PDA

View Full Version : Fighting fund

jetdawgg
05-06-07, 06:33 PM
Peter Boyle
4 May 2007

This year’s proposed US spending on the Iraq war is larger than the military budgets of China and Russia combined. The combined spending requests would push the total for Iraq to US$564 billion, according to the non-partisan Congressional Research Service (CRS).

The Pentagon budget for the current fiscal year (2007) is about $456 billion. President George Bush’s proposed increase of 10% for next year will raise this figure to over half a trillion dollars, that is, $501.6 billion for fiscal year (FY) 2008.

A proposed supplemental appropriation to pay for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq “brings proposed military spending for FY 2008 to $647.2 billion, the highest level of military spending since the end of World War II", the CRS said.

Total proposed US military spending for 2008 is larger than military spending by all of the other nations in the world combined. It is:

•10 times the military budget of the second-largest military spending country in the world, China;

•larger than the combined gross domestic products of all 47 countries in sub-Saharan Africa;

•more than 30 times higher than all spending on State Department operations and non-military foreign aid combined;

•more than 120 times higher than the roughly $5 billion per year the US government spends on combatting global warming, and;

•represents 58 cents out of every dollar spent by the US government on discretionary programs: education, health, housing assistance, international affairs, natural resources and environment, justice, veterans’ benefits, science and space, transportation, training/employment and social services, economic development and several more items.

According to an April 27 article “Iraq war: a nice little earner” in Asia Times Online by Ismael Hossein-zadeh, an economics professor at Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa, said: “Although the official military budget already eats up the lion’s share of the public money (crowding out vital domestic needs), it nonetheless grossly understates the true magnitude of military spending. The real national defense budget, according to Robert Higgs of the Independent Institute, is nearly twice as much as the official budget.

“The reason for this understatement is that the official Department of Defense budget excludes not only the cost of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but also a number of other major cost items.”

That sort of money could go a long way to addressing so many of the world’s most urgent problems. But war is a very profitable business for some very big and powerful corporations such as Halliburton, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Vinnell and Blackwater. It has been argued that rather than profiteering from war, these corporations are making war for profit. Many of them would not exist as we know them without war.

Halliburton alone has already taken more than $13 billion from no-bid/no-audit US government contracts for providing everything from pizzas to security personnel in Iraq.

US Vice President and former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney currently holds 100,000 shares of unexercised stock options in Halliburton with a gross value of $3.2 million.

So the term “capitalist war-mongers” isn’t just a slogan — it’s a statement of an ugly reality.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2007/708/36771

OLE SARG
05-06-07, 09:38 PM
"So the term “capitalist war-mongers” isn’t just a slogan — it’s a statement of an ugly reality."

The above quote does not just apply to Republicans - the democrats have a few "capitalist war-mongers" in their mist too: dirty harry reid, ms jane fonda kerry, swimmer kennedy, dickhead durbin, bones pelosi, ms martha murtha, and quite a few more I am sure. "Ugly reality" paints a broad stroke!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

HOLM
05-06-07, 09:48 PM
Sarg... You missed the big one...

Feinstein (http://www.rockfeinstein.com/)

From anti war.com

But what we don't hear about is how Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein and her husband are also making tons of money off the "war on terror." The wishy-washy senator now claims Bush misled her prior to the invasion of Iraq. I don't think she's being honest with us, though. There may have been other reasons she helped sell Bush's lies. According to the Center for Public Integrity (http://www.publicintegrity.org/default.aspx), Feinstein's husband Richard Blum has racked in millions of dollars from Perini (http://www.publicintegrity.org/wow/bio.aspx?act=pro&ddlC=45), a civil infrastructure construction company, of which the billionaire investor wields a 75 percent voting share.
In April 2003, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers gave $500 million to Perini to provide services for Iraq's Central Command. A month earlier in March 2003, Perini was awarded $25 million to design and construct a facility to support the Afghan National Army near Kabul. And in March 2004, Perini was awarded a hefty contract worth up to $500 million for "electrical power distribution and transmission" in southern Iraq.
Feinstein, who sits on the Senate Appropriations Committee as well as the Select Committee on Intelligence, is reaping the benefits of her husband's investments. The Democratic royal family recently purchased a $16.5 million mansion (http://www.brickburner.blogs.com/Feinstein.jpg) in the flush Pacific Heights neighborhood of San Francisco. It's a disgusting display of war profiteering, and just like Cheney, the leading Democrat should be called out for her offense.

And that's exactly why the Bush administration is so darn bulletproof. The Democratic leadership in Washington is just as crooked and just as callous.

Or just look here...

Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein of California silently resigned from her post on the Military Construction Appropriations subcommittee (MILCON) late last week as her ethical limbo with war contracts began to surface in the media, including an excellent investigative report written by Peter Byrne for Metro in January. MILCON has supervised the appropriations of billions of dollars in reconstruction contracts since the Bush wars began.

Feinstein, who served as chairperson and ranking member for the committee from 2001-2005, came under fire early last year in these pages for profiting by way of her husband Richard Blum who, until 2005, held large stakes in two defense contracting companies. Both businesses, URS and Perini, have scored lucrative contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last four years, and Blum has personally pocketed tens of millions of dollars off the deals his wife, along with her colleagues, so graciously approved

I keep tryin' to tell these a-holes that is was their buddy Clinton that started this thing... But the hatred for Bush is a religion that is put above all else...

HOLM
05-06-07, 09:54 PM
US Vice President and former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney currently holds 100,000 shares of unexercised stock options in Halliburton with a gross value of $3.2 million.

