PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Uniform Dispute

thedrifter
05-15-07, 08:27 AM
Graduation Uniform Dispute

"No" to U.S. Marine Uniform
WOWT, NE

A Ralston High School senior who graduates this weekend doesn't want to wear the traditional cap and gown.

Nicholas Hogan just finished U.S. Marine Corps boot camp so he wants to show his military pride and wear his uniform.

The school's answer is: no.

We most often see U.S. Marines these days fighting the war in Iraq.

Private First Class Nicholas Hogan of Ralston wants his community to see his pride in joining that military branch.

"I was at Marine Corps boot camp, San Diego, I just got back, I just graduated on the 11th, got back the 14th and I graduate high school this Sunday on the 20th," says Nicholas Hogan, student and U.S. marine.

At that graduation Hogan wants to wear his pride, not with a cap and gown, but with the polished shoes, the crisp edges, the historical emblems; all that is his U.S. Marine Corps uniform.

"Because I earned it, I worked very hard for it, one of the things that kept me going through boot camp was coming back here, wearing my uniform on graduation," says Hogan.

But as Hogan looks ahead to that day, this Sunday, he doesn't see that hope realized.

"They said I could wear it under my cap and gown," says Hogan.

Kelly Hogan, Nick’s mother says "They referred it to as if they let him they'll have to let everybody else, you know the football players and there's a difference here, I mean this is who he is now, he's a U.S. Marine."

Ralston High School's principal Greg Shepard tells Channel 6 News he doesn't remember a senior ever wearing something other than a cap and gown to graduation and if one student is allowed to do something different others may want to as well and where do they draw the line?

Hogan believes that line shouldn't hide American pride.

"We have people in Iraq dying, Marines, and they want to cover a uniform that represents all of them," says Nick Hogan.

Principal Shepard says until Channel 6 News called he did not realize this was a big issue for the Hogan family because family members did not express their disappointment to him.

Shepard says now he will get the superintendent involved and look into this further Tuesday when he will make a decision about Hogan's uniform.

Ellie

jegries
05-15-07, 08:55 AM
How did he attend boot camp without a Diploma or GED????

outlaw3179
05-15-07, 09:25 AM
Graduated early with enough credits . Just hadnt had the ceremony yet. I think this has happened before with some other schools.

drumcorpssnare
05-15-07, 09:47 AM
Quote from above article- "...if one student is allowed to do something different others may want to as well..."

Well, heaven forbid any young American student be allowed to show a sense of individuality.:evilgrin:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

gwladgarwr
05-15-07, 10:13 AM
How did he attend boot camp without a Diploma or GED????

"ASVAB waiver"

This kid should just shut the f*** up and put on his prom dress. Did he think he was going to graduate from boot camp in a mortarboard and gown?

Someone forgot to explain to this kid that there's a time and place for everything, and insisting on wearing his blues as his graduation ceremony outfit is NOT one of them. As his principal said, he can wear his gown over his uniform. The kid is very moto, but he is also way out of line in insisting on wearing his blues in the graduation ceremony.

I'm graduating this Saturday with my M.A. - and I'm wearing my alphas under my graduation gown and mortarboard. When the ceremony is over, I'll take off the ball gown, hoop skirt, bloomers, girdle, slip, Easter bonnet, and cap:bunny: , then put my **** cutter back on. What part of that does this kid not understand?

Sgt gw

ggyoung
05-15-07, 10:33 AM
Somebody look in to Regs. and see if a civvs. can be woren over a calss A uniform. For some reason I don't think that is alowed. Let this Marine wear his uniforme that he worked so hard for.

Tegan
05-15-07, 11:30 AM
My school had a similar situation and my dad, a SSgt, wrote into the local paper with this response:

The individual should wear his highschool gown and cap for celebrating his highschool graduation and for what he did in school. The two graduations are separate.
I personally think he should celebrate with everyone else and not be an individual because he should have learned that in bootcamp. (there is no 'I' in team.....)
---------------
And correct me if I am wrong, but can you wear anything over your Blues? i.e. graduation gown?

CantWaitToSign
05-15-07, 11:32 AM
"ASVAB waiver"

This kid should just shut the f*** up and put on his prom dress. Did he think he was going to graduate from boot camp in a mortarboard and gown?

Someone forgot to explain to this kid that there's a time and place for everything, and insisting on wearing his blues as his graduation ceremony outfit is NOT one of them. As his principal said, he can wear his gown over his uniform. The kid is very moto, but he is also way out of line in insisting on wearing his blues in the graduation ceremony.

