PDA

View Full Version : WWII flag to be returned to Japanese family

thedrifter
05-17-07, 04:12 AM
WWII flag to be returned to Japanese family
The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday May 16, 2007 16:31:47 EDT

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — A silk battle flag that belonged to a Japanese sailor killed in the Battle of Iwo Jima will be returned to the man’s survivors in Japan.

Kihachi Imaizumi was 23 when he died defending his country in the World War II battle 62 years ago. Somehow, his flag ended up in Chattanooga’s National Medal of Honor Museum of Military History.

Museum director Patty Parks wanted to return the flag to the sailor’s family and asked a new volunteer at the museum, Japanese citizen and Chattanooga resident Hitoe Engelbrekt, to help her.

Engelbrekt, 38, used the Internet to find organizations that could assist her in locating the family. She plans to present the flag to Imaizumi’s nephew next month while visiting Japan.

She said the flag will mean a lot to the family since they have no remains or real record of his military service.

“This is amazing to me, and I’m glad that I can bring something,” Engelbrekt said. “The soldier, he’s going home.”

Parks said the Japanese battle flag is similar to a family Bible in Christian culture.

Imaizumi’s flag had a stamp on it from a shrine in the Gunma prefecture of Japan. Parks said Japanese battle flags were often signed by family and friends in a soldier’s village.

“This flag was almost like a suit of honor. It was designed to protect the soldier and so, yes, they would keep it with them at all times,” Parks said.

Ellie