PDA

View Full Version : Half Mast

thedrifter
05-12-07, 07:27 AM
Half Mast
by Maj Pain

Half-masting a flag is a last symbolic showing of grief.

Spectators on the side of the Capital building in Washington, D.C. The flag is flying at half-mast, May, 1865, following the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, founder of the Republican Party.
Ok, Im going to pick a scab here but if you don’t like it then go watch Dr Phil or something.

On April 16,2007 VT suffered a great loss as one idiot thought he could make 2 wrongs right and killed several innocent students.

On April 20, 1999, a couple other idiots did a similar act at Columbine HighSchool.

The point is that after the VT event the flag was ordered to be flown at half mast.
The flag flown at half-mast is a symbol to remember someone who has died.

That can be a well-known person or a group of people like the massacre at Virginia Tech recently. And the flying of the flag at half-mast is a sign of respect for someone we feel sorry for who has died.

I ask a simple question, why haven’t we noticed that we haven’t been flying any flags for those warriors paying the ultimate sacrifice?
Some would say, fly the flag half mast until the war in Iraq/Afghanistan is over.

But what if we simply just lowered the flag half mast when a service member died from a particular state? That state capital could lower its flag for a day couldn’t it? Wait a second, would that require someone to give a crap and to do somthing?

The Marines are at war and America is at the mall I read on a dry erase board from another warrior and he nailed it.

After Sept 11, the flags were out and we were ****ed. You still are mad………aren’t you? Because we are still at war! How many of those flags have come down and no longer line the streets?

I figure, warriors are spending years at a deployment fighting, cant we spend one day in their recognition back here when one pays the ultimate sacrifice? Just One Marine’s View.

Ellie

ErikHeiker
05-13-07, 02:58 AM
I totally disagree with the decision to fly the flag at half mast for the VT victims. They died wimpering and simpering and didn't do a damn thing to stop a madman. Liberalism has exalted cowardice, passivity, weakness and reliance on government. Conversely, liberalism has castigated heroism, assertiveness, strength and self reliance. While the VT victims didn't deserve their fate, neither did they deserve the flag at half mast.