation info (sticks in my memory). I can find my way out now!:D

Sticky blue
03-23-03, 02:07 PM
Lurchenstein... There are loads like that one!! I would have thought you'd know that one... it makes life easier if you remember it. I remember one of my instructors told me about map reading. He was called Bill:
"Lads, on my first juniors I was as fit as a greyhound and did the night navigation exercise. I didn't have a clue how to read a map properly but I could run! I ran all night and found the check points by covering all the possible ground. When I completed the course I got an old salt to teach me how to map read and navigate. On my seniors I was confident and still fit. I ran from one check point to the next and didn't miss a single one. I was back and in bed before anyone else. I'd used half the energy of my first one and done it in a quarter of the time. My advice guy it to trust your compass, count your paces and read your map! It worked for me.

lurchenstein
03-23-03, 02:22 PM
Good info, Sticky Blue!
I must confess that I did not (or had forgotten). Being a radio tech (& Marine Air Wing), I "rode in" to operating sites. Didn't get much chance to work land nav skills. Recently, bought a lensatic compass and now figuring out (all over again) how to work it correctly. Had some chances to operate GPS receivers when I worked a defense job in the 90's. That renewed my interest in the lensatic compass. (What happens when the GPS link is down?)

Rob Parry
03-24-03, 03:24 PM
East is Least, West is Best (East variation subtract, West variation Add)
Other map reading quotes,
"I thought you had the compass!"
"I am temporarily unsure of my location"

3BadgeMarine
03-24-03, 04:15 PM
:) Follow me El-Presidente I have the GPS,a present from the offsprings so that I could find me way home from the pub?.Aye JR;)

Sticky blue
03-24-03, 06:01 PM
When the GPS goes down it comes back to the basic military skills! The good old fashioned compass or failing that... the stars! People should not use the technical equipment, like GPS, until they have mastered the basic stuff! Geograpical embarrasment is quite scary! I've been there... I don't know where there was but I was there!