05-08-07, 10:20 PM
Semper FI (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270832,00.html):iwo: :cry:

sgt tony
05-08-07, 10:25 PM
They did there job with great honor my they rest in peace

Semper Fi Brothers

yellowwing
05-08-07, 11:55 PM
God Bless and Keep Master Sgt. Michael Wert. As Marines we cannot just stand on the beach and watch someone drown. As Marines we just cannot stand in the parking lot and watch our store owner get beat up. As Marines we cannot sit at home when terrorists drive planes into our World Trade Center.

Semper Fi Master Sergeant Wert! :usmc:

jinelson
05-09-07, 08:32 AM
Marine Drowns Saving 2 Boys Off North Carolina Beach

Tuesday , May 08, 2007

ALMA, Mich. —

A U.S. Marine drowned after saving two children who were swimming off Atlantic Beach in North Carolina, the military said.

Master Sgt. Michael Wert, an intelligence chief for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing at Cherry Point in Havelock, N.C., was vacationing this past weekend with his family at the beach when he saw two boys struggling in the surf, the Marines said in a statement.

His wife, Debbie, said her husband rushed into the water to help while she went to call 911. Their daughter, Katrina, grabbed a boogie board and followed Wert, a Michigan native, into the water.

"She managed to help the boys onto the board, but didn't see her dad with them," Debbie Wert said in the statement. "The one little boy told her (Michael Wert) had to let them go and had died."

Rescue personnel found Wert but could not revive him.

Wert joined the Marines in 1989 after graduating from Alma High School, where he was a cross-country runner, The Saginaw News reported. He served in Operation Desert Storm and supported Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"He was a good student and a fine young man," said school secretary Anne Jarrett. "He died trying to save someone else. Not many people would do that."

Alma City Manager Phillip J. Moore said some in the small community north of Lansing have called city hall to see how they can help the family.

"It's a tragedy, but we are all proud of him," Moore said.

In addition to his wife and daughter, Wert is survived by two other children, his parents and two siblings.

A memorial service was scheduled for Wednesday at the Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point. Visitation was scheduled for Friday at Dewey Funeral Home in Alma, with funeral services Saturday at Alma United Methodist Church.

chit-chat
05-09-07, 09:04 AM
I wish to express my deepest sympathy to the family on behalf of myself and my wife and family May God be with you at this time

:cry:

jinelson
05-09-07, 09:13 AM
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2007/05/marine_wert_drowned_070507/marine_wert1_500p_070508_287.jpg

Semper Fi Top!

drumcorpssnare
05-09-07, 09:24 AM
He left this life like many, many Marines....a hero. R.I.P. brother.:flag:

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

FistFu68
05-09-07, 10:45 AM
:usmc: HE GAVE HIS LIFE~SO OTHER'S MAY LIVE :usmc: :iwo:

thedrifter
05-10-07, 07:13 AM
Marines Honor Michael Wert

Posted: 7:13 PM May 9, 2007
Last Updated: 10:14 PM May 9, 2007

Wert was killed when he went to save three young boys struggling in the Atlantic Ocean this weekend. Wert is survived by his wife Debbie, and his three children, Katrina, Rochelle and Michael. His friends and family say what he enjoyed most was spending time with his family, and fishing. His fellow Marines say there was no one around like him, he was the one they went to for advice, and the one that was always there to help deployed families, and was at the airport each and everytime troops came home. Fellow Marines he worked with say "top" as they called him was a hero long before Saturday Afternoon. Wert's funeral will be held Saturday in his hometown of Alma Michigan.

Ellie

thedrifter
05-10-07, 08:21 AM
Memorial held for Marine who rescued children
By Trista Talton - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday May 9, 2007 17:02:46 EDT

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. — If anyone was likely to dash into a churning ocean to rescue two children, it was Master Sgt. Michael Wert.

As the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing intelligence chief, he gracefully accepted the role as the go-to guy for his Marines. He was the one who helped his major’s son build a pinewood derby car while the officer was deployed. He knew when babies were born in the command. He kept up with birthdays and anniversaries. He was the first to greet Marines getting off the plane after a tour in Iraq.

“He was always there to help,” Lt. Col. William Conley, commander of Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2 said Wednesday morning at a memorial service for Wert. “Saturday afternoon, Master Sergeant Wert responded to the need for help. As always, he didn’t hesitate — he went to help. He tragically lost his own life in doing so.”

Wert, his wife and three children were at Atlantic Beach on Saturday when he noticed two boys in distress in the ocean, where a storm system off the East Coast was pushing big waves onto the shore. After noticing two boys in distress, Wert made his way toward them while his wife, Debbie, called 911.

Their daughter, Katrina, grabbed a boogie board and followed her father. Debbie Wert headed for the car to get another board, but when she returned a rescue team had arrived.

As Katrina helped the boys get onto the board, she noticed her father wasn’t there.

“The one little boy told her he had to let them go and had died,” Debbie Wert said in a statement. “We realized at that point we were only seeing three heads on the board and that Mike was missing. Katrina got them to help kick that board in, and all of them were safe.”

The rescue team found Wert, brought him to shore and tried to revive him. As they worked, strangers prayed with the family and comforted the Wert children.

Wert was six days shy of celebrating his 36th birthday.

On a sunny Wednesday morning, Marines in their desert cammies somberly removed their covers as they filed into the air station chapel to celebrate Wert’s life.

Photos of Wert flashed in a slideshow on a projector screen hanging over the chapel pulpit. Many were of him smiling, playing with his children on the beach, relaxing at home, posing with his petite wife and fishing. A brass band played old gospel hymns such as “He Walks With Me” and “Amazing Grace” as the photos changed.

Those who stood up spoke of Wert’s character as a family man and a Marine.

“I admired him for his commitment to service and the Marine Corps,” said Col. Kathy Tate. “We know he was a hero every day.”

Wert served in Operations Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom.

A funeral service will be held in his home state of Michigan on Saturday.

Ellie

Sgt Leprechaun
05-10-07, 09:51 AM
I believe, but I'm not sure, that I served with a 'young' PFC/LCpl Wert 'back in the day'.

RIP.

Damn shame. He died honorably, and as a true HERO, unlike the twaddle in a previous article, asking if the scum who deserted are 'heroes' or 'cowards'.

I think the answer is obvious.

Ignition
05-12-07, 05:38 PM
i have some buddies out here in iraq(2maw FWD) that were telling me about this today

Sux to loose someone, even more so on friendly soil. But your honor lives on MSgt