PDA

View Full Version : Question About Training

Parks
05-05-07, 10:57 PM
Assuming (yes, I know I shouldn't assume) that I would finished PI in 13 weeks, and given that I won't be an Infantry MOS, can anyone give me an approx. timeline from MEPS to finishing my MOS school? As in, four months? Twelve?

Many thanks for your help.

FireDawg7051
05-05-07, 11:19 PM
You SHOULD get a guarentee on a feild that you will be put in such as aviation or infantry so on and so forth but you wont be guarenteed a job until at the end of MCT unless your a reservist then you get your job at the end of bootcamp. Dont think your goin to get the job you want.. Very few ppl get it. I happen to be one of the lucky ones that had a good recruiter that listened to him.. Good luck on your job

rvillac2
05-05-07, 11:32 PM
Jeesh,
is this another guy trying to figure out how long he'll be away from his girlfriend?
Echo4B, better set him straight. He's from your neck of the woods.

Parks
05-05-07, 11:47 PM
Jeesh,
is this another guy trying to figure out how long he'll be away from his girlfriend?

If only you could see my eyebrow raise.

I am not a guy, and I most diffinitely do not have a girlfriend, thank you very much, sir.

There are people in this world who like to plan ahead.

davblay
05-06-07, 12:51 AM
If you are entering DEP in October, or when ever, it would be impossible to give you a time line as to when you will finish training! You have to consider your ship date, your graduation date, your first day of school, school availability, etc, etc.! If I said a year or a month, it wouldn't matter. You could be set back in Boot Camp, get sick, fail to qualify with the rifle, or any numerous other reasons. I realize that this is important to you, but no one can say how long it will take! Some MOS's, school alone, is more than a year long! That's just for the training! So to answer, or not, your question----Who knows?

Good Luck and make us proud of you in the 4th BN at PI! :evilgrin:

davblay
05-06-07, 01:41 AM
Talk to your recruiter, he has a book that he/she can look at that tells how long the mos training will be. It shows each program and job, how many weeks it is.

Thanks Motorola!! ;)

Marine84
05-06-07, 07:02 AM
Jeesh,

HAHAHA! Her boyfriend rv.The first thing I thought of was "ooooooooh ANOTHER planner".

Sorry sweetie, nobody can tell you that. There are too many "it depends on ____________" in there. You might rock out at school - whole bunch of things.

davblay
05-06-07, 11:40 AM
Jeesh,
Remember these Marines----rvillac?
http://members.tripod.com/%7Evet5/divider.gif
http://members.tripod.com/%7Evet5/womenincorp.gif http://members.tripod.com/%7Evet5/sgtgilliam2a.gif

WHAT SAY YOU, KIM? Ooo-Rah!!!!

Marine84
05-06-07, 05:53 PM
You tell me................................

rvillac2
05-06-07, 06:18 PM
LOL...I look at Kim's angelic face and then I can search all her posts and see the naughtiness!!!

Sorry for the confusion Parks. So, are you trying to calculate how long you'll be away from the boyfriend?

Don't worry. You'll be issued a new one at every duty station.

Parks
05-06-07, 08:14 PM
No boyfriend at this time sir. ^^

I'm actually trying to decide which route I want to take in the Corps.

Active for four years, then college.
Reserves and just postpone college for that year or so I'd be training.
or See if IIADT would work better for me.

davblay
05-06-07, 08:16 PM
You tell me................................

Much better KIM! :beer: :beer: :beer:

rvillac2
05-07-07, 12:46 AM
OK, Parks, we'll stop teasing you.

If you don't want to miss out on your first year of college, you can opt for the 92day Reserve program. That program will let you go to boot camp, return home for college (while serving 1 weekend/month) and then return to active duty during the next summer (between fresh and soph) in order for you to continue MCT and MOS schools. After completing your MOS school, you'll return to Active Reserve duty (1weekend/month + 2 weeks/year).
The only drawback to this program is that your MOS selection is more limited. You can only choose from those MOS's that fit within your summer training window. Some of the higher technical fields have longer classes.

