PDA

View Full Version : Marine incident ‘stained our honor’

thedrifter
05-15-07, 07:52 AM
Marine incident ‘stained our honor’
Army officer’s rebuke is rapped by attorneys
By Trista Talton - ttalton@militarytimes.com
Posted : May 21, 2007

For the second time in a month, a senior Army officer has publicly condemned a handful of special operations Marines for a March shootout in Afghanistan that left as many as 19 locals dead.

Col. John Nicholson, commander of the 10th Mountain Division’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team, said the killing and wounding of “innocent Afghans at the hands of Americans is a stain on our honor,” despite the fact that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service probe into the incident has not been completed. He also made condolence payments to families.

His remarks drew fire from some of the attorneys representing at least seven of the eight spec-ops Marines sent home to Camp Lejeune, N.C., a month after the March 4 incident. Those attorneys have claimed that the Marines, after their convoy was attacked by a car bomb, defended themselves after taking small-arms fire at the scene.

“Since the investigation is not complete, the comment � is at best premature,” attorney Charles Gittins wrote in an e-mail responding to the colonel’s May 8 comments. “But especially because the investigation is incomplete, I believe his comments are criminal, and an intentional effort to subvert justice and employ unlawful command influence to influence the ongoing NCIS investigation.”

Gittins represents a sergeant who was in the 120-man company, which was expelled from Afghanistan days after the incident and resulted in the decision by Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command brass to relieve the company commander and senior enlisted adviser.

The incident in Nangarhar province left 19 civilians dead and 53 wounded, Nicholson said. That number of dead is well beyond previous reports, which ranged from 10 to 12.

“We came here to help the Afghan people and the Afghan government, not to hurt you,” Nicholson said, re-reading for Pentagon reporters via satellite May 8 the statement he gave to the families of the dead. “So I stand before you today deeply, deeply ashamed, and terribly sorry, that Americans have killed and wounded innocent Afghan people.

“We are filled with grief and sadness at the death of any Afghan,” Nicholson continued. “But the death and wounding of innocent Afghans at the hand of Americans is a stain on our honor, and on the deaths of the many Americans who have died defending Afghanistan and the Afghan people. This was a terrible, terrible mistake. And my nation grieves with you for your loss and suffering. We humbly and respectfully ask for your forgiveness.”

The “solatia” payments — so described because they were made to express condolences rather than a “legal claim per se,” Nicholson said — varied with the type of loss a family suffered. If a family member was killed, he said, the family was paid 100,000 Afghani — the equivalent of about $2,000.

Nicholson’s comments were made less than a month after Army Maj. Gen. Frank Kearney, the top special operations officer in the Middle East, told The Washington Post on April 14 that a preliminary investigation showed there was no evidence that Marines had taken small-arms fire from Afghans after the car bomb struck the Marine convoy.

Lawyers for several of the Marines under investigation have told Marine Corps Times that their clients’ retelling of events clashed with Kearney’s, and said they have evidence to back the claim that the Marines did indeed take small-arms fire from enemy fighters in the area and were forced to defend themselves after the initial ambush.

Knox Nunnally, an attorney representing another of the MarSOC Marines, characterized Nicholson’s comments as “an unfortunate and ill-advised choice of words.”

“His remarks in many ways violate that most fundamental rule of law that presumes the innocence of anyone until a court of law determines guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Such remarks do Col. Nicholson and our country a disservice,” Nunnally wrote in an e-mail.

Marine Maj. Cliff Gilmore, MarSOC spokesman, said his command is not characterizing the incident until the investigation has been completed.

“We regret the March 4 ambush of the Marine Special Operations Company in Afghanistan and offer our deepest sympathy to all of those involved,” Gilmore said. “The events related to that ambush are currently under investigation. In the interest of preserving the presumption of innocence that all U.S. service members deserve when facing allegations of misconduct, we will not characterize the incident until we have all the facts.”

Ed Buice, an NCIS spokesman, said agents continue with their investigation.

Victor Kelley, an attorney for a gunnery sergeant, said, “Based on my information of the facts, [the colonel] just got it wrong.”

“My client has done nothing wrong,” Kelley said. “When this case is tried outside of the court of public opinion, he will be found not guilty. I can say with confidence the colonel has it wrong.

He pointed out the different reports of casualties coming from the government. Nicholson said 19 civilians were killed. Kearney said that, according to a preliminary investigation, 10 civilians were killed.

“I don’t think the government knows what the heck has happened, especially when you’ve got senior officers making a blanket apology for these Marines before they’ve even been tried.”

Ellie

OLE SARG
05-15-07, 08:48 AM
This ******* Colonel must be a friend of ms martha murtha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if he looks like murtha!!!!

