PDA

View Full Version : Making history, making changes

thedrifter
05-07-07, 07:43 AM
May 7, 2007 - 12:00AM
Making history, making changes

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
At 30 years old, Jason Keough has made history.

Keough was recently elected commander of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 16, making him the youngest in the history of the Jacksonville chapter - and the youngest commander in the state.

Keough says his election means the organization is looking to make a few changes. And he's ready for the challenge.

"The chapter voted for a change in hopes of trying to get younger veterans in here," Keough said.

Severely wounded in Iraq in March 2003, the Marine could no longer do his job with 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment. Keough served in the Marine Corps for almost three years - something he felt called to do after witnessing the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Keough was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade that severed his right foot in An Nasiriyah. And while being transported by an amphibious assault vehicle for medical treatment, he was wounded again.

"We got hit pretty hard - it took half of the vehicle off," he said. "As we were getting away, we were being attacked by Iraqis and also hit by friendly fire."

Keough, who has a wife and two children, was hit by shrapnel and lost consciousness. He would spend a year at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., and endure a number of surgeries. He was unable to walk for a year; and though he can now, he still battles daily pain.

"I'll never forget that my leg was hurt because it reminds me every minute," he said. "Eventually I will lose it; it's just a matter of when."

But despite the challenges Keough has had to overcome, he is ready to tackle those ahead. His experience is something he says helps him connect to young service members who are injured or disabled in the war.

"That's my biggest asset - that I know what they've gone through," Keough said. "I've worked with the (Veterans Administration) system and I know what works and what doesn't."

And reaching out to younger veterans is the DAV's biggest goal.

"We also want to change the preconceived notion that we're a social club because that couldn't be further from the truth," Keough said. "We are a service organization."

The organization acts as a liaison between other veterans groups, support services and veterans to meet specific needs connected to a disability. They regularly transport veterans to hospitals in Fayetteville and Durham.

The organization, like many in the area, is crying out for volunteers of all ages.

"The DAV's future relies on the younger generation," Keough said. "I think the DAV is an investment in the future because there is always going to be a veteran that needs our help."

Mike Fresia, DAV adjutant, said the organization did the right thing by electing Keough to accomplish that mission.

"This is a rich melding from our oldest World War II veteran to our current fight in Iraq," he said. "This is what we're trying to do. If young people don't join, we'll go away."

John Cooney, adjutant of Military Order of the Purple Heart Beirut Memorial Chapter 642, said his organization realizes that same thing.

"Over the last year we've probably recruited 100 new members - most of them from the Iraq war," he said. "We try to get them involved in all of our activities, which is hard because most are still on active duty, deployed or get out and go home."

American Legion Post 265 has also tried to reach out but has found it difficult, said commander Gerald Griffin. The average age of Legion members is around 65.

"We have got a few younger members, but they're not active," Griffin said. "We are trying to reach them when they're active because we need them. But most seem to be too tied up right now with their families and other things to get active."

Bert Ponsock, junior past commandant of Marine Corps League Detachment 262, said they have run into similar problems.

"We don't have many young members - most of them are not from here and think they can't join here, even though they can," he said. "All of us are going to die off some day, so it's important to reach out to them."

Contact Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, Ext. 8466.

Ellie