PDA

View Full Version : I know too many questions...

Kimmie
05-14-07, 12:25 PM
Hi my name is Kimmie and I found this site by accident and love it. You all are very informative and I love the humour.
My youngest daughter is in a budding romance with a young Marine whom she has known through out all of high school. They have always been there for each other and stayed friends while each has had other relationships. He joined the Marines last July so he has just about a yr. under his belt. They kept in touch through letters while he was in basic training at PI. Then after he got to Camp Pendleton for his MOS training they communicated mostly with txt messaging and phone calls. He had a schedule and she knew what to expect, as far as talking to him. On the week ends when he was with his buddies he always included her with phone calls and phone pictures. He graduated in mid April and was sent to Camp Lejuene for his first duty station. They were so excited about him being sent back to this side of the coast. He thought he would get to come home right away and would start his job. Well, so far not so good. He was there about a week before he was given his orders,he hasnt started his job yet, he has spent the past 2 weeks at the range I assume shooting. He was getting up at two am and I know he is just tired, home sick and disapointed. I think nothing panned out for him like he thought. He also found out you have to be on base 30 days before you can come home. That is in two weeks, yay! Yesterday he said he had to pull a 24 hour duty. We kindof joked that maybe he was in trouble or do they all have to do that? Now that he is closer he seems grouchy and very disapointed. His parents think he feels like he has gone right back to basic training. Does this usually happen when a Marine gets his first assignment or is this just a fluke? My daughter is very supportive and doesnt want him feeling down and tells him whats a few more weeks but he seems so sad. He also keeps saying he has changed since he went in and fears she wont like the new him? We cant figure out what he is talking about. Maybe he has just grown up! We are very proud of him and respect him but we cant figure out why he seems to going backwards. Thank you all for any help you can give me. I am trying to learn as much as I can...just incase he and my daughter decide this is the life they both want. She doesnt complain when she doesnt hear from him, she knows he has to get settled and he wants to hang with his friends and get to know a whole new batch of people. His parents and I seem to ask the most questions. please help...
Kimmie

davblay
05-14-07, 12:58 PM
Hi my name is Kimmie and I found this site by accident and love it. You all are very informative and I love the humour.
My youngest daughter is in a budding romance with a young Marine whom she has known through out all of high school. They have always been there for each other and stayed friends while each has had other relationships. He joined the Marines last July so he has just about a yr. under his belt. They kept in touch through letters while he was in basic training at PI. Then after he got to Camp Pendleton for his MOS training they communicated mostly with txt messaging and phone calls. He had a schedule and she knew what to expect, as far as talking to him. On the week ends when he was with his buddies he always included her with phone calls and phone pictures. He graduated in mid April and was sent to Camp Lejuene for his first duty station. They were so excited about him being sent back to this side of the coast. He thought he would get to come home right away and would start his job. Well, so far not so good. He was there about a week before he was given his orders,he hasnt started his job yet, he has spent the past 2 weeks at the range I assume shooting. He was getting up at two am and I know he is just tired, home sick and disapointed. I think nothing panned out for him like he thought. He also found out you have to be on base 30 days before you can come home. That is in two weeks, yay! Yesterday he said he had to pull a 24 hour duty. We kindof joked that maybe he was in trouble or do they all have to do that? Now that he is closer he seems grouchy and very disapointed. His parents think he feels like he has gone right back to basic training. Does this usually happen when a Marine gets his first assignment or is this just a fluke? My daughter is very supportive and doesnt want him feeling down and tells him whats a few more weeks but he seems so sad. He also keeps saying he has changed since he went in and fears she wont like the new him? We cant figure out what he is talking about. Maybe he has just grown up! We are very proud of him and respect him but we cant figure out why he seems to going backwards. Thank you all for any help you can give me. I am trying to learn as much as I can...just incase he and my daughter decide this is the life they both want. She doesnt complain when she doesnt hear from him, she knows he has to get settled and he wants to hang with his friends and get to know a whole new batch of people. His parents and I seem to ask the most questions. please help...
Kimmie
The marines are highly trained and motivated in the first few months of enlistment, then as they get into the Fleet, they settle into thier jobs and they start slowing the pace, as a result they, sometimes, loose thier motivation (some what). They feel like they are missing the ACTION, so to speak! Up until now he has been in constant training for his job, now he will apply what he has been taught. This, sometimes, causes the young Marines to get home sick and discouraged. But the Corps hasn't forgotten him, they have a use for him and his time will come, Trust me! He is, indeed, a changed person now. He is no longer a child, he is one of the finest Warriors the United States has today! His 24 hour duty is not uncommon, every Marine does that, especially the lower ranks. Rest assured that he will settle down and get in the groove soon and he will seem like the old guy you used to know. Of course he will always be a Marine, from now on. He will never fit in with the old crowd and such, but he will start to seem more like that fine young man you always knew, pretty soon.

My advise-----understanding, encouragement, and above all else PATIENTS!

I hope this helped you in some small way.

outlaw3179
05-14-07, 01:57 PM
Davblay is correct ma'm ,

As a new Marine you feel like your always getting the short end of the stick and nothing is as seemed in the commercials. Eventually things will get better, he will start getting more time off and eventually he will get in the flow of things. Just tell him to keep his head up and things will get better for him. The worst thing he can do now is let it get to him and him becoming a sh*tbird. That is someone who doesnt put out, always goes against the grain and pretty much tries to bring everyone else down with him.
Good luck.