PDA

View Full Version : Retired Marine preaches, says killing terrorists is an ‘act of love for our nation’

thedrifter
05-07-07, 10:15 AM
Retired Marine preaches, says killing terrorists is an ‘act of love for our nation’

By Laura Followell
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE— According to retired U.S. Marine Col. J. Tyler Ryberg, the Bible contains messages about war and capital punishment. God is a powerful soldier.

Ryberg, who served in the Marines for more than 27 years, gave a sermon Sunday morning at Good Shepherd Baptist Church’s Armed Forces Day, where some of the 150 people in attendance often erupted with an “Amen!”

The colonel asked churchgoers if the global war on terrorism was a “just war” and a “God-ordained war,” which he later affirmed.

“We’re killing Islamic jihadists, bloodthirsty killers,” he said.

“Peace is not an option. You don’t negotiate with bloodthirsty, jihadist killers.”

While he was in the Marines, Ryberg said, he was often asked, “If you’re a Christian, why do you want to go to war to kill people?” Ryberg said he wants Americans to understand that it’s an act of love to kill evil people who seek to kill Americans.

“If we do take their life, they will kill no more. It’s an act of love for our nation,” Ryberg said.

He explained the importance of government and said that without government, chaos would ensue.

“We are all sinful creatures with a sin nature,” he proclaimed. “Sinful mankind left unrestrained will cause chaos.”

Ryberg justified capital punishment and said it’s in the Bible.

God ordains the principle of taking life as an instrument of his justice, he added.

“God gaveth long before our nation was born. It’s always been on the books. And [the Bible] is the highest law of the land,” Ryberg said. “And I want to let you know our Supreme Court, they’re not supreme, only God is. And [the Bible] is the supreme law of the land, and the buck stops here.”

The sound of shuffling Bible pages reverberated across the pews as Ryberg asked worshippers to note specific passages.

Ryberg often referenced passages that he interpreted as relating to war and its justification.

He said that only God gives life and only God takes life, but said God gave Noah the right to take the life of an evil man who sheds innocent blood.

Ryberg said that Abraham fought the first biblical war in the word of God. He said God told Abraham to go to war with his “well-trained” servants, his army. Ryberg said God won that war by coming down and killing his enemies.

“There’s none other; there’s none higher; there’s none greater than our God,” Ryberg said.

“The only day we will have perfect peace is the day Jesus Christ comes back. … Our Lord’s coming back, folks,” he said.

Jerry Gibbons, who served in the Army for eight years, wanted to hear the colonel speak.

“I’m very impressed to see someone who has served that long on active duty and still have that much faith in God, our country and government,” Gibbons said.

Marcella Weaver said the sermon seemed to the point. To her, it justified war.

“God says that we are to help those being attacked by the bloodthirsty,” she said, “and it’s an act of love.”

Laura Followell can be reached at (812) 231-4253 or laura.followell@tribstar.com.

Ellie

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 03:16 PM
“We are all sinful creatures with a sin nature,” he proclaimed. “Sinful mankind left unrestrained will cause chaos.”
And thus the reason for God's mercy and love...not bombs and guns, pastor Colonel.

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 03:32 PM
Another double-post, oops.

Arty0811
05-07-07, 03:51 PM
Strawberry, based on your posts, one wonders if you're in the correct branch of service.

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 03:55 PM
Strawberry, based on your posts, one wonders if you're in the correct branch of service.
I get that a lot. But if my main goal in life is to help people, might as well join the service that needs the most help. We're the best of the best, and that appealed to me, pushing my physical limits and whatnot.

But, at the same time, there's a lot of stuff that's wrong. People know that we expect nothing, so they give us nothing. They know we expect to be treated like ****, so they treat us like ****. That's what I want to fix.

Because of my gender, I will never be on the front lines, but that doesn't mean I can't do something to help out.

And if I could go back in time, I'd do the same thing over again. I don't believe I've made a mistake. I'm a hard worker, I can command people of higher rank to do things because they respect me (I don't play the "girl" card, if that's what you're thinking...ugh, you should HEAR me talk sometimes...it's not pretty or sexy), 1st Class PFT, never been in trouble. Despite some of the things I don't like, I'm haven't just given up and said "**** the Corps."

OLE SARG
05-08-07, 09:24 AM
Somebody take her soapbox away!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

semperfi170
05-08-07, 10:21 AM
Somebody take her soapbox away!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Why do that? If she wants to stand on her soapbox and blow bubbles, let her! As long as her actions and words do not dishonor the Marine Corps, it is her right. BTW: It would be interesting to see what her seniors really think/say about her.:banana:

bootlace15
05-08-07, 12:36 PM
I still want her to face the camera so I can see her mustache........

bootlace15 out

FistFu68
05-08-07, 02:44 PM
:evilgrin: "War is an ugly thing,but not the ugliest of thing's.A Man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,nothing he care's about more than his personal safety;is a Miserable Creature who has no choice of being Free,unless made and kept so by the exertion of better Men than himself.":evilgrin:

yellowwing
05-08-07, 03:16 PM
Ryberg said that Abraham fought the first biblical war in the word of God. He said God told Abraham to go to war with his “well-trained” servants, his army. Ryberg said God won that war by coming down and killing his enemies.
Aye that's the rub! Abraham is a patriarch of islam also.

"The stepsons of Abraham come to claim their inheritance."

MacAngus
05-08-07, 03:56 PM
strawberry, I say the same you are entitled to say as you want here.
Things have changed alot in the corps even though i've only been out 2 years I think LCpls will complain about most things in the MARINES.
However if you want to help good on you. How about putting your wanting to
help in good use by helping vet's in your community they have alot of knowledge about getting things done.Also getting them done the right way

yellowwing
05-08-07, 03:59 PM
strawberry, I say the same you are entitled to say as you want here.
Things have changed alot in the corps even though i've only been out 2 years I think LCpls will complain about most things in the MARINES.
However if you want to help good on you. How about putting your wanting to
help in good use by helping vet's in your community they have alot of knowledge about getting things done.Also getting them done the right way
:thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-08-07, 06:16 PM
Interesting. Strawberry, if you think you 'won't be on the front lines', I beg to differ. When you deploy to the sandbox, you will, in one form or another, be 'on the front lines'. No matter where you are, it's the 'front line', since there really is no 'line', per se.

I didn't think the Pentagon was "the front lines" on 9/11....but it sure was.

A *itching LCpl is a happy LCpl, in my opinion. Dang, are you happy!