PDA

View Full Version : Is 17 too young?

Signsrscary
05-16-07, 08:30 PM
Good evening, Marines. I'm not going to bore everybody with my life story or anything, but I do have a question. I am interesting in joining the Marines, sure of it actually, and I have been sitting in high school for 3 years and I'm tired of waiting. In June my junior year will be done, and I have the chance to take my 2 remaining classes that summer and join in August, while I'm still 17. Do you men think that I am mature enough to join in 3 months, or do I have some more maturing to do? Is 17 maybe too young? If anybody has been in my situation, I would like to hear about it. Thanks to all who respond.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 09:12 PM
Finish high school and enjoy yourself. The Marine Corps will be here in a year.

Zulu 36
05-16-07, 09:15 PM
Have you talked with a recruiter yet? They can give you the up to date rules. You will need your parent's signed permission too.

The Corps is not allowing 17-year olds into combat, but if you go in, by the time you get through boot camp, SOI, MOS school, etc, you wouldn't have too long to wait.

As far as 17 being too young maturity-wise, the answer is: It depends. It depends on you. How mature are you at 17?

An example: I went to boot camp, ITR (became SOI), truck driver school, and then over to Japan with a Marine named Dennis. He was 17 and a damned fine Marine (and a damned fine pool player too).

Several months later, our air group was sent to Vietnam in a hurry and he went along. At the time 18 years old was the strict limit for being in Vietnam, but Dennis was still 17. After about a week in Vietnam, he came into the motor pool building and announced it was his birthday. The MT officer said, "Congrats, turning 19, eh?" "No sir, just turned 18."

The Gunner got a wide-eyed look and disappeared for Group HQ. Later that day, three or four other Marines in the Group were ordered to pack their trash as they were still 17 and being sent back to Iwakuni. Dennis got to stay since he was now 18.

Dennis was mature enough that the Gunner thought he was at least a year older than he really was. He was a hard working, squared-away, Marine and a skilled truck driver. He usually drove a semi-tractor with a flat bed trailer hauling bombs to the flightline from the dump. Not too many fresh 18-year old kids got that kind of job even in the Marines.

One night he even kept driving through a rocket and mortar attack to get his load of bombs out of the impact area of the attack. No lack of balls either.

My point is this: If you are as mature now as Dennis was at 17, you will be fine.