PDA

View Full Version : ICB Brand

patlan1011
05-04-07, 10:37 PM
I am a poolie and I don't leave until October.. I was thinking about buying some ICB's to run in while I PT until my ship date. I was wondering if a fresh out of boot Marine could tell me the brand yall were issued at MCRD (I'm going to san diego in case it matters.. but I don't think it does..) I've asked other Marines and most of them said Bevelles but theyve been out of boot for quite some time...

SkilletsUSMC
05-04-07, 11:13 PM
I am a poolie and I don't leave until October.. I was thinking about buying some ICB's to run in while I PT until my ship date. I was wondering if a fresh out of boot Marine could tell me the brand yall were issued at MCRD (I'm going to san diego in case it matters.. but I don't think it does..) I've asked other Marines and most of them said Bevelles but theyve been out of boot for quite some time...

ICB?

rvillac2
05-05-07, 02:53 AM
ICB?

Thanks, Skillets. I don't feel so dated now.

I think he means Infantry Combat Boot. Hell, is that what the army calls them?

Marine84
05-05-07, 06:19 AM
I don't feel so dated now.

You think YOU feel dated?

BR34
05-05-07, 07:53 AM
Thanks, Skillets. I don't feel so dated now.

I think he means Infantry Combat Boot. Hell, is that what the army calls them?

No, that's what they're called in boot camp too.

But to the original poster, I see no reason to practice PTing in ICBs since you won't PT in them in boot camp.

For what it's worth, they're made by Bates I believe.

patlan1011
05-05-07, 02:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion.. I guess that term isnt quite as widely used as I thought it was.. I'm in ROTC now and my Gunny wanted us "Marine wannabe's" (those navy midshipmen that PT with the Marines) to get some jungle boots because we PT in them often and I was just trying to see if anyone knew whether or not they still issue the Bevelles or now theyre issuing Bates Lites or Danners.. I imagine Ill end up getting a few different pairs anyways to see which ones I like but I just thought Id ask.. not like it matters TOO much anyway..

jackson07
05-05-07, 08:30 PM
My boots I just got in boot camp were bates, but a lot of the DIs wore Danners.

rvillac2
05-05-07, 11:30 PM
Danners feel like bedroom slippers compared to boots we were issued on 1986.

Zulu 36
05-06-07, 12:08 PM
I wore Danners for years in the Air Guard and as a police officer. Wouldn't wear anything else. My first pair went through four changes of soles before Desert Storm finally destroyed the uppers. I still wear Danners out camping with Scouts. Well worth the price.

SlingerDun
07-21-07, 12:29 AM
I was issued 2 pair of boots that later i discovered cost $40 per pair at the PX (which i am almost positive was deducted from my lump sum check before leaving bootcamp) both were black unlined leather with light traction rubber soles. I have no idea who the maker was but they were very low tech and average, but sturdy. No options although i do recall this one cat who had an old pair re-soled with Vibram lugs and nobody told him it was against regulations. A survey came out in Time magazine 1983 or so saying this standard issue ICB was rated the third best design for hiking. Well that told me there was 2 designs and many different styles within these designs that were better for humping than the grunt was issued without choice.

Anyway i need new field boots for kicking around the brushy, wet mountains of Oregon. I've never gotten enough bang for my buck with the chinese hikers sold everyhwere, they just dont hold up. Any ICB or upland hunting boot reccomendations besides Danner and Bates.

Thanks~Dave

Haffner
07-21-07, 12:45 AM
Since when the hell do Marines call them ICB's? I'd get my ****in' block knocked off if I said some dumb **** like that. When I was in bootcamp we had jungle boots & mountain boots, as we called them. Those names kind've switch back and forth with hot weather & cold weather boots.

Also, there's plenty of reason to PT in bootes and utes, or just boots in general. Makes it a hell of alot easier to run in shoes! A little extra weight goes a long way. Always train for the future, not for the present.

If you only get tough enough for bootcamp now, that's all you are: tough enough for bootcamp. Odds are at MOS school, if it's anything like mine, you're in for a big surprise as far as PT goes. It's an entirely different beast. Prepare yourself for the long term; not a 13 week short term.