I'm graduating this Saturday with my M.A. - and I'm wearing my alphas under my graduation gown and mortarboard. When the ceremony is over, I'll take off the ball gown, hoop skirt, bloomers, girdle, slip, Easter bonnet, and cap:bunny: , then put my **** cutter back on. What part of that does this kid not understand?

Sgt gw

I'm sorry but I disagree that he should just "shut the **** up" A kid at my school graduated early went down to Parris Island and made it back in time to wear his dress blues at the ceremony. Our school had no problem with it and none of the other schools have problems with it around here. I mean why wouldn't the school mind? It'll save them money cause they won't have to order another cap and gown. Heaven forbid the military has something good shown in the news once. I understand he could just wear it underneath and all but he busted his ass for 3 months to earn that title and those dress blues. He is now fighting for our country but yet people still have to nerve to tell him "no you can't do that."

gwladgarwr
05-15-07, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry but I disagree that he should just "shut the **** up" A kid at my school graduated early went down to Parris Island and made it back in time to wear his dress blues at the ceremony. Our school had no problem with it and none of the other schools have problems with it around here. I mean why wouldn't the school mind? It'll save them money cause they won't have to order another cap and gown. Heaven forbid the military has something good shown in the news once. I understand he could just wear it underneath and all but he busted his ass for 3 months to earn that title and those dress blues. He is now fighting for our country but yet people still have to nerve to tell him "no you can't do that."

As a poolee/DEPer, you have not earned the right to comment here. Restrict your comments to the poolee section.

For proper Marines and veterans:

I'm not surprised at this wannabe's comments since:

1) He has not even been to his OWN high school graduation ceremony, and
2) He has not graduated from boot camp ("not a Marine").

A high school graduation outfit traditionally consists of a gown, mortarboard, and hood. All participating graduates MUST wear the attire called for in the graduation, namely, gown, mortarboard (and hood, if in college) - NOT - ALLOW ME TO REPEAT - NOT dress blue bravo. No gown and no mortarboard - no walk across the stage. Quite simple, really.

Please keep in mind that "fighting for one's country" does not exempt a Marine from wearing the appropriate attire for the occasion. He is a young but immature Marine who has not yet internalized the concept of "appropriate". He is also showing off and being the 'individual' by dressing in his blues and refusing to wear the required graduation attire.

If the wannabe quoted above had cared to read my post, he would have seen where I wrote that "high school graduation" does not equal "boot camp graduation", and no, service to our country does not exempt a service member from observing convention, regulation, or the law.

And, there is nothing in the current uniform regulations that prohibits wearing a graduation gown over service alphas unless a major portion of the uniform is visible (i.e., you can really tell it's a service uniform while wearing the gown.) Since the gown is full-length, from neck/shoulders to ankles, the only thing you can see are the trousers from the ankle down, plus shoes.

Yes, wanna-be, he should shut the f*** up. So should you.

Sgt gw

davblay
05-15-07, 04:30 PM
gwladgarwr (member.php?u=63) is right 100%. If the schools had said he could, then fine. But they want uniformity! Something he should know about! If your attire is different then your are an individual! That's not what we are! We play by the rules, where ever, what ever they are! PERIOD!! So suck it up Marine and either wear the cap and gown or stay at home, your choice! You already graduated, just doing the show is all this is. Besides, you'd stick our like a TURD in a punch bowl!

I was in a similar situation, except they wanted me to wear my Uniform, I refused to even participate, I sat in the stands with my parents and friends. I told them I didn't fit in to that crowd any longer! After the show, there was a party, I went, but I felt out of place as I was the only MAN there. I didn't agree with the teenage crap anymore, I realized that I was more mature than those guys and left early and left it at that! They never said anything to me about it until years later when they understood the situation.

ChiefUSMC
05-15-07, 05:57 PM
I see the ups and downs with this situation. Being a Career Recruiter I have seen a few Marines graduate in both the cap/gown, and they have worn there uniform under it also. Once they graduate then they can take there cap/gown off. The Marine must understand that he is in the civilian world so he must respect the school rules.

What I don't see in this conversation is the fact that this young man did go to recruit training early while all of his friends were doing the senior thing, he began his Marine Corps career early with the possibility of not walking with his class if he did not make it through Recruit Training. So lets not be so critical, we as Marine Recruiters use this as a tool to help us in the recruiting effort, so for those of you that haven't been on recruiting duty should not be so hasty to telling him to "suck it up".

