PDA

View Full Version : Do Marines have sporting events?

mjcb23
05-09-07, 08:07 PM
Hey im not talkin bout real leagues, but i was just wondering if the Marines have little leagues on bases with competetive sports such as basketball or football? Cause i just wanted to know some of the fun things i can do in my off time when i join.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-09-07, 08:12 PM
Yes

Zulu 36
05-09-07, 08:36 PM
Sure, lots of opportunities. The Marine Corps thrives on competition, in case you haven't noticed.

My brother played first base on the Marine Corps West Coast travelling softball team when he was in. He was normally stationed at Barstow.

I know HQBn, 1st MarDiv, fielded teams made up of guys from the assorted companies. They played softball, football, basketball, volleyball, rugby, and some other stuff against teams from other battalions on the base.

My captain wanted to play football (he played defensive end in college and was a big SOB), but the Base CG said no officers on contact sport teams with enlisted. He was bummed, but got to help coach the team.

No hockey, so I didn't play.

I did play league racketball on MCAS Futenma, Okinawa, during my 2d trip there.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-09-07, 09:46 PM
We did have officers on our football team. My unit didn't have a team so we played with the Naval Hospital team. They had a couple of people that had played at Navy.

I also played on the base rugby team, our unit softball team, and did a short stint with the base baseball team but deployments got in the way of that. Some units take the sports very seriously. I remember a time when football players with the First Marines were able to get away with murder as long as they were going to be able to play.

DevilDogHEMech
05-10-07, 06:08 PM
Just about anywhere you go in the Marine Corps there will be sports to play and events to compete in. I just finished a two-year tour in Okinawa (home on leave now before I go to Pendleton), and out there we had MCCS-organized competitions in football, basketball, wrestling, softball, volleyball, and just about any other sport you can think of. Take advantage of this instead of just sitting in the barracks playing video games or going out in town and getting wasted every night. Also, once in a while there will be field meets where you compete as a platoon/company against other units on the base. Even in Iraq we still played football on our off time.

konman1
05-17-07, 11:32 AM
We had a flag football and softball teams,