PDA

View Full Version : i need some info from an MP

ClutchNY
05-16-07, 04:06 AM
ok, so its almost re-up time. i was looking into a lat move to CI, but now im also looking at Military Police...Can any of my fellow devil dogs give me some first hand information on whats its like?

STAY MOTO:flag:

rvillac2
05-18-07, 01:03 AM
Seek out Zulu36.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-18-07, 11:39 AM
CI deploys......ALOT. There should be a local rep on your installation. Talk to them about CI if you are still interested.

Hit up Zulu and he'll fill you in on MP stuff for sure. At one time, tho, I understood that promotions to SSgt were damn difficult to get, not sure if that is still true. He'd know the scoop for sure tho.

Zulu 36
05-18-07, 01:10 PM
When I was in, promos to SSgt in MPs were very slow. Partly because it shares the field with corrections, partly because it really isn't that terribly big. Also, I learned later, that MPs assigned to Presidential Support were getting a lot of the slots, and quite early in their careers too. Like before they had four-years in. Most annoying. I don't know if that is still going on.

I knew a lot of CI people. A bit too "secret squirrel" for my liking. Their deployment schedule then in the 1970's, wasn't much different than for anyone else.

However, the ops tempo has changed since 74/75/76. I would imagine the CI people are deploying frequently now. It's a small MOS and selection to it is difficult. You had to be a sergeant to get in. You must be an excellent reader, writer, and have an analytical mind. A lot of CI people get killed and hurt because of the things they do in a combat zone dealing with informant networks, etc.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-18-07, 01:25 PM
Zulu:

SSgt promotions in the late 90's weren't that great either from what the monitor told me when I was considering it. He actually advised me not to make the leap, despite my civilian LEO time and experience, simply because he didn't believe I'd make SSgt.

gwladgarwr
05-18-07, 02:14 PM
Sorry can't help with CI or MP - been trying to get into Intel myself.

I've been turned down for an exception waiver (parental citizenship issue) to lat move into the 02 field even though I have a language background (paid for an Arabic class on my own and taught myself several other languages), and just got my M.A. in Linguistics (graduated yesterday).

Anyone know of an intel unit who WILL endorse me for an exception waiver? I'm off contract now, so it's either I get sent up for that waiver or I leave for good and get my PhD.

Yeah, you can say I'm *****ing a little. I'd suck it up, but my lips are too chapped. :cry:

Sgt gw

Sgt Leprechaun
05-18-07, 02:23 PM
You tried the reserves?

However, I'll say that if you've been turned down by higher (HQMC) for a waiver, that will be pretty much it as far as it goes. :(

If it's a unit turning you down, call the monitor direct and speak to him/her.

gwladgarwr
05-18-07, 02:56 PM
Well, already a nasty reservist spare part.

The XO of the unit said to me directly he would not send the endorsement for a waiver exception because "what I come to the table with disqualifies me for an waiver". Sorta dumb since approval for the waiver for the TS package would then qualify me.

But, he said since I don't speak Arabic (he forgot about the intro course I paid for out-of-pocket) and since they don't really need more analysts, he won't recommend me for the waiver. I wonder how many in that unit actually are fluent in Arabic (my bet is "none".)

Funny thing is, after intel school, you get sent to DLI to learn one of those languages. Maybe they don't want to spend the money on a reservist who comes in only once a month.

I did get boarded for CI, but they said I wasn't qualified for counterintel (maybe it's my personality or I just sorta stick out too much for clandestine work or sumpin'). That's what they probably really need. I guess they don't really need an overeducated reservist! ("Sir, refill on your iced tea?")

I could try contacting another intel unit elsewhere, but it's a small world and they all know each other and they could tell me to go pound sand, too. Or, try the Air Force (yikes!). I always wanted to learn how to play squash. :banana:

Sgt gw

1stRad2671
05-18-07, 03:40 PM
Funny thing is, after intel school, you get sent to DLI to learn one of those languages. Maybe they don't want to spend the money on a reservist who comes in only once a month.

You're right, people like me sign 5-year active contracts in order to go to DLI. It's a major investment of time and money.

Have at least a secret clearance and can pass a level 2 to 3 Arabic reading test? I know where you can get an $85k/year job in the DC area if you're looking.

gwladgarwr
05-18-07, 04:15 PM
I have a Secret clearance, but I doubt I can make even a 2 on the DLPT for Arabic (got threes in French, German, and Spanish, but those aren't high-demand. I'd have to start over in Arabic - going to do that either this summer or in the fall (when I'm working on my doctorate.)

I think if someone comes in with threes on non-critical languages, that Marine may be sorta capable, esp. in Cat 4 difficulty languages such as Arabic, to learn Arabic pretty easily (I was reading and writing in the first hour in my very first Arabic course at the community college, and so was everyone else!)

I was going to to re-up on my reserve contract since I'm now non-ob, but now I'm not so hot on the idea anymore (unless they change their minds.):(

Sgt gw