PDA

View Full Version : Marine legacy brings mayor, judge together

thedrifter
05-08-07, 05:39 AM
Marine legacy brings mayor, judge together
Pradel's friend to do honors at swearing-in ceremony

May 8, 2007
By KATE R. HOULIHAN Staff Writer

Naperville Mayor George Pradel and U.S. magistrate Judge Arlander Keys see each other Nov. 10 every year at a gathering for U.S. Marines in Chicago.

Except this year. The old friends will be together first on May 15 when Keys swears Pradel, 69, into his fourth term as mayor.

Pradel on Wednesday invited Keys to the ceremony, and Keys says he couldn't be happier to attend.

"He's always smiling," Keys, 63, said. "I've never seen George frown. He's always smiling. He really loves his city, there's no question about that. It comes out in all the conversations I have with him."

Their first conversation took place sometime around 1997 or 1998. Each year on Nov. 10 about 60 current and former Marines gather at the Union League Club of Chicago for a get-together event.

It was at that time and in that place the two leaders discovered a common bond.

In the crowded room of generals and colonels, reaching all the way from people who served in World War II to the present day, Pradel and Keys were the only two enlisted men.

It was enough to get the two talking.

"We kind of hit it off right away," Pradel said. "We became good friends. I asked him, 'Excuse me, what do you do?'"

Keys' answer impressed Pradel to no end. For the past 12 years Keys has served as a U.S. magistrate judge of the U.S. district court for northern Illinois.

But Pradel's job, in addition to his personality, ranks just as high with Keys.

"He's one of the greatest persons I know," Keys said. "He's so down to earth to be in the position he's in. He's one of my heroes."

Keys said his secretary took down the message that Pradel had called asking whether the judge would do him the honor of swearing him in.

"My first impression was no, the honor would be mine," Keys said. "It's an honor that he would want me to do that honor."

Pradel can't help but feel a little overwhelmed.

"I feel that for him rising to the federal level he's so humble," Pradel said. "(He's) been telling people (about the ceremony) like it was a big deal - I mean, here's someone who is a federal judge."

While Keys has sworn in lots of dignitaries, this will be his first time doing so for a mayor. He's not sure how much time he'll spend in Naperville, but one thing is for sure - he won't be late.

"I told him I would be on time because Marines, we're a stickler on time," Keys said.

Both say that the Marine bond is lifelong and strong - unbreakable, in fact. It's just automatic the two will be connected.

Even though they don't have much extra time to get together, they know a friendly voice is a mere phone call away.

"I see him physically once a year but I always feel like we can pick up the phone and call one another," Keys said. "I feel like we're friends. We are friends, but it's something we don't do everyday. He's just an all-around good guy. I don't think of mayors of major cities being as hands-on as he is."
The gathering
At 5:30 p.m. May 15 Pradel will take the oath of office in council chambers. He is the 47th individual mayor in the city's history, according to Naper Settlement records. Incumbent council members Darlene Senger and Richard Furstenau also will be sworn in, as well as newcomer Bob Fieseler. Incumbent Grant Wehrli will be out of town and sworn in at a different time. Business as usual will follow the ceremony, thanks to the evening's scheduled City Council meeting.

"It's going to be a quick inauguration," Pradel said. "We'll enjoy it, though. But work has to get done."

Contact Kate Houlihan at khoulihan@scn1.com or 630-416-5224.

Ellie