PDA

View Full Version : Marine describes the positives

thedrifter
05-15-07, 06:27 AM
05/15/2007
Marine describes the positives
By TERESA WICKENS , The North Platte Telegraph

U.S. Marine Corporal Matt Leech carried a lot more than 125 pounds of gear during his seven month tour of duty in Iraq.

At 22 years old, Leech was responsible for a team of fellow Marines who patrolled urban areas in Iraq.

Leech returned to his elementary school, Our Redeemer Lutheran School, Monday to share his experiences as a member of the U.S. Marine Corps serving in Iraq.

Many of the questions revolved around the weight of the gear he wore, how they patrolled and was he ever in danger.
Leech carried 125 pounds of gear, in addition to his personal weight of 173 pounds, and yes, they sometimes ran carrying 298 pounds.

And, yes, he was often in danger and had been shot at a number of times.

Leech demonstrated the steps they took walking through the palm tree groves looking for hidden caches.

“Step, stomp, stomp, step, stomp, stomp,” Leech showed the youngsters.

Leech didn’t dwell on the danger; he described the positive changes that took place in the area of Iraq he served.
“When we got there, six schools were closed,” he said.

In the seven months he was there, the schools reopened and children were attending classes.

For a while, Marines in Humvees surrounded the buildings, helicopters flew overhead and Marines checked student’s backpacks as schools operated.

“They were the safest schools anywhere,” Leech said.

At Our Redeemer, Pastor Fred Simon has known Matt Leech since he was 7. Simon said Leech is a lot more confident, and in some ways, still the youngster he has known for 15 years.

It may have been a typical Matt Leech move when Cpl. Leech and a fellow Marine found the door locking behind them on a rooftop they were searching.

“We got up to the roof top and the door shut behind us,” he said.

Leech could have pulled rank to see which one would jump off the roof onto a pile of hay sitting two stories below them.

“We did rock, paper, scissors to see who would go first,” he said. “I landed hard.”

Leech said the Marines were taught to go through windows when going into a building, but all of the windows in Iraq had bars.

And when the United States blew up the bridges crossing the Euphrates River, the Marines couldn’t cross over if they were fired on.

Leech told the youngsters that progress is being made in Iraq, but changes will take a time.

“The children understand we’re there to help them,” he said. “The older people remember the Saddam Hussein regime and they don’t want us there.”

As Leech returned home to the United States, schools in Iraq were open, women were shopping for food in the markets and the Iraqi police force was taking over the patrols.

Leech said his stress levels dropped considerably when he arrived in California, and he is slowly adapting to having people around all the time.

“I also don’t take so much for granted anymore,” Leech said. “I’ve learned to appreciate what I have.”

Leech returns to California before leaving the Marines in July and his dad, Bill Leech, said he and a buddy are going to Wisconsin for work.

Ellie