Oh and please take some time and look this up...

Your pal George Soros has made more $$$$$$ off of Haliburton than Cheney has ever dreamed of...

The top three shareholders of Haliburton stock are left wing owned and operated companies...

Would you like the Companies names? Or are you smart enough to find them on your own"?

Sorry 10z has me a little ****ed right now...

But the latest move by globe trotting, hyper-liberal billionaire George Soros borders on being too much. According to papers filed with the SEC, in the fourth quarter of 2006 Soros purchased nearly 2 million (http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2007-02-14T233646Z_01_WAO000067_RTRIDST_0_SOROS-HOLDINGS-ADDITIONS-URGENT.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna) shares of ... hold your breath ... Halliburton. The Halliburton shares reportedly went for an average purchase price of $31.30 a share (http://www.gurufocus.com/news.php?id=4674). That puts Soros' total investment in Halliburton at around $62.6 million, or about 2 percent of his total portfolio

OLE SARG
05-06-07, 10:15 PM
Thanks HOLM, I did forget the biggest pig in the sty!!!! feinstein is making a "killing" off the war!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

marinegreen
05-06-07, 10:36 PM
Sarg & Holm, the truth of the matter is, theres alot of crooks running our country and alot of em are filling there pockets faster then they can open up swiss bank accounts. Heck all them politicians look at it like until I get caught I'm gonna screw em without a reach around or having to give em a kiss, besides if I get caught I'll just get my name slung in the mud awhile,have to give back a mil or 2 and serve maybe,maybe a yr to 18 mths but get out on good behavior and then its off to them white sandy beaches sipping on the margarittas. " ONLY IN AMERICA !" is a politicians motto: Look at the gull dam*ed pensions them pric** will get when they retire, its outrageous !

HOLM
05-06-07, 10:54 PM
Sure I understand that...

but don't expect me to sit here and listen to just how the Cow ate the cabbage from some "useful idiot" who can't see the he has bought right into the BS spewed by a bunch of power hungry idiots that have their pockets full of the cabbage...

Sgt Leprechaun
05-06-07, 11:21 PM
And the entire point of this twaddle would be...WHAT

HOLM
05-06-07, 11:35 PM
And the entire point of this twaddle would be...WHAT

I dunno... when I read that post of jets... It looked to me like he was upset that we here spending so much on defense.. Then the article went on to blame Cheney...

Really I mean.... Well you saw what I posted...

Without the other half of the truth, jets post would have been a outright lie.. I was just helping the devil dog out by keeping things honest..

DougRagan
05-07-07, 04:48 AM
Anyone who took the time to look up factcheck knows that the VP has no financial ties to Halliburton. His stock was put into a charitable trust before he took office. He gets nothing from it. The money he has received was part of a deferred payment that many CEO's use when they leave a company. It was set in stone long before he was elected. In order to prevent any need to help ensure that Halliburton could make those payments, Cheney actually purchased an insurance policy to guarantee the payments should Halliburton go bankrupt before payment was complete.

ivalis
05-07-07, 05:51 AM
I seriously doubt it was a "charitable" trust, me thinks it was a "blind" trust.

Doesn't really matter. Anybody with a pension/401K/403B/IRA/SEP plan is profiting from the war.

DougRagan
05-07-07, 06:27 AM
Actually, it is a trust that ensures the stock profits go to a charity. Factcheck has the story archived if you want to take a look at their site.

jetdawgg
05-07-07, 09:44 AM
Feinstein was kicked off the DOD committee. She owns a house worth 16.5MM. Her husband capitalized from the war effort.

Thsi article comes out of Australia.

OLE SARG
05-07-07, 10:32 AM
Don't make any difference where it came from, the article is TRUE!!!!! I think we can agree she and her husband are scum!!!

SEMPER FI,

HOLM
05-07-07, 11:30 AM
Yeah Jet... Her feeding at the trough was so bad that even the communist crowd finally had to over look their alligence to to Democrats and call her out on it...

That should really count for something.. Why do you think I mentioned that it was from a anti war site? HUH

You should see the stuff posted on right wing sites...

Between Fienstien and Soros the two have damn near pocketed more cash from this war than all of the right wingers combined...

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 05:20 PM
Everything else seems to have been said.

The first thing that popped into my head was, "Wasn't the Soviet Union spending 60-80% of its budget on the military when it fell?"

Knowing that some lucky contractors are making big bucks off the war, it seems like we should cut spending and find someone who can underbid them, or see if maybe there's a way we could do it ourselves, at least part of it? I don't know how feasible it is, it's just a thought. Regardless of how many deployments you have, the fact of the matter is the war will be over, you will be back home, and what kind of road repair and school systems will you come back to?

HOLM
05-07-07, 05:37 PM
Strawberry.. The whole purpose of the Federal Government when a good group of guys kicked this country off was to print money and defend the borders..

All the rest of that stuff is the states business.....

The lone founding father that was the exception to this was Jefferson who didn't believe in a standing army...

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 06:06 PM
Touche. Word. :nods:

DougRagan
05-07-07, 10:31 PM
According to what I have read, the Feinstein couple seem to be in violation of SEC regs regarding insider trading. I will have to do more research to confirm.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-08-07, 06:06 PM
Road repair (unless it's the interstate) and school systems are the provenence of the States. NOT the fed'l gummint. It's only the Feds issue if the states are dumb enough to invite them in.

The Feinstiens are crooks, just like all politicians. They've just been able to get away with it longer.