PDA

View Full Version : Grocery trip wins vet’s family $350k

thedrifter
05-07-07, 07:11 PM
Grocery trip wins vet’s family $350k
By Karen Jowers - Staff writer
Posted : Monday May 7, 2007 17:23:13 EDT

Shara Sohn doesn’t remember what she bought for $12.12 at the grocery store on that fateful day in November, she said. All she can recall is that it was “a little something … that we realized we didn’t have, that we needed.”

It’s a good thing they did.

Her use of her USAA Debit Rewards Card for that purchase automatically entered her into a contest that won the family $350,000 earlier this year in MasterCard’s 2006 A Home for the Holidays Sweepstakes.

It came at a good time. Her husband, David, left the Army in September as a chief warrant officer 2, after seven years of service, and they have a baby daughter, Sophia. “We had just bought our house here,” near Fort Campbell, Ky., she said, and her husband has been working on his master’s degree in geosciences at Murray State University.

“We plan to pay off our mortgage and invest the rest of it,” she said. “I make pretty good money, and this is kind of a nest egg.”

Sohn didn’t believe it at first when she received a FedEx letter notifying her she’d won the money. She called the phone number on the letter, and still wasn’t convinced. “I went to get my husband in the wood shop in the back, and said I may have just won $350,000. He said, ‘No, you didn’t.’ ”

“It really sunk in when we got the check. It was on my birthday, March 16,” she said. “It still boggled my mind just realizing how many people and how many entries there were.”

Ellie