PDA

View Full Version : Only place to ask this...

DaveXIII90
05-12-07, 10:02 PM
I have searched the internet for a while and have yet to come across a good reccomendation for a movie based on the Blitzkrieg. I ask here for obvious reason: military personell MIGHT JUST KNOW MORE about military movies than the average civilian lol. So, what I am looking for is a fairly intense, prefferably in color, film based almost or entirely on the Blitzkrieg. I love movies based on famous historical events. And the Blitz seems like one of the most intense and fierce topics to set a movie around.

Zulu 36
05-12-07, 10:13 PM
The blitzkreig was not a single event or battle. It was a military strategy.

The invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany in September 1939 was the first application.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-12-07, 10:38 PM
True, it started with Poland and swept continental Europe.

DaveXIII90
05-12-07, 10:45 PM
Alrighty, well in that case...are there any movies that involve the part of the Blitz where London is firebombed?

Zulu 36
05-12-07, 10:58 PM
None that come immediately to mind. There are some good documentaries out there I've seen on the History Channel and other places.

You also need to know that the bombing of London and the rest of England in WWII was called "The Blitz" by the British, not the Germans.

The bombing of England by Germany was not intended to be a part of a "Blitzkreig" strategy . The Germans knew they could not pull that one off on the Brits. The Germans knew it was probably going to be more of a slogging war, not a lighting war, if they invaded England. The bombing was originally intended to be the preliminary bombardment.

outlaw3179
05-12-07, 11:25 PM
HOPE AND GLORY

Its the only one that comes to mind. Tells the story of a little boy in England who lives through the bombings.

Heres the link to IMDB

http://imdb.com/title/tt0093209/

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-13-07, 12:03 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Londons-Longest-Night/dp/B000BYRCC4

That is about London during the Blitz. I don't know if it is what you're looking for- but it isn't bad.