PDA

View Full Version : Classmates give Marine a $6K scholarship

thedrifter
05-11-07, 07:45 PM
Classmates give Marine a $6K scholarship
Staff and wire reports
Posted : Friday May 11, 2007 12:59:47 EDT

Lance Cpl. Aaron Hummel, 22, won’t graduate from Michigan’s Hillsdale College this spring because he had to take a detour from his schoolwork — to Fallujah, Iraq, to be precise, where he spent his time kicking in doors.

But his classmates took some of the sting out of the extra time he has to spend in school by chipping in to give him a $6,000 scholarship and honoring him with a specially dedicated flagpole outside the college’s new student union.

Hummel was originally going to get $2,007, the Hillsdale Daily News reported, but an alumnus made a last-minute contribution that more than doubled the original gift. The Marine told the newspaper he appreciated the gift but that he hadn’t gone to Iraq for scholarships. He went, he said, to serve his country. But class president Hans Zeiger wouldn’t have it.

“I don’t feel like I deserve a scholarship,” Hummel said. “I told Hans to give it to someone else. In typical Hans fashion, he said, ‘Suck it up, you’re getting it.’ It’s very, very generous.”

Ellie

Zulu 36
05-11-07, 08:32 PM
Out of Hillsdale, I'm not too surprised. It is a pretty conservative college. One of the few (and the proud I'm sure).