View Full Version : Stow veteran strums up new way to support troops

thedrifter
05-11-07, 11:18 AM
Posted on Fri, May. 11, 2007
Stow veteran strums up new way to support troops
Man plans to send a guitar a month until Iraq war ends
By Jim Carney
Beacon Journal staff writer

STOW - Paul Hickman is transforming his love for country and guitars into an outreach project with some noise for troops serving in Iraq.

He calls it Guitars for Grunts.

The Marines have Toys for Tots, he reasoned, so why not Guitars for Grunts?

The 40-year-old, who served four years in the Marine Corps and two years in the Ohio National Guard, first sent a guitar -- an Ovation acoustic -- to a Marine in Iraq a few weeks ago.

``I don't want people to forget our troops are still there,'' Hickman said.

In two weeks, he hopes to send another guitar -- a Galveston acoustic, this time -- when he gets an address for a Marine, soldier, sailor or airman serving there.

He found his first name and address by sending an e-mail to the Web site www.*********************.

Hickman, who works as a sales associate at Office Max in Stow, said he plans to send a guitar a month for as long as the fighting continues. Including the guitar to be shipped out soon, he owns 14.

Because Hickman has an area distributor who will sell acoustic guitars at wholesale for about $50, he said, he might auction a few of his guitars to raise more money for such purchases.

Hickman knows members of the armed services often get bored while overseas, and he said playing guitar is a great stress reliever. ``It gives you an escape,'' he said. ``When I've had a stressful day, I'll come home and crank up the amp.''

Whoever receives his guitars, he said, should leave them behind in Iraq for the units that replace theirs.

The message he wants to send through his project, he said, is that the troops are not forgotten.

To reach Hickman, e-mail him at phickman@neo.rr.com.
Jim Carney can be reached at 330-996-3576 or jcarney@thebeaconjournal.com.

Ellie