PDA

View Full Version : Requesting PI instead of SD

grodunt
05-09-07, 08:39 AM
Before I signed up my recruiter told me that I could request to go to PI and that I would most likely get it because my father was a Marine and went through boot there. He told me that all I had to do was write a letter requesting to go there and that would be that. So I give him the letter and now it seems like he's dragging his feet on it. I think he's getting pressure from higher ups asking him why the hell I want to go to PI, but I could be wrong. I'm curious to hear what you all think or know about requesting a switch of Depots.

I live in TX and ship 20070528. Thank you.

killerinstinct
05-09-07, 08:52 AM
only Texans that go to PI wear bras...

Marine84
05-09-07, 09:59 AM

I spewed allllllllllllllll over the monitor!

GySgtRet
05-09-07, 11:08 AM
The program that you are speaking of is The Favorite son or daughter of a Marine. This states that if you have preference as to where you want to recieve reruit traing you have the option of doing so. However, it is up to the descretion of the Commanding Officer. This will always be the case no matter where you go in the Marine Corps.

Good luck

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-09-07, 11:37 AM
Honestly, I don't know why ANYONE would want to go to PI rather than SD. You get the same training in either place. But, if you go to PI you have to deal with all of those horrible little bugs. In SD you have to climb mountains. After spending some time in the field in and around Beufort I can say I'd pick climbing mountains any day.

maverickmarine
05-09-07, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I have to agree all things being equal training wise, I am glad I got the mountains and not those nasty sand fleas.

grodunt
05-09-07, 12:45 PM
Thank you GySgtRet. My grandparents live in Florida and travelling to PI will be much easier and cheaper for them. I really don't care where I go but my dad is really excited about going back to PI and it will be a great day for the family.

Goose
05-09-07, 01:04 PM
I went to Parris Island in 1985 2nd Battalion 2085. And I went to Camp Pendelton 3/5 afterwards. I have been to MCRD SD. From what I've seen is that if having a choice, It would be PI. Yes the bugs are a pain. But in SD, your right next to the airport and you have to travel to Pendelton for some training. And I know for a fact that sometimes the fleet marines will even though there not suppose to, will mess with the BOOTS and move there colors.

Its as easy as this. You will become a Marine soon enough. And the nuts & bolts of it is this. On Parris Island you don't really have any outside contact to distract you. MCRD you do.

Good Luck

davblay
05-09-07, 04:31 PM
In 1969, my oldest brother(a USMC SGT) was in Nam, I enlisted with the option of SD or PI, I chose SD. I visited PI several times and I am glad I went thru SD! BTW, I live in Tennessee! But the point is that I had a choice, so did my other brother when he enlisted in 1970, he went to PI. If the Commander agrees, then you will go to PI, if that's what you want. It seems that you have a good reason, after all! Good luck.

sparkie
06-27-07, 12:21 PM
Fleas? What fleas? All I remember was blood running down everyones arms and legs from the deer flies. I would choose PI any day simply cause I worked at Sheraton hotel 'cross the airport from MCRDSD and found many a recruit run away at nite, lost and scared.
Must have been a hell of a temptation seeing San Diego all around.
Give me the swamp any day.

DWG
06-27-07, 01:04 PM

I thought all texans wore bras! :p