By the way for those of you seniors that are going to or that have already graduated, Congradulations to the Class of "2007"

outlaw3179
05-15-07, 07:00 PM
Ok I disagree. The young Marine has graduated Marine Boot Camp and he wants to proudly wear his uniform. I seriously doubt hes going to look like a turd in a punch bowl. I say fight it and wear the uniform wich youve earned.

davblay
05-15-07, 07:08 PM
Ok I disagree. The young Marine has graduated Marine Boot Camp and he wants to proudly wear his uniform. I seriously doubt hes going to look like a turd in a punch bowl. I say fight it and wear the uniform wich youve earned.

That, Sgt, is only an expression! I didn't mean any disrespect to the Marine! I thought I was clearly on the wagon, understanding and all! Think about it Sgt, a graduating class, all wearing a caps and gowns. One graduate is wearing a set of Blues----That sticks out!! Don't it? :confused:

sgt tony
05-15-07, 08:07 PM
Yes he sticks out like a MARINE!

Camper51
05-15-07, 08:53 PM
I am all for wearing the uniform proudly. It should be worn UNDER the cap and gown until the graduation ceremony is complete, at that point the cap and gown may be removed and the uniform can be proudly worn to show what was truly earned, along with the diploma.

The graduate KNOWS he is a Marine and so do his peers.

There is a NEGATIVE light cast when you force the issue of wearing the uniform without the cap and gown to graduation because you are showcasing yourself in uniform and not giving proper due to the graduation ceremonies and traditions. You also steal the limelight from those who deserve it, namely the other graduates and the honor graduates, who wear a different sash from everyone else. This is totally improper and shows a lack of class and respect for those traditions.

I believe the Corps still teaches respect, at least they did back in 68...

jinelson
05-15-07, 09:15 PM
I totally understand this young Marines motives but would he also want to fight for the right to fall in for a CG inspection in civvies? Rules are rules and the uniform of the day is just that, in both the military and civilian worlds.

Jim

RLeon
05-16-07, 12:33 AM
Good grief this reminds me of a teenage drama queen tantrum. This kid should show some dignity. Just wear the uniform under the gown, then as soon as the ceremony is over peel the dang thing off and flaunt your stuff.
It's not that hard.
He's coming off as a whiny baby and not a stoic Leatherneck.

1jarhead06
05-16-07, 12:54 AM
This dosent need a reply its high school yes he should be proud hes a MARINE. But all do respect dont the other kids need to shine once in there life unlike the the young MARINE to shine forever?

outlaw3179
05-17-07, 11:00 AM
F*ck the other Kids . Hes a Marine and hes earned it.

ggyoung
05-17-07, 11:35 AM
outlaw3179++++++++++++++Well said.

MacAngus
05-17-07, 02:03 PM
I agree the kid should wear his uniform. I was in a similar problem.My family is from scotland and i wanted to wear my kilt they told me no I did it anyway and walked up on stage with no gown or dumb looking hat and got my diploma. After the graduation everyone was coming up to me telling me how great i looked including most of the faculty. The kid should stick out the school should be proud to have such a patriotic young man compared to the kids of todays youth.

3077India
05-17-07, 03:10 PM
What I'd do If I were him, is wear the cap and gown over my uniform at the start, but once I start marchin' in take them off, throw them on the ground. Doubt the school would stop him then. :confused: :p

ggyoung
05-17-07, 07:16 PM
For me NOTHING goes over my uniform. NOTHING

outlaw3179
05-17-07, 07:18 PM
Roger That ! NOTHING!

3077India
05-17-07, 07:30 PM
Same here; I was only suggesting a means whereby he could placate the school on the outset, but at the pivotal moment pull the rug out from under them, by revealing his pride and joy.

Of course, things would've been simpler had he just gone ahead and wore his uniform, without first consulting them. As the saying goes, it's always easier to get forgiveness than permission. :p

TazMatt
05-17-07, 09:05 PM
I can answer for him in my own personal expeirance. I graduated from a dependent high school when I was over seas in Okinawa, I had quit school before I joined the Marine Corps and then I had some spare time while overseas and decided to get my high school diploma this after I had already gotten my GED and really didn't have to do anything else but chose to do so.I finished high school and graduated with the senior class .I marched and received my diploma and I wore my Class A uniform under my cap and gown. My co was the one who presented me my diploma.After I walked I took off my cap and gown and had pictures taken with my uniform and with cap and gown.:usmc: :flag: Sgt.Matt U.S.M.C. 1969-1975