PDA

View Full Version : Tornado in Kansas

davblay
05-08-07, 04:00 PM
http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/ (javascript:ol('http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/');)

Hopefully this link will show you something that I thought was the result of a nuclear bomb! This happend last Friday! I don't know of injuries or deaths, but just look at this! :sick:

ssgtt32
05-08-07, 04:05 PM
Link does not work!

yellowwing
05-08-07, 04:22 PM
Try this
http://www.kansas.com/static/slides/050507tornadoaerials/
Dang, harsh world. Not a single leaf on any tree.

davblay
05-08-07, 04:25 PM
try this one, it's the newpaper that covered the story!

http://www.kansas.com/

If not maybe someone else has a link to see this!

yellowwing
05-08-07, 04:29 PM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/ks_tornado.jpg
Reserve Officer Arrested for Kansas Looting (http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?id=36022&siteSection=1)
Hang'em High!

HOLM
05-08-07, 05:11 PM
I Live in Kansas City... A couple guys from Lee's Summit got some pictures of the twister in action.. I heard a interview with them this morning..

OMG...

A tornado came like two miles from my house about four years ago and turned Wyandotte into a Disaster zone for a while... What I saw was unbelievable.. It is hard to imagine that something could be worse ...

yellowwing
05-08-07, 05:21 PM
It looks kinda cool on tape, but I can rest easy in my grave if I never ever see a tornado in live full color surround sound.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-08-07, 06:26 PM
I've been through a couple (yeah, we get them in Md). Nothing like this tho.

No desire to ever see this. Ever.

My prayers to these folks. LEO LODD was related to this one as well. He was in his cruiser trying to warn folks when it was picked up and tossed. They just took him off life support today.

rsta
05-08-07, 08:10 PM
My hometown is 30 miles from Greensburg, and growing up I saw a lot of tornadoes. Nothing like this one! Good, hard-working folks live there. My heart goes out to them.

10thzodiac
05-08-07, 08:25 PM
In regards to the National Guard, does anybody ever think possibly that one of these days a Governors from a disaster stricken state is going to tell the Federal Government his people come first and to buzz-off about sending anymore of their Guardsmen to police Arabs from killing each other as more important ?

Zulu 36
05-08-07, 09:10 PM
In regards to the National Guard, does anybody ever think possibly that one of these days a Governors from a disaster stricken state is going to tell the Federal Government his people come first and to buzz-off about sending anymore of their Guardsmen to police Arabs from killing each other as more important ?

It might happen. When pigs fly. Who do you think pays for all of that hardware used by National Guard units? The Department of Defense. It belongs to the feds, not the states. Only the troops belong to the states, and even then they can be taken away without the governor's permission under certain circumstances. Such as a war, even one you don't like.

The federal government pays the vast majority of all expenses incurred by Air and Army National Guard units. Actually, 100% when it comes to the Air Guard, about 90% for Army Guard.

Such an act by a governor, beyond mere lip service, is a guarantee that one of two things could happen. #1: The National Guard units are de-funded, de-equipped, and effectively deactivated as U. S. military units (unless Air Guard when they ARE deactivated), or #2: The units are transferred into the Army or Air Force Reserve, at which point they no longer belong to the governor at all.

No state on their own could afford to maintain those National Guard (now state militia) units at full strength and equippage. In fact, DoD could deny them the ability to purchase much of that equipment. Try buying a Chinook helo or an M1A2 tank if Uncle Sam says no.

HOLM
05-08-07, 09:21 PM
Just like a lefty... 10z.. Come on.. A anti war drbble in thread about the tornado is very tasteless..

They have all the Nat Guard bodies and tools that they need to handle this situation.. Get off the soap box for two seconds please..

greensideout
05-08-07, 09:30 PM
The Guard IS short of "tools" here in the states. Not much equipment to help out when disaster hits. Just one more thing broken by the current war.

HOLM
05-08-07, 10:06 PM
Not to feed the bears here... But really that is why I get so sick of your lefties...

