PDA

View Full Version : 2nd MLG clear on Iraq mission

thedrifter
05-12-07, 06:28 AM
May 12, 2007 - 12:00AM
2nd MLG clear on Iraq mission

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
AL ANBAR PROVINCE, Iraq - Marines and sailors of 2nd Marine Logistics Group have taken large strides toward handing over control of Al Anbar Province to the Iraqi forces.

Though they haven't yet reached that goal, Brig. Gen. James A. Kessler said he sees the progress daily.

"The Marines, sailors and soldiers are really doing a terrific job and without exception see the value in the work they are doing," Kessler said in a telephone interview from Iraq. "They see that what we're doing here has a positive and great effect among civilians and Iraqis here in Al Anbar Province."

For Kessler and around 4,000 troops with 2nd Marine Logistics Group, the mission has been clear since the beginning - to achieve "swift" Iraqi control.

Marines and sailors of 2nd MLG provide the logistics combat element of II Marine Expeditionary Force, which took command from California-based I Marine Expeditionary Force earlier this year. The group, on a one-year deployment, provides general engineering, transportation, supplies, medical and dental support, maintenance and repair of equipment.

Each of those are things that are making a difference, Kessler said.

"It's an extremely wide range of things that they do within the 2nd MLG that in the aggregate helps to increase the force and the strength of Multi-National Force West," Kessler said.

The 8th Engineering Support Battalion of 2nd MLG has worked alongside the 30th Naval Construction Regiment to build new combat outposts and a government center where local officials can work and govern their province, Kessler said.

Combat logistics patrols travel daily to deliver supplies to forces throughout Al Anbar Province, while maintenance crews work on a wide range of equipment to help troops get back into the fight swiftly.

Also, the group's medical support is helping improve health care for the Iraqi people - something Kessler calls "heroic work."

"It would make your eyes water to see what they're doing," he said. "In all of this we are going to transfer those capabilities to similar capabilities with the Iraqis. We are seeing improvements in logistics and medical care with the Iraqis."

In addition, local officials have stepped up to assist coalition forces in facilitating the handover to Iraqi forces and have been making "a real change," Kessler said.

"They have come together and realized that al Qaeda in Iraq is really indiscriminate in their targeting and often times the victims of their very horrific attacks are the local Iraqi people themselves," he said. "They're realizing that the goals and aims of al Qaeda are not the goals and aims of the Iraqi people, so they have begun to work with coalition forces and helped us in reaching our goal of transitioning to the Iraqi forces."

Morale among the troops remains high, he said, while the transition in January and February from 1st Marine Logistics Group was "seamless."

"We were very fortunate that when we came in 1st MLG had really worked hard to make sure things were set up for the transition," Kessler said. "I think we not only took the ball from them in stride, but we've even been able to pick up the pace a little."

To reach the ultimate objective of handing over control to the Iraqi forces, Kessler said 2nd MLG will continue to foster positive relationships with the Iraqi people.

"I also want to continue to provide the same high level of support to the coalition forces here," he said. "We have made tremendous progress here in Al Anbar Province, but that's not to say it doesn't continue to be a dangerous place and a place where we've got to make sure we're ready whenever and wherever possible to eliminate Al Qaeda forces."

To do that, Marines and sailors of 2nd MLG most often fall back on their training.

"I think it comes into play every single day, every time one of my convoys goes outside the wire," Kessler said. "And we continue to try to refine that training because its value is unmistakable."

Also, troops rely on support from the homefront, he said.

"I think sometimes our families are somewhat forgotten in all of this, and it's through their strength and support that we can focus on our mission here," Kessler said. "That includes our extended family there in the community in Jacksonville and Onslow County."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie