PDA

View Full Version : Combat Engineer and Motor-T what do you think?

USMCJohnson
05-06-07, 05:02 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about changing my MOS. So I was wondering what ya'll thought about Combat Engineer and Motor-T. Just what are you're general observations about them. Things that sucks and things that you thought were cool. I'm not asking which one I should pick just what you think about them. Thanks in advance.

killerinstinct
05-07-07, 08:27 AM
motor T is usually whackos always giving a hard time when ya check out a humvee.. Personally id choose combat engineer out of those two. you'll have better times close knit guys and on their down time are fun group to hang with.

jinelson
05-07-07, 08:47 AM
I got your whacko hangin Corporol. I spent 8 years as a 3531 and 3537 I would not want another MOS. The only thing that sucks about Motor T is you are a big green slow moving target of opprtunity to the enemy.

Jim

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 10:35 AM
I'm a combat engineer, and you will have a BLAST at MOS school. This MOS is the freakin' best one, in my opinion. We get in the action, and they give us explosives! If you're looking for high speed low drag, this is the MOS for you. We build stuff, fix stuff, blow stuff up, and detect mines.

The downfall is that 1371 is broken into two elements: engineer support and division. As a female, I could never be in division, so I'm stuck with my fellow 71's in an engineer support battalion. IT SUCKS. All the badass stuff you anticipated doing, you do NONE of it. It is the least motivating thing. This battalion demotivates moto Marines, it just sucks the life out of you. You lose sight of what you enlisted for, especially if you're stuck in a company like mine where there is no shop for 71's, but they keep sticking us into this company.
If you enjoy construction and explosives, like me, then be a combat engineer.
If you're worried about getting stuck in support, or if you're a female like me which means you will get stuck in support, then go for Motor T or check out EOD. EOD is the most kick ass, hard core MOS.
Knowledge is power. I had no idea that I couldn't be part of division. Here I was, thinking I was going to blow **** up for the grunts, and instead got stuck as the Training NCO for my company just because this company sucks (no, it's not because I'm female, there's no 71 job in this entire company).

ggyoung
05-07-07, 11:13 AM
Killer===============Motor T people I have known in Vietnam always had a big set of "BALLS". Maybe they had to be a little whacko to do the jobs they had to do. I drove the LZ Ross to LZ Baldy a lot in 1970. That buddy was a very bad place to be at that time. Why don't you look-up and read about the "Red Ball Exprease" durning WW2. Might change you out look on a few things.

USMCJohnson
05-07-07, 03:42 PM
Ok I've just been told I can't do Motor-T because I'm not tall enough. I know that only the 13 field would be a given so how do I make sure I would get the 71?

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 03:49 PM
You can't. A lot of utilities Marines that I've met signed up to be 71's.

Just make sure to say your prayers!

DevilDogHEMech
05-09-07, 02:07 AM
You won't be guaranteed the MOS of 1371 Combat Engineer, you will be guaranteed the MOS field of 1300, engineering. Read your contract. In this field, the major MOS's that you could get are 1371 (Combat Engineer), 1341 (Heavy Equipment Mechanic, my MOS), 1345 (Heavy Equipment Operator), or 1316 (Welder/Basic Metalworker). All are pretty good MOS's in my opinion.

jinelson
08-12-07, 01:10 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/DSC00659.jpg

Motor T All The Way Baby!

Covey_Rider
08-13-07, 06:03 AM
Jim you make me laugh...Talk to your recruiter about contracting specifically into the '71 field. They usually don't make it known but there are always strings to pull. I wanted to be a combat engineer and I pushed until they had me contracted for that specifically. You show them what you can do for the Corps and things will work in your favor. Don't worry to much about being stuck in a support battalion...I was in one here in Okinawa but I just got sent to be one of two combat engineers to work in Special Operations Training Group and I've been having loads of fun already. EOD is a great field also...but the only way to get it, is through a lat move after you spend some time in the Corps. Being a '71 will give you the basics before you move onto something like EOD. I've had a MSgt that's been EOD for well over 10 years, teaching me the trade for the past three weeks and there's alot to it. Dangerous but VERY VERY fun.

jinelson
08-13-07, 10:08 AM
Awh come on now Word Boy you know Motor T is the back bone of the Corps, besides getting all the chicks, the pride don't ride without us lmfao. When you deploy you will have a better understanding and thats a promise.

Semper Fi

Jim :D

Covey_Rider
08-13-07, 09:23 PM
Oh I ride with Motor T all the time right now...and they also take forever when I try and sign out a gov lol. I think as soon as you got out Motor T just lost it's charisma haha.