PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather wins decision!

Osotogary
05-05-07, 11:48 PM
For those who are interested Roger Mayweather Jr decisioned Oscar de La Hoya just a few minutes ago (1205 am or so...0005).
I'm pizzed! Of coarse I wanted Oscar to win but I tried to keep an open mind while watching the boxing match. It seemed as though the announcers, Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant have a grudge against de la Hoya. Every blocked punch thrown by Mayweather was a direct power punch hit, every punch that de la Hoya thew, that landed solidly, lacked intensity. I have never heard such one way announcers in a long, long time. I think the first judges score of 16 to 14 de La Hoya was just about right. I knew that it would be close but dammmmm, closeness took a back set to a fight that others saw...even though it was the same fight ...that's boxing!
Adios from South Florida.
Gary

RLeon
05-06-07, 01:12 AM
Oscar didn't take enough initiative, he basically let Floyd win. Too many unanswered punches. Mayweather can't fight going backwards and when Oscar put the pressure on him Floyd couln't respond.
Not a spetacular fight in my opinion. Waste of PPV money. Didn't live up to the hype, and Mayweather didn't look spectacular. Shoot niether fighter even looked like they were even in a fight. Oh well.

Osotogary
05-06-07, 01:29 AM
It was always my understanding that the challenger had to take the belt away from the champion. Mayweather certainly didn't do this decisively if at all barely. I think Oscar threw twice as many punches.
Oscar didn't utilize his jab, which was working all through the fight, enough.
You made a very good assessment of the fight, RLeon. I'm glad that I saw it for free.
Adios

Jarheadtanker
05-06-07, 03:05 AM
I was at work and didn't get to see it. Seems like I didn't miss much. The general feeling conveyed by you two mirrors what my friends who saw the fight thought as well.