Every event is another opportunity to Bash Bush.. What a bunch of losers.

Just skip right past the awesome effort that is being conducted in Greensburg today, and just start right in with the shameless negative BS stupid attitude.

greensideout
05-08-07, 10:11 PM
You talking to me Holm?

HOLM
05-08-07, 10:17 PM
Yes absolutely... Greensideout. This just seems like the wrong place to carry on with that anti war stuff... They have all they need to get the rebuilding efforts underway in Greensburg. The Governer is playing the political card and that is BS... She has already said that she got all the Federal assistance she requested.

I might drive out this weekend to see If I can be of some help..

I think it is very uncalled for and very tasteless to start anti war nonsense in this thread, or on this topic for that matter..

greensideout
05-08-07, 10:29 PM
I simply said that the Guard is short of equipment. It is short of equipment because of the war. That's nothing more then a well known fact!

I served four years in the Army Guard and have been called up for state emergency duty. We were Combat Engineers and I was the Training NCO. I know how important it is to have the equipment to do the job.

I hope that you can be of help at Greensburg. Good for you to take the time to help!

marinegreen
05-08-07, 10:35 PM
I have to agree, not every thread needs to be answer with something always pretaining to the war or this administration.We have had a terrible tragedy with loss of life due to a storm. Stand down on the political crap and if you cant cease fire then click your heels 3 times and get lifes. I'm not choosing sides just this thread is about destruction from a storm ! Yellowing, those pics make a person take a step back. I've seen tornado destruction before but this is eriee !

greensideout
05-08-07, 10:43 PM
"Politcal crap"? Where did you come up with that MG? Read what I wrote again. We are short of equipment because of the war. With equipment we could do more to help. Got it?

marinegreen
05-08-07, 10:52 PM
Pull back on them reigns GSO, my bad on that part.I got a lil ahead of myself, GOT IT !!

davblay
05-08-07, 11:07 PM
Now that this National Guard issue is at rest, Remember this:

The National Guard had a duel Mission, 1st, and foremost. is FEDERAL!
Second- is the State mission!

This is how it is and that's the way it will be! Period, NUFF SAID!

GOD BLESS the people of that city that mother nature distroyed!

yellowwing
05-08-07, 11:12 PM
They tried that around 1865 and lost. Lincoln made the right call, the Union Shall Be Preserved.

8th&I Marine
05-09-07, 01:18 AM
Now that was one nasty twister. We get some of those down here in southeast Texas. I hope to hell I dont see one like that. I understand this tornado was a F5 if so that was a bad SOB. My heart goes out to the people affected by the storm.

Cantrell:flag:

DougRagan
05-09-07, 06:16 AM
WRONG!!!!!!!!!

The gov who went on television to complain about the war has retracted her statement after getting word that the Guard units indeed have what they need for the disaster. The Guard there has actually turned down support from nearby bases.

Have a nice day and stop playing politics with people's lives.

JinxJr
05-09-07, 07:55 AM
Over 40 tornados were recorded in this general area the day Greensburg was "erased" from the map. 3 days after the worst of the storms went through, 14 counties are still in a Flood Warning in N.E. Kansas. Some of the area close to where I live is still under ankle deep water. Yesterday was dry, warm and sunny and this morning it started raining again up here. Metro KC and Topeka are having huge problems. My yard is still moat-like, a little water in the basement, ruined stuff in the garage but...my house is still standing, kids are safe and back in school so I'm a grateful, happy guy who should be doing something to help the ones with the REAL problems.

Old Marine
05-09-07, 08:16 AM
I'll put up with the earthquakes on the West Coast thank you.

OLE SARG
05-09-07, 09:03 AM
Yeh, kansas governor silly ***** showed her ass with her political ****ing remarks. The damage, deaths, and injury caused by a tornado and she tops all that with her big ****ing mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!
She needs to go back to educating the illegal aliens and making sure they have driver's license ----- she is indeed a SILLY *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
05-09-07, 11:02 AM

Gentlemen, where do you see Kansas National Guard specifically in this is post, was Louisiana that long ago and who's next ?

