PDA

View Full Version : Local hero awarded Bronze Star

thedrifter
05-09-07, 05:37 AM
Published: May 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Local hero awarded Bronze Star
James Coburn
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — “Train your body, prepare your mind, and be ready to sacrifice it all … for there is no greater calling than to lead Marines,” are words 1st. Sgt. Craig T. Yohe keeps posted on his office door.

Yohe recently was presented the Bronze Star Medal for heroic achievement by the U.S. Marine Corps on behalf of President George W. Bush in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Still, the 1988 Edmond Memorial High School graduate does not consider himself a hero.

“I did what any Marine leader would do in the same situation,” Yohe said of when a platoon-size force of insurgents attacked the Iraqi police station in Karmah on Christmas Eve 2005.

“They attacked with everything they had: IEDs, RPGs, machine guns, grenades and small arms from all four sides,” Yohe said.

Yohe led the Quick Reaction Force to the scene where the Marines engaged the enemy to the south and began taking heavy fire from the North, he said.

“We had to cross a large open area to push the attack and were completely exposed from the North,” Yohe said. “I had Marine casualties at the police station that needed evacuation so I had one of the QRF (Quick Reaction Force) armored vehicles drive up and create a barrier between my Marines and the fire from the North so we could cross the road and push the attack.”

The attack was broken within a few minutes. “His swift and resolute actions resulted in the protection of the lives of the QRF and saving the lives of four seriously wounded Marines at the IP station by ensuring their medical evaluation occurred within minutes after injury,” Marine Lt. Gen. J.N. Mattis stated in a citation.

Casualties were evacuated and abandoned enemy equipment was collected while securing the area, Yohe said.

“As a result of the superb action of all the Marines that day catastrophe was averted and all injured Marines made a speedy recovery,” Yohe added.

Yohe served two tours in Iraq. From January to June 2003 with 2d Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and upon promotion to first sergeant, he was reassigned by personal request to 2d Battalion, 2d Marines as the company first sergeant and served in Iraq from July 2005 to February 2006.

The Marines’ mission was to conduct counter-insurgency operations in the area of Karmah, Iraq, west of Fallujah.

“We were training the Iraqi Army and preparing for the referendum elections and the general elections that wound up being a great success,” he said. “We also eventually began assisting with training the Iraqi police in our area of operations. Overall, we had great success, we turned over Karmah to the control of the Iraqi Army and both elections went very well with larger than expected turn out.”

Ellie

thedrifter
05-09-07, 06:32 AM
Marine learned honor early
James Coburn
The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — Craig T. Yohe’s journey as a Marine was inspired during his boyhood in Edmond. He was reared with a deep respect and clear understanding of the sacrifices made by men and women in the U.S. military who have fought to keep America free.

“I realized early on that I needed to share in that sacrifice in order to truly understand what freedom means,” said 1st. Sgt. Craig Yohe of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Yohe recently was presented the Bronze Star Medal for his heroism in Iraq.

“He’s just so proud to be a Marine,” said his mother, Gail Yohe of Edmond. “His first thought is for all Marines under him and never thinks of himself.”

Gail said her son wears his Bronze Star in honor of the Marines and other U.S. military personnel who lost their lives in Iraq.

“Needless to say I’m very proud of him,” Gail said.

Craig Yohe and his wife, Margaret, have three daughters, Richelle and Jessica, both 18; and Brooke, 15. Yohe is the son of Gail Yohe of Edmond and Richard Yohe of Salem, Ill., and has a brother, Graydon Yohe, in Tulsa.

Yohe has several family members who have served in the military, but it was the Marine Corps that captivated his attention. In 1988, Craig Yohe enlisted in the Marines at age 17 and five days after graduating from Edmond Memorial High School. He attended Recruit Training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.

He had intended to serve four years and go on with life.

“In the Marine Corps I found a ‘band of brothers’ that shared a bond that I had never seen before, the pride, professionalism and individual character of Marines that I came in contact with made it clear to me that I wanted to continue to serve my country,” Yohe said.

After serving in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm, he re-enlisted for another four years. Nineteen years later, he still enjoys every day at work. Today, Yohe is the company first sergeant for Company D, Infantry Training Battalion at the School of Infantry (East) Camp Lejeune, N.C.

“I get to see the best of America’s youth and I get to directly impact their lives in a positive way,” he said. “I get to watch them grow into Marine leaders and leaders of communities around this great nation. Who could ask for anything more rewarding?”

Yohe said the men and women in the U.S. military represent the best of American ideals.

“I am continually humbled to lead such fine young people that so freely give everything they have to offer so that we may enjoy and preserve our way of life,” Craig Yohe said.

“I have met and served with some of the finest people in this world that believe whole-heartedly in the mission and know that with patience and perseverance we will succeed. Counter-insurgency is never won easily but it can be won and the Marines I serve with want to win it.”

Ellie