PDA

View Full Version : Reserves?

georgiapride
05-06-07, 02:22 PM
Hey yall! I had a question about goin in the Reserves and if anyone could help me out thad be great! Im graduating this year and im gonna start college at ole miss this fall. they have a NROTC there so im definately enrolling in that. i was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit more about the Reserves. is it sort of the same as being on active duty? i really want to become an Officer and thats the only reason im going to college and i dont wanna like take time away from school ya know? if anyone was or is in the USMC Reserves can u answer a couple of my questions? thanks so much!!

Zulu 36
05-06-07, 02:47 PM
Hey yall! I had a question about goin in the Reserves and if anyone could help me out thad be great! Im graduating this year and im gonna start college at ole miss this fall. they have a NROTC there so im definately enrolling in that. i was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit more about the Reserves. is it sort of the same as being on active duty? i really want to become an Officer and thats the only reason im going to college and i dont wanna like take time away from school ya know? if anyone was or is in the USMC Reserves can u answer a couple of my questions? thanks so much!!

My suggestion is this: Pick either the reserves or NROTC. Trying to do university and being in the reserves these days is a guarantee to loose school time to visit the sand box. Never mind boot camp, MCT, and MOS school. If you want to be a Marine officer and finish college too, you can do it through NROTC. Expect to spend summer school breaks doing military training for NROTC.

As far as the reserves being like active duty: Only during boot camp, MCT, and MOS school. Assuming your unit is not activated, you will generally drill one weekend per month and do a 15-day annual training gig, and not necessarily in the summer. There are exceptions to this, however.

Appearance and PT standards do not change either.

rvillac2
05-06-07, 06:26 PM
Focus on school and get into the PLC/NROTC.
Don't worry about the Reserves.

WestonDL
05-07-07, 10:03 AM

I am a Reservist attending K-State. I too have thought of the PLC program. In regards to becoming an officer, be 100% sure it is what you want to do. If you do the PLC to get more money towards college, it isn't really worth it. It puts way too much work on you with trying to do the reserves and college. I am having a hard enough time as is with work, school, and the reserves. Set your goals and go for it.

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 10:28 AM
A buddy of mine was in the reserves so he could be an officer. One thing you want to keep track of is your weight. After he got back from boot camp, he was trim, but as the time went on, he didn't really keep up with it until he was near graduation. Build yourself a good foundation of health and fitness while you're in the reserves.

killerinstinct
05-07-07, 11:20 AM
aye go to nrotc plus being in reserves always has a different feeling than being active.

georgiapride
05-07-07, 07:24 PM
thanks so much for all ur posts!!!!!! i decided to go in the Reserves and i cant wait to be the best Officer i can be!!!!! im gonna be goin to georgia state in the spring 08 term after i get back from all the training. im gonna be goin off to boot camp in june after i graduate so im pretty excited!

:flag: :iwo: CHRISTINE MORWAY----------remember the name!:marine:

WestonDL
05-07-07, 10:46 PM
Good luck to you.:thumbup:

sirmess1
06-05-07, 12:50 AM
Don't want time away from school? Don't join the Reserves, my reserve unit was sending all the boot marines that just check in to the SandBox. The Commandant has that Every Marine Fights policy. I had to leave school for 2 years.

Cash2053
06-05-07, 03:15 PM
I agree with your decision to join the reserves. I was in a reserve unit in Ga. and I was activated, but it didnt take away from school that much. You will do better in school because you have become a marine have the marine corps values in you. The unit I was in would work around school for reservist. You can do an on site AT in the summer for your two week training even if your unit is not going in the summer. Good luck.