PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp basics

thedrifter
05-14-07, 08:04 AM
Boot camp basics
The concept may sound intimidating, but devotees salute the camaraderie and efficiency fitness classes provide.
By Linda J. Buch Special to The Denver Post
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated:05/13/2007 02:33:09 PM MDT

Boot camps are no longer just for new military recruits or troubled teens. They have become de rigueur for those who want to get to a better level of fitness quickly and efficiently. Today's "battle of the bulge" can be dealt with handily in one of the many fitness boot camps that are springing up around the nation.

"One of the reasons boot camps are incredibly popular is because they provide a pretty time-efficient approach to exercise," said Cedric X. Bryant, exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise. "You work the whole body. You're in and out. For most of us who are time-pressured, it's a nice way to fit fitness in."

Health benefits and time efficiency are the primary reasons most participants cite for their participation. Muscles and the cardiovascular systems - aerobic and anaerobic - are pushed in every possible way in a one-hour to 75-minute class. For many, the results are worth the focused, often arduous, intensity.

Genesis Fitness Camps offers a variety of five-week camps for all ages and fitness levels (with indoor facilities both downtown and at the Denver Tech Center). Their intensity levels escalate from the low-impact camp (exercises are easily modified to accommodate different skill or capability levels, with less running, jumping and bouncing), to the Performance Camp (focused on improving physical performance with more intense balance, agility, core and plyometric workouts), to the "Level 10 Boot Camp" (no-nonsense and taught by military fitness professionals - yes, that means Marines).

Participants like the camaraderie of the camp experience and marvel at the fact that they used to be out-0f-shape non-exercisers.

"I love it," says Andrea Glass, a stay-at-home mom who has been taking low-impact camps at Genesis Fitness (genesisfitnesscamps.com) for more than a year. "It has changed my life. I lost 12 pounds in three months," she says.

Rachel Brown, another mom in the low-impact camp, agrees. "I could never begin to push myself the way I am pushed by the instructors."

While the idea of boot camp sounds militaristic, both Brown and Glass say their experience has been more supportive than intimidating. "Every day is different," says Glass, "with each workout a good balance between strength training and cardio, as well as indoor and outdoor experiences."

Shelley Roth, a civil engineer who enjoys the performance camp, went from being sedentary and overweight to someone who now works out four days a week at boot camp and another two times a week on her own. "I lost 60 pounds over two years," declares Roth, "and now I enjoy fun runs like the recent Muddy Buddy in Boulder."

Small-business owner Mike Johnson keeps returning to the camps because he gets a better overall workout. "I end up doing things I would not normally do on my own and, when the workout is through, I feel great," he says.

Jake Herman, research scientist and active lacrosse player, has been participating in the Level 10 camps five days a week for more than a year. The instructors, all active-duty Marines, put the campers through workouts similar to those recruits are subjected to. "These sessions definitely bring you out of your comfort zone," Herman says. "This is the fastest track you can get with lots of team building along with a very plyometric workout," he says of the explosive moves that are included. He says his lacrosse, trail running and snowboarding have improved as a result of the camps.

"Exercise is for everyone," says Garth Heth, a Denver Health-trained emergency medical technician and former personal trainer who owns Genesis Fitness Camps. He says his programs are five weeks instead of four, and are an hour and 15 minutes long rather than one hour because that timing produces the best results.

Participants are tested at the beginning of each camp; the test is repeated at the end so that everyone can see how they have improved. Experts often make guest appearances to teach kickboxing, yoga and nutrition, and triathletes and marathoners are brought in to lend their experiences.

"All our instructors are trained by the program, and most have several certifications," emphasizes Heth. "But this sort of participation experience is not for everyone. You need to like the group dynamic. Our job is to help you do things you don't normally do yourself."

Boot Camp of the Rockies (BCOR.net) has had nine locations in the metro area since 2001. BCOR offers classes year-round, indoors from November through March via leased facilities and outdoors at local parks April through October. Camps are six weeks long, are all co-ed and meet three days a week at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Each class begins and ends together with a warm-up and a cool-down, says Joshua Futterman, head BCOR coach. "We then offer three levels of intensity with coaches for each group. People can go to whatever level they want and even switch levels for different activities. We are passionate about helping people change their lives by living healthier and feeling better."

Adventure Boot Camp, created by John Spencer Ellis of California, is the largest boot camp organization, with locations all over the United States and around the world (find a camp at

bootcampfinder.com).

Andy Alexander became certified through its training program and now runs an Adventure Boot Camp in Parker (ParkerBootCamp.com). Each camp is four weeks long with a three-, four- or five-day-a-week participation option. The camp at 5:30 a.m. is for women, and his new camp for men is offered at 6 p.m.

In the winter he rents a facility but in the summer it is all outdoors. "What is nice about the boot camp concept is that the activities are more fun and more varied," Alexander says. "The camps are structured so that all skill levels can participate. There are always alternative exercises and many of the exercises are timed rather than counted so anyone who needs to stop or slow down can do so."

"I like the bonding and the competitiveness," says Lisa Shaw, an Adventure Boot Camp enthusiast and real-estate agent. "After a session I am more relaxed and the day goes better."

So, if you are ready to challenge yourself or try something new that is a bit more intense, maybe you should become a recruit.

Linda J. Buch is a certified fitness trainer in Denver and co-author of "The Commercial Break Workout." Write her at linda@LJbalance.com.

Ellie