This option gets you started in college full time immediately. However, the Reserve deployment tempo is higher than ever these days. Reservists have far greater chances of being involuntary activated for duty than ever before. When this happens, your college career is suspended indefinitely.

It really comes down to this: Do you want to spend your younger years in the Corps serving your country? Or do you want to get a head start on your education and career by finishing college immediately after high school.

Hope this helps.

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 10:39 AM
Unless you know your MOS, you will not know how long before you hit the Fleet. It's 13 weeks of boot camp, 10 days leave, 3 weeks MCT, then off to your MOS school for however long that takes PLUS the time it takes you to start the class. Our class didn't start until about a month after we all got there, and it's a 7 week MOS school (combat enginer). The MOS schools vary so much, from 2 weeks (supply) to around a year (drafting/surveying).

Parks
05-07-07, 04:43 PM
Bah, teasings fine. It'll give me tougher skin for PI. :)

If I chose to go for the "92 Reserve" route, would my MOS be limited by which Corps Reserve unit is closest to my college? (i.e. I want to go to school in Michigan, but there aren't any mechanical units in MI, would I have to change my MOS?)

It really comes down to this: Do you want to spend your younger years in the Corps serving your country? Or do you want to get a head start on your education and career by finishing college immediately after high school.

Both sir. ^^ I need more lives.

The MOS schools vary so much, from 2 weeks (supply) to around a year (drafting/surveying).

I don't suppose there's a list of MOSs with length of training anywhere around here, is there?

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 04:46 PM
There was a list of MOS and their schooling in my recruiter's office.

Parks
05-07-07, 04:50 PM
There was a list of MOS and their schooling in my recruiter's office.

Ah, but I wouldn't have to walk across town and bother my Recruiter if there was one online. Plus, I can reference it whenever I have the need.

;)

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 04:54 PM
Gives you face time :)

Parks
05-07-07, 05:09 PM
You Marines and your witty comments...

Zulu 36
05-07-07, 08:16 PM
Bah, teasings fine. It'll give me tougher skin for PI. :)

If I chose to go for the "92 Reserve" route, would my MOS be limited by which Corps Reserve unit is closest to my college? (i.e. I want to go to school in Michigan, but there aren't any mechanical units in MI, would I have to change my MOS?)

Two questions:

Where in Michigan to you plan to go for school?

You want mechanical units. What are you thinking of for an MOS?

Marine84
05-07-07, 09:27 PM
So, are you trying to calculate how long you'll be away from the boyfriend?

Don't worry. You'll be issued a new one at every duty station.

I know THAT'S right! Sometimes more than you can keep track of - you have to limit yourself but change out regularly ;) there will be PLENTY to go around!

Parks
05-08-07, 04:23 PM
Two questions:

Where in Michigan to you plan to go for school?

You want mechanical units. What are you thinking of for an MOS?

That was 75% theoretical...but I'd like to go to either Western Michigan or Wayne State, so Kalamazoo or Detroit.

And as for mechanics, that was mainly just theoretical, though I am slightly interested in that subject.

Zulu 36
05-08-07, 04:54 PM
That was 75% theoretical...but I'd like to go to either Western Michigan or Wayne State, so Kalamazoo or Detroit.

And as for mechanics, that was mainly just theoretical, though I am slightly interested in that subject.
Pay no attention to M84. She's funny that way about guys. :D

Out of further curiosity, why schools in Michigan? I'm from Detroit originally, so I know well where Wayne State is. I've been in and out of K-Zoo a few times and saw the WMU campus in passing.

I see from your profile that you live in Stillwater, OK, so you wouldn't be coming to Michigan to see snow for the first time (I live in Florida now and many HS kids my daughter knows have never seen real snow).

