PDA

View Full Version : My story, please give me some advice.

jumping
05-03-07, 09:35 AM
I want to know if I should bother going to see a recruiter. This is my situation, when I was seventeen (still a juvenile) I was convicted of two felonies. Attempted armed robbery, and battery. That was twelve years ago, since then I have changed my life around. The only other thing I have been convicted of was misdemeanor battery two years ago. (That case was a joke the cop let me go, and the D.A picked up my case, cause he knew it would be an easy conviction due to my priors.) In the last twelve years I have gotten an associates degree, I own a successful business, and I lead a good, clean life. I also have over thirty character references, including a probation officer, many business owners, and a Navy SEAL. Do you guys think I stand a chance? I’m not stupid, and I’m not a criminal, I did very stupid things when I was a kid. Will the U.S.M.C look at my references, or will they just see my background? The main reason I think I have a shot is because my Navy SEAL friend is really pulling for me, he’s the one that worked me out to get me down to the weight I’m at now. He said he knew guys with clearances that had situations similar to mine. So, what do you guys think let me know, I'd rather you gentlemen shoot me down, here than have to look the recruiter in is eyes as he shoots me down. I also speak Arabic, and Spanish. Thanks in advance gentlemen.

jinelson
05-03-07, 09:44 AM
I would have to say that the outlook is not good at best very slim to none as far as chances. The fact that you speak Arabic could be a plus but you are 28 and and it could take a long time to get that many waivers.

Jim

jumping
05-03-07, 10:06 AM
Ok, thank you would it help if my felonies were pardoned? I read some where that it expungement, or pardons don't matter, the Corps still looks at you being convicted as a liability.

davblay
05-03-07, 10:06 AM
Generally, in most states, your juvenile records are sealed, but the other is not! So as Jim told you, with your age ------well The Marines cut off is 28, I believe, so good luck!

jumping
05-03-07, 10:10 AM
Ok, so it would have been smarter to do try this two, or three years ago, huh? I waited beacuse I thought that the more time went by, and the more contacts I had, the better my chances. I guess I shot myself in the foot for real with that. Is there any thing that I can do?

rvillac2
05-03-07, 10:17 AM
Don't waste any more time. If you really want it, see a recruiter today and let him tell you either way.

Grow some balls and give it a shot.

Even if you don't try, you should always seek to expunge your record wherever you can.

jumping
05-03-07, 10:19 AM
Ok, thank you for all your help.

jumping
05-03-07, 10:31 AM
I guess we all have to pay the price for our actions. What I am frustrated about is my felonies happened when I wasn't even old enough to vote. I really want this, I'll go see a recruiter today. God willing, soon I'll be able to say Semper Fi. to you guys. Thanks gentlemen, I'll keep you posted.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-07, 10:40 AM
A pardon will help so will an expungement. They aren't fast or easy to get. In all honesty, the clock is ticking. You'll already need an age waiver. If it is something you want to do- go see a recruiter today so they can start trying to get things cleared up for you.

jumping
05-03-07, 12:02 PM
Do you guys think the recruiter would help me in the expungement/ pardon process, or do they not deal with civillian affairs?

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 12:08 PM
that depends ont he recruiter. You should just attempt to get the waiver because even though it wont be allowed to be viewed by all im sure a background chek will show it there...

It's all about risks you could see but sound like you are motivated and have a good history since then only way is to try it out worst that could be said is know but like was mentioned earlier dont put anything off buecasuse you never want to have the what if question lingering on you.

Marine84
05-03-07, 12:14 PM
Looks like balls big enough already with 2 battery charges under his belt. IF you DO get in and IF you make it, don't let the Title give you the big head and get MORE battery charges brought on you....

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 12:15 PM
i think thats 84's way of saying she has the bigger ..uhm balls so to speak and will whoop ur <br />
ass

rvillac2
05-03-07, 12:19 PM
Don't wait on your recruiter to help you. There are plenty of legal aid clinics that can walk you through the process so that you can apply yourself. Expungements of misdemeanors are rather easy if that is the only thing on your adult record. In California, all you have to do is fill out an application at the courthouse. The judge will review it and either grant or deny it. If you have a clean record since the incident they are likely to grant it. If they deny it, then you'd need some further help in appearing before the judge and pleading your case.

If IL is the same as CA, then you don't need to worry about a pardon for your juvenile felonies. Have you been stripped of your rights (voting, own firearms)? Were you ever on parole or formal probation? If not, then your juvenile record will only hurt you if you commit more crimes in the future.

If you're serious about this, you should return to this forum tomorrow and tell us that you've been down the recruiters office and started your committment. Get offline and get going.

rvillac2
05-03-07, 12:23 PM
Killer,
Now THAT's some Ordinance! Mk82s? LOL.

jumping
05-03-07, 01:11 PM
So I went down and saw the recruiter. He says no go, beacuse of the two felonies, and my misdemeanor recently. So, I've been busting my hump for my shot, and I can't get in. While I was there I saw an Army Sargent, he pulled me to the side, and said the Army can get me in. It's my understanding that the Army is way less disciplined, and trained than the Marines, is that correct? I'm very disapointed, I've been working for seven months for this. Hey 84, I'll tell ya what, there is no shortage of balls here, and belive me, I know there is always a bigger meaner dog.
I really wanted to kick some terrorist's ass with you guys, but I may have to do it with the Army. Thanks so much for your help Marines, I got this out of the way, beacuse of you. It has been bothering me for a while now, and now I have my answers.

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 01:25 PM
well the army has a tendency to have a higher rate of **** birds and nastiness going on, but the fact is all branches do the same job..

Wish you luck man..

jumping
05-03-07, 01:43 PM
thanks Killer, but screw that, that doesn't make me feel better. I'm not totally knocking the Army, but when PVT Lynch was captured I heard that 30-40 rounds were fired. Tell me Killer, what would have happened if they tried that crap with Marines. How many of those a-holes would the Marines have sent to Allah? I'm very grateful that atl east I can serve my country, and attone for what I've done, but I want to be the best. And from an outsider, it seems like only Marines care about tradition, honor, loyalty, and brotherhood the way I do. Plus the dress blues are the shiznit.

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 03:01 PM
i know it sounds retarded but you could always join the navy LOL and go to be a corpsman if ya wanted.

jumping
05-03-07, 03:04 PM
LOL, that's awesome, I have treated GSW's before. Thanks killer, but no thanks.

strawberryp0cky
05-07-07, 11:12 AM
What I want to know about is your fitness level, and what MOS you're going for, and how fluent in Arabic you are. If you make yourself look appealing, then you'll have a better shot. Don't walk in there scrawny or chunky, knowing only how to say "habibi Marines," and all timid because you're worried they won't accept you. Kick the door in, wear some tight shirt to show off your muscles, and basically demand that you get to enlist, and tell them you want to enlist as a linguist. The Corps, like most people, is gay for confidence. You're trying to sell yourself to the recruiter, so you'd better wrap yourself up in a nice package.