Sgt D
07-21-07, 01:20 AM
Jungle Boots are dead in the Corps. It breaks my heart to say, but all we are supposed to wear are the one sold in Cash Sales (The Uniform Store). They are garbage. I slide by wearing my desert jungle's, just because of the unit I'm with. But alot of 1stSgt's and SgtMaj's are sticklers on enforcing the rule. The new one's are brown suede with an Eagle Globe and Anchor on the side. They are just like the Bates and Danners of the late 90's, but suede. They take forever to dry, weigh too much, cost too much, and don't last that long.
I miss the old hard leather ,hard soled, black/green jungles.

killerinstinct
07-23-07, 08:43 AM
i wouldnt PT in them at all it could be hard on your legs i mean theres hno cushioning in them at all. Id stick to the sneakers and when you do a boots and utes run while in then use them.

sparkie
07-23-07, 09:00 AM
I learned one thing about boots, at least for me. Soak them in a bucket of water for a day, then put them on and wear them till dry. Makes for one he** of a custom fit. Sounds crazy, but it really works. Of course you have to strip and re-dye them.

jackson07
07-23-07, 07:13 PM
You get Bates currently in boot camp. We got two pairs, we called them jungles and combat boots. So does every at my current detachment. I am looking into buying a pair of Danners when I decided to fork over the cash.

No point in buying boots before bootcamp. You will only run in tennis shoes there. At MCT/ITB you will run in your boots. We do boots and utes runs here at my detachment at least once a week.

SlingerDun
07-24-07, 12:24 AM
Theres a few good reasons for not running in boots on hard terrain: degenerative joint/back pain and shin splints comes to mind especially if your a XXL...If your MOS is going to be 0300 its not a bad idea to at least hump stairs or bleachers in boots, its lower impact and combined with a rucksack full of sand makes for an ass kicker. Folks dont need to run to get a damn good workout. D.I.'s are not sports medicine personal trainers and they command recruits to do things like hoist heavy uncomfortable items until it hurts like living scat and seems to have no apparent reason other than to cause the recruit pain and grief but you see when your in the field your gonna suck wind, even if you dont smoke and feed on pogey bait. You will also have to run and carry a load fast for whatever reason, so its beneficial to know what it feels like so you dont crumble under pressure even if its not healthy excersize its also not practical fishing around in A.L.I.C.E. (they still called that?) looking for your sneakers.

Well i got the scoop from a platoon sergeant with 1/1 about 36 days short counting down his third tour, good luck to Darin! He reccomends Altama ICB's they appear much like Danner styles but 100 dollars cheaper so of course i gotta wonder about quality. Anyway it seems like they should be called IBC's like PBR and IBS

P.S. he knew what ICB meant though

--->Dave

SlingerDun
04-04-08, 12:18 AM
This afternoon at the Danner factory outlet looking for new boots and picking the sales reps' brain. He said the Marine Corps recently placed an order for 5000 pair of 'Marine Mountain Cold Weather Boots'. They have all but frozen production on less popular styles to fill this order coming due in 4 weeks. They're not really a cold weather snow pack as the name suggests, in fact they're not even insulated nor are they oversized to accept a felt booty and are built more like stout jungles or upland field boots with a reinforced heel and toe box. I reckon the better part of a Division could be shod with that many boots. Gearing up for op's in rough terrain???

He also mentioned that Marines and Soldiers often leave the store wearing their new Danners and with a sigh of relief literally ask if he would dispose of the Altamas or Bates they walked in on.

--->Dave

Covey_Rider
04-04-08, 12:43 AM
Jungle Boots are dead in the Corps. It breaks my heart to say, but all we are supposed to wear are the one sold in Cash Sales (The Uniform Store). They are garbage. I slide by wearing my desert jungle's, just because of the unit I'm with. But alot of 1stSgt's and SgtMaj's are sticklers on enforcing the rule. The new one's are brown suede with an Eagle Globe and Anchor on the side. They are just like the Bates and Danners of the late 90's, but suede. They take forever to dry, weigh too much, cost too much, and don't last that long.
I miss the old hard leather ,hard soled, black/green jungles.

Hey what's up? Didn't even realize you were a member of this site. Weird.

Zulu 36
04-04-08, 06:59 AM
This afternoon at the Danner factory outlet looking for new boots and picking the sales reps' brain. He said the Marine Corps recently placed an order for 5000 pair of 'Marine Mountain Cold Weather Boots'. They have all but frozen production on less popular styles to fill this order coming due in 4 weeks. They're not really a cold weather snow pack as the name suggests, in fact they're not even insulated nor are they oversized to accept a felt booty and are built more like stout jungles or upland field boots with a reinforced heel and toe box. I reckon the better part of a Division could be shod with that many boots. Gearing up for op's in rough terrain???

He also mentioned that Marines and Soldiers often leave the store wearing their new Danners and with a sigh of relief literally ask if he would dispose of the Altamas or Bates they walked in on.

--->Dave

I've worn only Danner boots for years. My first pair of their Acadia model went through four sets of soles before the uppers finally bit the dust (Desert Storm did them in). I wore them for police, military, and scouting stuff and won't wear anything else (I have tried Bates and other brands).

Expensive? Yes, but you get the quality you pay for and years of good service.