K-Zoo is nearly twice the size of your town and Detroit much bigger still. Plus Detroit is filthy, dirty, crime ridden, and has more criminals per square mile than anyplace I know. Wayne State is in the middle of all of that. While the Wayne State area is heavily policed by it's own PD and the Detroit PD, the area still sucks. I wouldn't let my daughter go there.

I was a cop in a next door suburb of Detroit and I know of what I speak.

Parks
05-08-07, 06:55 PM
Pay no attention to M84. She's funny that way about guys. :D

Out of further curiosity, why schools in Michigan? I'm from Detroit originally, so I know well where Wayne State is. I've been in and out of K-Zoo a few times and saw the WMU campus in passing.

I see from your profile that you live in Stillwater, OK, so you wouldn't be coming to Michigan to see snow for the first time (I live in Florida now and many HS kids my daughter knows have never seen real snow).

K-Zoo is nearly twice the size of your town and Detroit much bigger still. Plus Detroit is filthy, dirty, crime ridden, and has more criminals per square mile than anyplace I know. Wayne State is in the middle of all of that. While the Wayne State area is heavily policed by it's own PD and the Detroit PD, the area still sucks. I wouldn't let my daughter go there.

I was a cop in a next door suburb of Detroit and I know of what I speak.
No worries. :)

Actually, I've lived in Fort Worth, Texas all my life. I just moved to OK about three months ago for the end of my Junior and Senior year. I'm a huge hockey fan and Michigan is a hockey hotbed, so that's a big reason why I want to go to school there. I visited K-Zoo and while I wasn't thrilled by the natural beauty of the area, I liked it fairly well all the same. I haven't been to Detroit yet, but I like the idea and Wayne State is a good school. (My grades are not all that great so being able to attend a good school is a big plus.)

Still, I've got my heart set on somewhere in Michigan, Montana, or my dream school is Texas A&M.

Zulu 36
05-08-07, 08:49 PM
Texas A&M is good if you can get it. I just hate to see a nice gal like you in a snake pit like Detroit.

I agree about hockey in Michigan! Go Red Wings!! I grew up on Red Wing hockey. Lack of hockey on TV is my biggest gripe living in Florida (I can't afford Dish TV and their NHL package).

My oldest daughter went to UMich and she went to every home hockey game there. One of her 2d cousins, Al Montoya, was the kickass starting goalie for UMich then. He's playing farm team hockey in the NY Ranger's system right now.

Parks
05-08-07, 09:20 PM
Texas A&M is good if you can get it. I just hate to see a nice gal like you in a snake pit like Detroit.

I agree about hockey in Michigan! Go Red Wings!! I grew up on Red Wing hockey. Lack of hockey on TV is my biggest gripe living in Florida (I can't afford Dish TV and their NHL package).

My oldest daughter went to UMich and she went to every home hockey game there. One of her 2d cousins, Al Montoya, was the kickass starting goalie for UMich then. He's playing farm team hockey in the NY Ranger's system right now.

I'd love to go to A&M, but my GPA and class ranking aren't nearly high enough . And there must be worse places than Detroit...

I'm a hockey fan first, but a Stars fan second. lol. It doesn't help the Wings just booted Billy Guerin out of the playoffs. Lack of hockey on tv in Florida? You've got two teams down there! (Granted, I don't know if the Panthers count as an NHL team anymore...)

*iz ded* Your related to Montoya?!? I've watched him since his freshman year! He's possibly even crazier with puckhandling than Turco, if that is even possible.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-08-07, 09:33 PM
Ah, but I wouldn't have to walk across town and bother my Recruiter if there was one online. Plus, I can reference it whenever I have the need. ;)

Walk across town to see the recruiter? I don't know where they are since they moved out of the building north of OSU, but they can't be so isolated that the recruiter couldn't pick you up if you needed to be at the office. And, if that fails I am sure you could find someone to give you a ride. Stillwater isn't exactly an anti-military place. We had a Payne County GOP meeting tonight and there was someone just back from a year tour in Iraq and he got a standing ovation. I can promise you that anyone in that room would be happy to help you get to the recruiter any time you needed or wanted.

