PDA

View Full Version : Any recon/ scout sniper/ special ops Marines?

JordanB
05-14-07, 07:53 AM
If there are any recon, scout sniper, special ops, or infantry Marines who have previously served on a M.E.U. could you guys give me the 411 on how to best get into that line of work in the Corps? I think I am on the right path signing up for 03xx infantry (shooting to become an assault man in S.O.I. if possible) and I will definately do my best to be a steller recruit/ Marine when I earn the title, but is there any advice beyond this you guys would pass on to me?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-14-07, 12:36 PM
First, there is nothing extraordinary about a Marine on a MEU. It isn't some super duper high speed unit. The infantry aboard a MEU is just an infantry battalion that is assigned to the MEU. For example, if you are assigned to Second Battalion/Second Marines when it comes time for you to go on a MEU you will go through a work-up period that includes something called SOCex. When you pass that the MEU will be special operations capable (SOC). 2/2 will become BLT (Battalion Landing Team) 2/2 while they are attached to the MEU.

As for the rest, it has all been covered. The Cliff's Notes version is:
1. Be in shape. They don't want you unless your PFT score is at least 275.
2. Be a good Marine. If you're a trouble maker they don't want you.
3. Have a good attitude.

Now, when you get to SOI you can take the recon indoc. Read Accord's post in the Poolee hall about SOI and he will tell you all about the indoc he just took.

STA indoc is a little different. But, you'll need the same qualities to make it.