I learned long time ago not to count on Washington.<O:p

Sgt Leprechaun
05-09-07, 11:19 AM
The La. guard did what they were supposed to do, with what they were supposed to do it with. The little known fact is, most of their 'on site' equipment, based at Jefferson Barracks, was flooded out due to similiar logistical planning that allowed most of the school buses to be flooded as well.

The Guard belonged to the gubbner, who didn't have a clue, just like Nagin. The fault lies with the local administration, not the federal gummint.

THAT being said, I don't rely on the fed to help me with squat. Those who do are in for a rude awakening.

JinxJr
05-09-07, 11:19 AM
The Governor of Kansas never whined about the Feds not doing enough. Her remarks were regarding her concern that, if another disaster of this kind hits Kansas (which is likely this time of year) that she might not have the assets needed to provide assistance to victims because half of her equipment is in Iraq. A statement of fact! She hasn't ranted about the war in Iraq and few in her position support the troops like she does. This thing has nothing to do with the war and everything to do with being able to help victims. Kansas Guardsmen have worked the borders building fences and helping with relief efforts anyplace that needs them.

HOLM
05-09-07, 04:46 PM
Oh give me a break.. That bimbo *****es and bellyaches about the war at every opportunity..

She also one time declared herself a outstanding wartime Governor.. Ahh Geez...

Just the fact that we have to talk about what the bimbo said,

instead of extending support to the victims is enough evidence for me..

davblay
05-09-07, 05:34 PM
Hey Marines, this isn't a political rally or election this is a terrible loss of live and property! Lets stay on topic, shall we? Be Marine Adults, ok? No one wants to read the political garbage! Please put your political thoughts aside and keep it on the subject, will ya? This thread don't require LEFT or RIGHT! No need for any ****ing matches!

USMCmailman
05-09-07, 06:04 PM
HOLM:
You are exactly correct! These same guys do this **** all the time. That tornado was horrible! There are still things in nature that are more terrifying than people with towels on their heads. No one can beat old Mother Nature!

OLE SARG
05-10-07, 08:56 AM
Again, so-called governor silly***** is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!! She needs to go kiss an illegal alien's arse!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

greensideout
05-10-07, 06:48 PM
Yes absolutely... Greensideout. This just seems like the wrong place to carry on with that anti war stuff... They have all they need to get the rebuilding efforts underway in Greensburg. The Governer is playing the political card and that is BS... She has already said that she got all the Federal assistance she requested.

I might drive out this weekend to see If I can be of some help..

I think it is very uncalled for and very tasteless to start anti war nonsense in this thread, or on this topic for that matter..

HOLM, I understand where you are coming from but, if you knew me or have read most of my posts and threads you would not refer to me as a "lefty".
In fact, I think that I'm a little "right" of you. ;)

HOLM
05-10-07, 07:30 PM
Damnit... I don't care whether you are left, right or upside down...

This thread about this subject is no frign place for anti war BS.

I have a couple of friends in the National Gaurd in Topeka.. They have lots of toys and men.. and NONE of them have received orders to help..

Knock it off already... (that was a Preemptive strike)

greensideout
05-10-07, 08:07 PM
You didn't read, did you?

HOLM
05-10-07, 08:13 PM
The Guard IS short of "tools" here in the states. Not much equipment to help out when disaster hits. Just one more thing broken by the current war.

This was your first post in the thread... Give it a rest...

greensideout
05-10-07, 08:27 PM
You talking to me Holm?

And this was my second---lol.

Life is too short to get wraped around the axle!

HOLM
05-10-07, 08:31 PM
I am sure the folks in Greensburg will fully appreciate your efforts to use them as another reason to bash the War.

greensideout
05-10-07, 08:51 PM
I am sure the folks in Greensburg will fully appreciate your efforts to use them as another reason to bash the War.

