PDA

View Full Version : I have a few ?'s

Salezel
05-05-07, 02:38 PM
Hello everybody,

Im new and have a few questions. So thank you in advance for any answers i recieve.

1)i was told by the Recruiter that every 2 years that a Marine is eligible to change his/her Mos is this true?

2) If its true what negative effects woul it have if , you were to change?

3) wWhat kind of MoS would make you most eligible to be security for an embassy?

Marine84
05-05-07, 04:54 PM
Why would you even WANT to change your MOS every 2 years? I don't know whether you can or not but, why would you want to? Why not just get into something you like from the get go?

Salezel
05-05-07, 05:32 PM
I never said I wanted to, I was just curious if it was true. I dont plan on changing my MOS

davblay
05-05-07, 07:42 PM
Hello everybody,

Im new and have a few questions. So thank you in advance for any answers i recieve.

1)i was told by the Recruiter that every 2 years that a Marine is eligible to change his/her Mos is this true?

3) wWhat kind of MoS would make you most eligible to be security for an embassy?

It still goes on, even today! :beer:

Marine84
05-05-07, 07:47 PM
with all due respect,if it's not something you want to do why worry about it or even care if it's true? How was he trying to use that as a selling point anyway - how did it come up in conversation?

Marine84
05-05-07, 07:48 PM
It still goes on, even today! :beer:

I got this round..................:beer: :beer:

You got popcorn?

Salezel
05-05-07, 07:57 PM
with all due respect,if it's not something you want to do why worry about it or even care if it's true? How was he trying to use that as a selling point anyway - how did it come up in conversation?

I wasn't worrying about, it was just something that crossed my mind.
He wasn't trying to use it as a selling point. It came up when I was at his office, a friend of mine had come with me and asked him "what if I join and dont like my MOS but I still want to be in the Marines?" thats when the recruiter said that you can change your MOS every 2 years

rvillac2
05-05-07, 11:22 PM
I don't think you understood him correctly.
We don't change MOS (officially) even within one enlistment.

Depending on your unit, you can be crosstrained in several different occupations. You may even be fortunate enough to get assigned a billet for that MOS without actually having the MOS (Admin turned Radioman, or Artilleryman turned MotorT).

However, I can almost guarantee you they won't be sending you to a different Primary MOS school. It costs money and we're generally not in the habit of wasting it that way.

davblay
05-06-07, 01:00 AM
Rvillac2 is correct. It cost mega bucks to train a Marine! You may have several secondary MOS's but your primary will always be the same! You will get that secondary by OJT, never by going to school. Of course there is always the exception to the rule, but seldom ever, ie, Drill Instructor, Recruiter, etc.!

This one is on me KIM! :beer::beer::beer:

Quinbo
05-06-07, 05:54 AM
I can add that if enlist or reenlist for a bonus then you absolutely have to complete the entire contract in your MOS. Embassy duty will take anyone with a squeaky clean record and you can put in for it after 2 years. Maybe that is where the confusion came from.

Marine84
05-06-07, 07:07 AM
This one is on me KIM! :beer::beer::beer:

What? No popcorn? We need munchies man!

Salezel
05-06-07, 07:42 AM
I can add that if enlist or reenlist for a bonus then you absolutely have to complete the entire contract in your MOS. Embassy duty will take anyone with a squeaky clean record and you can put in for it after 2 years. Maybe that is where the confusion came from.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Oh and for embassy duty do you have to have a certain rank, or is it just after 2 years?

davblay
05-06-07, 11:34 AM
What? No popcorn? We need munchies man!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Popcorn02.jpg/250px-Popcorn02.jpg

Dig in Kim! :beer::beer:

Marine84
05-06-07, 06:00 PM
That's what I'm talkin' about!

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure about changing your MOS every 2 years. That might be somewhere in writing, but it's not something they do. I do know that if you reenlist, you can request a change of MOS. This is your bargaining tool. "I'll reenlist only if you guys give me a new MOS of my choosing," that kind of deal.
Just watch out, though. Your previous MOS will always follow you, it's always listed. I went to MOS school with a Cpl who had reenlisted and changed his MOS from admin to combat engineer. We got stationed in the same place, and because of his previous work as admin, they thought he was perfect for sitting behind a desk, which is what he does now.

killerinstinct
05-07-07, 11:06 AM
Hello everybody,

3) wWhat kind of MoS would make you most eligible to be security for an embassy?'

MSG duty is a billet like recruiting and being a DI has a VERY HIGH drop out rate. specially in winter time, but to answer your question. You can do it when re-enlisting the Corps does more things for people reenlisting for perks and such. So talk to your career planner which will be about 1 year prior to your EAS then you can do a lat move or best bet is stay in your MOS and jsut request to go to MSG and again try to get a time where you would pick up the school in summer time since more people rock out of the school in winter time..