SEMPER FI,

jinelson
05-15-07, 09:17 AM
Man this crap makes my blood boil! Think about it, if a convoy is ambushed by a car bomb and then takes small arms fire any so called innocent civilian that gets zapped cannot be so innocent. If you live close by to where the attack took place you would have noticed what was about to take place. You could have left or alerted authorities or the targeted Marines if you were so innocent. This happened alot in Nam and we would kill any thing that moved and burn the ville for good measure to keep any other Marines from being targeted by the so called innocent civilians. Another thing that enters into this case is the Army never wanted the Marines to become part of SOCOM which was their sacred cow and they have done everything in their power to discredit Marines from the get go. Sorry for the rant but Haditha and now this with the ‘stained our honor’ statement pi**es me off no end.

Jim

mrbsox
05-15-07, 11:44 AM
In the grand scheme of things, a short recap;

Marines are in a combat zone
Marines in a combat zone receive incoming fire
Marines receiving incoming fire, FIGHT their way out of danger
Army b!tche$ about it's reputation

Now, does this fall under
NO BETTER FRIEND

or

NO WORSE ENEMY ??

Sgt Leprechaun
05-15-07, 08:16 PM
What do you expect from the likes of "the army of one or army strong or whatever they are calling themselves this week..."????

We.....SCARE.....them.

Rightfully so.

The good Colonel needs a serious "sack" transplant.....and soon, before he begins shopping for "personal lingerie".

Osotogary
05-15-07, 08:42 PM
A twist on ROE?
I'm a sadsack when it comes to the art of warfare but if I were an advisary I would certainly have to consider using civilians as a cover, diversion, or human shields to set up a successful ambush. It sure seems that this guerilla tactic has been around for hundreds of years. The response to this guerilla technique warfare has also been studied for hundreds of years. Collateral damage is part of the end result. I have never read of this type of ambush not having collateral damage. What did this Colonel expect? Like I have said, I'm not the sharpest man on this planet but what did the Colonel expect the Marines to do? What would the Colonel of done in an identical situation? I suspect that he would have fired back.

1jarhead06
05-16-07, 01:05 AM
No It Seems The Army Gives Up Gives The Enemy Brand New M16s .

drumcorpssnare
05-16-07, 07:32 AM
When, in the history of mankind, has there been war without civilian casualties?

Uh.....NEVER !!!
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Zulu 36
05-16-07, 08:11 AM
Stained their honor? Aren't they a still a little busy cleaning themselves up the stain from Abu Grahib? Mai Lei?

Stained THEIR honor? Bite me.

Dave Coup
05-16-07, 08:45 AM
We need a puking Icon on here. That's what this PC crap does for me.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-18-07, 09:14 AM
I think this sums it all up rather well:

"

Today, the senior leadership of the U.S. armed forces in general and, the U.S. Army in particular, is overly bureaucratic, risk averse, professionally inadequate and, hence, unsuited to the complex military tasks entrusted to them. "
Col Douglas MacGregor, US Army retired

bigdog43701
05-18-07, 10:17 AM
carpenters hit nails,
plummers fix pipes,
MARINES kill people.

DEAL WITH IT

ggyoung
05-18-07, 11:57 AM
Does this col have a e-mail address?

gmwashingtondc
09-22-07, 11:12 PM
Vote Murtha/Kearney in '08...There is hope for Al Qaeda!

LeonardLawrence
09-23-07, 12:30 AM
I definitely think the media is going to ruin it for us all on this one....Blackwater Convoy, Marines in Haditha, Abu Grahib..etc, etc. Um last I checked it was a Global War on Terror...things get broken and people die. Shed a tear for our brothers and sisters.....but please, this is a war...not a Global Picnic for Terror:thumbdown I think the enemy knows this big time and will use it to weaken our resolve.

<<<----L/L is TICKED OFF!

SkilletsUSMC
09-23-07, 12:50 AM
IBTMTTPF

(In before the move to the Political Forum)

Marines Kill ****. Thats what we are for.

LeonardLawrence
09-23-07, 01:49 AM
:mad: Oh....can I just add that I am sure the media would rather add to their inflated body counts of our best and brightest than to see some "poor civilian" injured. I am frankly tired of hearing the personal stories of these casualties while we only hear about "1 serviceman injured, today". Body count, body count. We are counting the wrong side, for the wrong reason on this one.

News Flash: Innocent Civilian gunned down by cold blooded killers. The injured party who was only bringing his AK-47 Collection to the shop when he was innocently gunned down and his friends scavenged the weapons to prove he had no arms on his person....and on and on....and on....:devious:

Okay...seriously though there is too much of this to not be politically motivated and driven....not necessarily on our shores, but for the political benefit of those we fight against....

Did I mention I was mad??!?!?!?:mad:

Scottyva
09-23-07, 09:08 PM
Stained their honor? Aren't they a still a little busy cleaning themselves up the stain from Abu Grahib? Mai Lei?

Stained THEIR honor? Bite me.

Once Again the Army cries while the Corps Fights. :evilgrin:I guess that we have the superior training in combat and survival skills. And maybe common sense as well.