PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Carolina's ties with military must remain strong

thedrifter
05-13-07, 08:09 AM
Taylor column: Eastern Carolina's ties with military must remain strong

The Daily Reflector

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Way back in the early days of World War II, a special bond was formed between eastern residents and the marines of Camp Lejeune and Cherry Point.

That bond still exists between the now all-volunteer forces and the citizens of the east who appreciate what the young men and women in the service are doing for their country, as well as the economic benefits their presence brings to eastern North Carolina.

The same is true at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, which adds to the Goldsboro area in positive ways. And at Fayetteville, Fort Bragg is involved in considerable growth as military base reorganization takes place.

All this has brought staunch loyalty to the military in large areas of North Carolina, and state government has been supportive of their presence, which adds to the state's economy.

I remember, as a child, military convoys were a part of local living during World War II. I recall one which moved through Greenville on Greene Street just a half block from my house on Second Street. It seemed to take hours for the convoy to pass, while local traffic was held up. It was the war, you know.

The wartime marines often came to Greenville on weekend passes. It was, after all, a college town with an almost all-women enrollment on campus during those war years. The marines came to have fun, but the college had very stringent rules about girls being in their dorms by 10:30 p.m. on weeknights, a little later on Saturdays.

Eastern North Carolina has become very comfortable with the military presence in the east. Many officers and enlisted personnel contribute their spare time to local civic clubs, churches and other community activities. They become good citizens of the community as long as they are stationed here.

And the military bases are open to the public for some special events. I attended a Korean war veterans program at Camp Lejeune a few years ago.

The reception was cordial, although I declined an invitation to dine in the base mess hall ... too many memories.

It is always comforting to step outside here in Pitt County and hear the military jets fly over at night. And those who didn't feel a patriotic tremor run up and down their spines on the night of 9/11 were oblivious to the dangers of that terrible time.

The nation was effectively at war. Those military jets overflying the area were on missions which might have involved destroying menacing aircraft. It's what they train for.

It has to be said that the controversy over the outlying landing field has put some strain on state and military relations in recent years. Washington and Beaufort counties might not be the place to build such a facility, given the wildlife sanctuary; indeed it is becoming more apparent that it might not be constructed there at all.

Our state and congressional leaders mostly oppose the Washington-Beaufort location, and that may be right. But they should reassure the military that eastern North Carolina offers an excellent climate for the installations.

The record of support is there, and now our elected leaders must reiterate that there has long been a close bond between North Carolina and its military neighbors.

Ellie