PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Contracts

zackmerc
05-15-07, 06:28 PM
Hello,

My contract says I must serve four years active duty and four years reserve.

I don't understand how to make the career longer. Do Marines renew their contracts every four years?

I also don't understand how the reserve work. Do I need to move into the city where the reserve unit is located? I noticed that various reserve companies are located around the States.

Thank you.

davblay
05-15-07, 06:41 PM
A 4X4 contract means 4 years active duty and 4 years in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve), meaning you don't attend drills or get paid! You are on standby, just in case the Corps needs you during that 4 years. As far as re enlistments, that is done at the end of your 4 year initial enlistment. You can choose to stay in the corps. After you have served 8 years or more and you decide to get out, or retire after 20 years, then you owe no time to the IRR, but if you retire you will be transfered to the Fleet reserve. That's just in case they need you in the future and you can still pass the physical for active duty when/if they should ever call you back!

When you sign up for the military, you agree to a obligation of 8 years initially. There is no less time, when it somes to the first enlistment! You can then re enlist for the other 4 years or even 6 (I believe I am right on this) if you choose a career in the Corps!

I hope that answers your question. Some of the other Marines, with more updated information, may correct me if I am wrong. But that's the way I remember it.

zackmerc
05-15-07, 08:32 PM
Thank you sir.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 01:43 PM
That is correct. You reenlist at the end of your contract. It should be noted that not everyone is able to reenlist. You have to be a good Marine, there has to be a spot for you, and you have to get promoted on time.

zackmerc
05-16-07, 07:25 PM
So, by my fourth years, I should be at least a Corporal to be able to continue my enlistment? It makes sense I guess, one cannot stay a private for the entire span of his career.

But how do you get promoted? Does you superior officer see the work that you do and go up through the chain of command to get you reccomended for the promotion board?

rvillac2
05-16-07, 08:04 PM
Your rank after 4 years depends a lot on your MOS in addition to your performance as a Marine.

There are several ways to get promoted but they all depend on the same things that you might expect in the civilian sector.
Personal Performance
Personal Conduct
Personal Achievements
Ability to work with teammates
Ability to take initiative.
Ability to take a leadership role.
Proficiency in one's MOS

Promotion up to Lance Corporal is almost purely time in grade. If you keep your nose clean, you'll get promoted as you age in the Corps. However, there is a big step into Corporal and it will depend on a number of objective factors:
Conduct and Proficiency Marks
Rifle Score
PT Score
Time in Grade

These factors (and others?) contribute to a cutting score. Periodically, an order will come down to promote to Corporal all those in XXXX MOS that have a cutting score equal or greater than XX. So, this is where your MOS factors in because the cutting score is different for each MOS. The cutting score is determined by HQMC depending on the needs of your division/battalion/squardron.

There are also times when your unit will have an allottment of promotions that it can make its discretion. These come in the form of meritorious promotions and are selected by boards. They will not only take into account those things mentioned above, but also superior achievement or exemplary service and conduct. So, even if you don't have the cutting score, being an outstanding Marine can get you promoted early.

I know I may have missed some points. The other Marines will correct me or add to this response.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-07, 08:21 PM
Actually, you probably could even reenlist as a LCPL if you're a good Marine. Our MOS was locked down for quite a while and there were several people getting out as LCPLs that would have been allowed to reenlist.

I believe maximum time in service for a LCPL is 6 years, Cpl 8, and Sgt. 13. That could have changed or I could be slightly off- but it is close.

semperfi170
05-16-07, 11:14 PM
BTW: Unless things have changed, you are only in the Fleet Reserve if you get out with 20 or more years but less than 30. Once an enlisted individual hits 30 they are put on the retired list.