Now, you can do the 92 day reserve program. It will not be limited to what MOS is close to your school. But, it will be limited to jobs that have an MOS school short enough to get you through training in your second enlistment. From what you said in an earlier thread, I don't think that will impact what you're able to do. But, 92 day reserve or not, you will have to be able to be at the unit on Friday evening- so it may make Friday classes difficult if you have a long drive to drill. I drilled at TOW Co. in Broken Arrow for a while after I got off of active duty, and the short drive there sometimes was a problem.

Zulu 36
05-08-07, 09:37 PM
Well, I'm not related to him. My ex-wife is. So Al ends up being my kids' 2d cousin somehow or another. I don't know how all those Cuban family connections interrelate.

My oldest told me Al was considered "dreamy" by the ladies at UMich. Even she thought so. They hooked up a couple of times for lunch and such. Made her housemates jealous. :angel:

I met him a couple of times before he went to college, when visiting friends and family in Chicago. Nice kid. Hope he makes the NHL soon.

Parks
05-08-07, 10:47 PM
Walk across town to see the recruiter? I don't know where they are since they moved out of the building north of OSU, but they can't be so isolated that the recruiter couldn't pick you up if you needed to be at the office. And, if that fails I am sure you could find someone to give you a ride. Stillwater isn't exactly an anti-military place. We had a Payne County GOP meeting tonight and there was someone just back from a year tour in Iraq and he got a standing ovation. I can promise you that anyone in that room would be happy to help you get to the recruiter any time you needed or wanted.

The Army and the USMC offices are on the Strip, but I've never known them to be anywhere else. I do know the Air Force and Navy seem to come from the same area 'cross from Mexico Joes. (They move in pairs, I swear. Never see one of them alone...) But "across town" was a bit of an exaggeration. I live just west of OSU, so it's not a hour to walk over there or anything. Still, I do feel bad bothering Gelo when I can't even enlist for six months, man's so busy every time I'm there with actual Poolees.

I'm sure I'll be able to find some MOS that fits the restriction and interests me. Thanks for the help on this by the way, finding info for the 92 day program is like pulling teeth.

Well, I'm not related to him. My ex-wife is. So Al ends up being my kids' 2d cousin somehow or another. I don't know how all those Cuban family connections interrelate.

My oldest told me Al was considered "dreamy" by the ladies at UMich. Even she thought so. They hooked up a couple of times for lunch and such. Made her housemates jealous. images/smilies/angel.gif

I met him a couple of times before he went to college, when visiting friends and family in Chicago. Nice kid. Hope he makes the NHL soon.

Gee whiz, that's so cool. :)

Yeah, I'd love for him to make it for the Rangers, but King Henrik is putting on quite a show. I have a certain loyalty to Henrik as well, since his twin, Joel, plays for Dallas. Gotta support family after all.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-08-07, 11:18 PM
Hockey--- I miss being a bigger fan. I just can't get into watching is on vs. It isn't the same since the strike/lockout. I'm still hopeful that my Pens will end up moving out of Pittsburgh- maybe to OKC or KC where I could see them more often.

Parks
05-08-07, 11:36 PM
Hockey--- I miss being a bigger fan. I just can't get into watching is on vs. It isn't the same since the strike/lockout. I'm still hopeful that my Pens will end up moving out of Pittsburgh- maybe to OKC or KC where I could see them more often.

I think they're firmly in Pittsburgh for now, sad as it is. And Versus is getting better, they're still new to the whole "pro sports" thing.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-09-07, 01:03 AM
They say they're going to stay in Pittsburgh, but you never know. Super Mario hooked me on hockey, so I am a Penguin fan one way or the other. But, it has been a couple of years since I've seen them play- and I see the Stars a couple of times a year at a minimum.