I lost an Aunt and niece in the '57 tornado in Hickman Mills, MO---I used a flashlight to wake my uncle during his nightmares as he sleep in my room. Don't tell me what it is like to face a tornado and the loss that it brings! Listen up, I said that the NG was short of equipment and YOU turned it into an anti war statement. You are so full of crap!
Get your butt and equipment out to Greensburg as you say.

10thzodiac
05-10-07, 09:22 PM
GSO,

I figure this HOLM to be about in his mid to late twenties, that is, if he is who he says he is (Mr. No DD-214)

I always said, I wish I knew in my twenties what I know now. I don't expect younger guys to understand, unless they could a see difference in naivety when they were seventeen if they are ten years or older now. For each ten years that I look back I can see mine.

For my detractors call me what you may, but when I was your age 22 +, I was not a naive kid looking for a bullet anymore or wasting my time on the Internet, I was busting my ass becoming financially independent. Retired at 53 and gave my corporation to my son. My advertising bill alone a year was $60,000.

If people want to look for a bullets for a profession, God bless them.

My five years 6 medals was enough for me.

HOLM
05-10-07, 10:09 PM
I am 27. I own a remodeling company that does well (the Holm Remodeling Co.). I also run a chrismas lighting installation bussiness during the christmas season that current is able to pay my "needs" for the entire year..

The rest of the year is just money in the bank..

It (the money) sure is not the most important thing in my life..

yellowwing
05-10-07, 10:23 PM
There are some superstar Marines that go on to be astronauts, Senators and Captains of Industry. But there are millions of us that take our Second To None attitude and make a good life for our family. Yeah, the money is good but doing it with Honor and Dignity is our character. Semper Fi

FistFu68
05-11-07, 06:21 AM
:evilgrin: WELL GOD-BLESS THOSE PEOPLE OF KANSAS,MOST LOST EVERYTHING THEY HAD,THING'S THAT MONEY CANNOT BUY.:evilgrin:

Quinbo
05-11-07, 09:07 AM
:evilgrin: WELL GOD-BLESS THOSE PEOPLE OF KANSAS,MOST LOST EVERYTHING THEY HAD,THING'S THAT MONEY CANNOT BUY.:evilgrin:

:thumbup:

JinxJr
05-11-07, 09:34 AM
It's pretty amazing that, considering the devastation, so few fatalities. Kansas/Kansans will get Greenburg back on the map in good shape.

jetdawgg
05-11-07, 12:40 PM
4 Soldiers, Reserve Cop Arrested on Suspicion of Looting From Store in Tornado-Ravaged Town <br />
<br />
<br />
Four soldiers and a reserve police officer were arrested Sunday on suspicion of looting cigarettes...

hrscowboy
05-11-07, 02:33 PM
yelp no santa clause and christmas for those folks wont be rebuilt by then..

Mr Snuggle Bunn
05-11-07, 02:39 PM

Marines got connections...

http://www.centralcoastclaims.org/photos_0104/marines_santa.jpg

JinxJr
05-11-07, 02:49 PM
Oh, it'll take time. I have a TFT account that might just have a little something extra by then. There are some Toys for Tots Coordinators (in Kansas) that have leftovers. That won't help homes reappear but anything that helps is a good thing.

hrscowboy
05-11-07, 03:23 PM
Ah hello You sir will be down at the border teachin them new boots about Marine barracks and fenceline guard detail..

OLE SARG
05-11-07, 05:28 PM
ANYONE caught LOOTING in Greensburg should be HUNG from the nearest large tree!!!!!! Talk about scum of the Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Ed Palmer
05-11-07, 05:49 PM
ANYONE caught LOOTING in Greensburg should be HUNG from the nearest large tree!!!!!! Talk about scum of the Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Ed
Look at the picture again there aint no friggin trees
so just shoot the SOB,s

OLE SARG
05-11-07, 06:11 PM
Good idea Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

HOLM
05-12-07, 11:05 AM
I have the end of next week free.. Does anyone know who to contact to be able to go lend a hand in Greensburg.

yellowwing
05-12-07, 02:15 PM
I have the end of next week free.. Does anyone know who to contact to be able to go lend a hand in Greensburg.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- (http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/13305564/detail.html)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Kansas Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster have compiled a list of organizations that are accepting donations on behalf of the Greensburg tornado victims.

