PDA

View Full Version : Flag of Our Fathers-Movie Opinions

killerinstinct
05-09-07, 11:32 AM
Hey who all has seen this movie and is it worth seeing? I haven't really read any reviews and from what I can see it seems to have more WWII stuff and Iwo Jima on there. I got a chance to go to Iwo Jima and we humped down that beach its mostly trash, shoes wash up but that sad is and am sure was a ***** to hump to the mountain..

For all you brothers that were actually there after that ya'll earned a greater respect to have rushed on a beach like that..:beer:

kherrick
05-09-07, 11:38 AM
That was a great movie. It really showed what war can do to a person

JinxJr
05-09-07, 11:39 AM
I saw the movie. If you read the book, the movie followed it pretty well. I'd call it worth seeing...I'd watch it again. Eastwood does a fair job trying to maintain historical accuracy. Every author/director is going to take some "poetic license" so you always have to weed out some but I don't think he went over the top on anything.

semperfi170
05-09-07, 11:41 AM
In my opinion it was a movie worth seeing!!:iwo: Read the book which gives you a lot more details. The Doc was sure one great hero and didn't brag about it! What comes out is that Doc was still looking out for his Marines during the whole bond tour. Great man!!!!:!:

10thzodiac
05-09-07, 11:46 AM
Round out your movie experience with Eastwood's "Letters Home Iwo Jima".

In my opinion, it is not merely a sympathy movie for the Japanese, but only a movie of Men killing Men.

maverickmarine
05-09-07, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I liked it. I actually bought it when it became available but of course I do that with most Marine movies other than freakin' Jarhead that is. Yeah, check it out.

JinxJr
05-09-07, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I liked it. I actually bought it when it became available but of course I do that with most Marine movies other than freakin' Jarhead that is. Yeah, check it out.

Jarhead definitely . . . SUCKED !!!

semperfi170
05-09-07, 12:25 PM
That damn movie and book by the same name - Jarhead- should be ignored. What a piece of trash!!

yellowwing
05-09-07, 12:30 PM
Flags of Our Fathers is a pretty good flick. The only thing that would make it a perfect movie if it addressed more on the the Marine Bond with each other.

JinxJr
05-09-07, 12:33 PM
That damn movie and book by the same name - Jarhead- should be ignored. What a piece of trash!!
I actually did end up buying Jarhead. One of the kids rented it. Halfway through it, I gingerly removed it from the DVD Player and launched that prick out the front door like a frisbee. It layed in the bottom of the birdbath for three days.

yellowwing
05-09-07, 12:41 PM
Jamie Foxx was the only good feature of that tired dog. "Every day I thank God for another day in the Corps. Oh-rah!"

JinxJr
05-09-07, 12:49 PM
I wasn't out for very long when I really started to miss it.

futureXjarhead
05-09-07, 12:56 PM
i thought Jarhead made sniper school look to easy, but Flags of our Fathers was great. it was full with enough action but still kept the story line together.

maverickmarine
05-09-07, 12:57 PM
I actually did end up buying Jarhead. One of the kids rented it. Halfway through it, I gingerly removed it from the DVD Player and launched that prick out the front door like a frisbee. It layed in the bottom of the birdbath for three days.

Well, I was going to say sorry you wasted your money buying it but then again I saw it at the movies and after tickets and drinks you probably got off better than I did. Other than I had to endur the whole thing.

maverickmarine
05-09-07, 12:58 PM
Jamie Foxx was the only good feature of that tired dog. "Every day I thank God for another day in the Corps. Oh-rah!"

See Jamie Fox gets on my nerves and I didn't think he did a very good job but that was the one outstanding statement he made in it.

kydevildogmark
05-09-07, 12:58 PM
Went and seen it in the theatres and i i dont think there was a dry veteren eye in the theatre.I really enjoyed it.I would give my left arm to sit down with a vet that stormed the beach. The MARINES that hit that beach without a clue are my hero's. God bless those gentlemen.

futureXjarhead
05-09-07, 01:01 PM
yeah the only other part i liked in Jarhead was when the drill instructor said "why are you here!" and whatever jake gylenhal's characters name was said "sir! i got lost on the way to college sir!"

yellowwing
05-09-07, 01:20 PM
Went and seen it in the theatres and i i dont think there was a dry veteren eye in the theatre.I really enjoyed it.I would give my left arm to sit down with a vet that stormed the beach. The MARINES that hit that beach without a clue are my hero's. God bless those gentlemen.
The movie premiere up herein Winnipeg was supposed to have a Iwo Veteran. I looked forward to to meeting one of our Grandfathers. But It did not happen. :(

drumcorpssnare
05-09-07, 01:45 PM
My 1st Sgt. at K-Bay ('74-'75) fought at Iwo Jima. His words- "When I hit the beach, things were fast and furious! I had to take a sh!t, and there was no time to stop. I slit the back of my dungarees with my combat knife, and sh!t on the run!"
He stayed in long enough to get his thirty years. Couldn't pass the PFT and was unqualified on the range. Scuttlebutt was the Corps just let him finish his time, because he fought and survived Iwo. Don't recall his name, but he was a good guy.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

kydevildogmark
05-09-07, 01:47 PM
that sucks i can sit and listen to them stories all day long. It is unbelievable how those guys made it.