PDA

View Full Version : Some Company B Marines Looking for Work

thedrifter
05-06-07, 09:06 AM
Some Company B Marines Looking for Work

Story Created: May 5, 2007
By WSBT News1

(WSBT) Engineer Company B Marines returned home to South Bend six weeks ago Saturday. Now, they're in the process of getting back to the lives they knew before war. Part of that adjustment means getting back into the work force.

The whole Company will be off active duty by the end of the month. That means most of the Marines are returning to their old jobs. Now local businesses are trying to help those still looking for work.

For Lance Corporal Jeff Kuhn, it's a brand new experience.

"It's kind of, you know, intimidating at first," he said.

Like his fellow Company B Marines, Kuhn's been through war, said goodbye to a friend and sacrificed a year away from loved ones. Now he's looking for a job.

"I'm just out of school, so, I mean, haven't had really too much experience finding a job or getting jobs," Kuhn said.

That's why he went to the military job fair Saturday at the Reserve Center in South Bend. From big corporations, like Wal-Mart, to local colleges and police departments, local businesses are trying to make sure our service men and women have jobs at the end of their active duty.

One of the job fair organizers, Jackie Hopper, said it was important to get the business community involved.

"The employers in the area are very close," she said. "I think being able to come out here and do this is showing our community's support for the men and women that have served for us."

But even for someone who served as a combat engineer, building for the Iraqi army, entering the work force for the first time is a little scary for Cpl. Kuhn. Right now he's considering a job as an electrician or a police officer.

Many Company B Marines took leave from their jobs to go overseas. Employers are legally required to hold those positions. Once they're done with active duty, the Marines legally have 90 days to send their employers a letter letting them know whether they plan on returning to work.

Ellie