The most effective way people can assist in the tornado relief efforts is through monetary donations to the humanitarian organizations providing disaster relief services in the affected area. Anyone wishing to help may contact one of the following organizations directly.

City of Greensburg Authorized Monetary Funds

Greensburg Rebuilding Fund
Greensburg State Bank, 620-723-2131

Big Well Rebuilding Fund
City of Greensburg
239 S. Main St.
Greensburg, KS 67054

South Central Community Foundation/ Friends of Education Send to: Friends of Education (must be marked Friends of Education to go to schools)
South Central Community Foundation
Peoples Bank
P.O. Box 8624
Pratt, KS 67124

Monetary Donations

South Central Community Foundation (local foundation raising money for rebuilding)
Phone: 620-672-7929
Mail to: Greensburg Future Fund
South Central Community Foundation
PO Box 8624
Pratt, KS 67124

Red Cross Phone:1-800-RED-CROS (733-2767)
Mail to: Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter
PO Box 3726, Wichita, KS 67201
Specify check for: Kansas tornadoes
Online:www.redcross.org

Salvation Army Phone:1-800-SAL ARMY (725-2769)
Mail to: 3637 Broadway
Kansas City, MO 64111
Make check out to: Salvation Army
Online:www.armykettle.org

United Way Mail to: Green for Greensburg Fund
United Way of the Plains
245 N Water
Wichita, KS 67202
Make check out to: Green for Greensburg Fund
Online: www.unitedwayplains.org/disasters/greensburgtornado.htm

Catholic Charities Phone: (800) 919-9338
Mail to: Catholic Social Service
906 Central Avenue, Dodge City, KS 67801
Specify check for: Tornadoes
Online: www.catholiccharitiesusa.org

United Methodist Kansas Area Disaster Fund Mail to: Kansas West Conference
9440 E. Boston St, Suite 110
Wichita, KS 66207
Make check out to: Kansas West Conference, Write “Area Disaster Fund” on memo
line Online:www.kswestumc.org

Mennonite Disaster Service Mail to: MDS Binational Office
1018 Main St
Akron, PA 17501
Make check out to: Mennonite Disaster Service
Online:www.mds.mennonite.net

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee Phone:1-800-55-CRWRC (552-7972)
Mail to: CRWRC
2850 Kalamazoo Ave
SE Grand Rapids, MI 49560
Make check out to: CRWRC, Write “Spring Storms 2007” on memo line
Online:www.crwrc.org

Item Donations

Kansas Food Bank Phone:316-265-FOOD (3663)
1919 E Douglas, Wichita
Default location for all donations (not just food). The Food Bank will sort donations and deliver them to all distribution centers near Greensburg.

Items currently needed: Gallon size cans of food, snack foods, rakes, shovels, tarps, work gloves, sunscreen

Goodwill Industries Donations of clothing and household items can be brought to your nearest Goodwill store.

Volunteers
Persons unaffiliated with any organization that want to volunteer should call the United Way 211 system at 1-888-413-4327.

HOLM
05-12-07, 04:42 PM
Outstanding... Thanks..

The trouble we ran into with helping folks that were affected by the Wyandotte country twister was the Government though..

In efforts to stop looters they made no effort to make sure that those that wanted to help actually could.. It was a mess.. One big government group trying to show off to all the other agencies, and nothing really got done at the rate which was possible.

I am looking for a grassroots type effort to bypass these types of folks..

rsta
05-13-07, 07:42 AM
Holm, you might contact Larry Melson in Pratt, I believe he is in the Patriot Guard, and quite possibly could help steer you in the right direction.