PDA

View Full Version : New Marine. Travel & uniforms question

BR34
05-03-07, 08:49 AM
Good morning Marines!

I'm on Boot Camp leave right now and was wondering if there is an official order saying Marines can't fly in uniform ( Alphas )

We were told that it's against the UCMJ ( after Sept. 11 ) by one of our D.I.s and my our S.D.I. but the Sgt. Maj. actually told us to travel all the way home in uniform and NOT to change at the airport.

I'm wondering about this because I want to wear my Service Alpha on the plane so I don't have to put it in the body bag and check it in with my sea bag or fold it up and bring it on the plane with me...trying to keep the rinkles out of it.

Any insight or links to the order are appreciated.

Semper Fi.

killerinstinct
05-03-07, 09:08 AM
i dont think its the UCMJ , he might be talking about your cammies thats in a MCO stating you cant unless traveling from home to work and they have exceptions like to gas up get baby milk **** like that.. But i could be wrong

jinelson
05-03-07, 09:27 AM
This question has come up before and no real definitive answer has forthcoming. In boot the recruits are taught that due to terrorism they are not to travel in uniform. On the other hand can you imagine what would happen if they were to check into ITB Lejuene or Pendleton in civvies for SOI/MCT? Its kind of a catch 22 for boot Marines.

Jim

Sgt Leprechaun
05-03-07, 11:05 AM
While I understand where the senior Marines are probaby coming from (not traveling in uniform due to terrorism concerns), I think though, on a personal level, that you SHOULD wear your Alphas if you so desire to do so. It's a 'pride' thing.

Of course, you HAVE to check in wearing them.

SkilletsUSMC
05-03-07, 12:07 PM
He must have meant service utilities(cammies) Wear your alphas on the plane if you want, but once you get to the USO, ther will be about 100 new Marines changing over to get on the bus for SOI.

I say do it. Any Marine Disagree?

DevilDogHEMech
05-03-07, 12:33 PM
When I finished boot camp and went to MCT/MOS school not so long ago in 2004/2005 we were explicitly told to wear our alphas on the plane rides. And they're right about the cammies, don't wear them anywhere off base unless for a quick stop on the way home.

MacAngus
05-03-07, 01:06 PM
In 2002 one of my best friends died in a car crash on his way back to base. <br />
Myself and another friend brought his body back to illinois.We got to balboa in Deltas and the lady in charge made us...

Quinbo
05-03-07, 05:16 PM
That is excellent that you have enough pride in being a Marine to want to travel in uniform. If it will be long flight I would recommend against it. Picture yourself reporting in wearing a uniform that looks like you slept in it and possibly wearing part of your airplane meal. Travel in Charlies and put a well pressed bravo shirt, an extra pair of trousers (just in case), and your squared away alpha blouse, tie, tie clasp etc in a hanging bag. Check it or carry it on. You will travel more comfortably. :thumbup:

Arty0811
05-04-07, 03:22 AM
Isn't taking off the uniform kinda like lowering the flag and hiding it?

Quinbo
05-04-07, 02:48 PM
I have re-read the entire thread and can not find anywhere a suggestion that he not travel in uniform.

MacAngus
05-04-07, 03:12 PM
Bottom line boot. If a senior marine tells you not to do then don't do it.
Listen to orders and you'll have no problems do what your told without hesitation, If you have a problem with what you're being told do the task first then go up the chain of command and tell them why you thought it was unfair. I applaud you in that you want to show people your a part of the Greatest War Fighters the earth has but don't get yourself into trouble.I wish you luck on your new exciting journey.

BR34
05-04-07, 09:51 PM
Bottom line boot. If a senior marine tells you not to do then don't do it.
Listen to orders and you'll have no problems do what your told without hesitation, If you have a problem with what you're being told do the task first then go up the chain of command and tell them why you thought it was unfair. I applaud you in that you want to show people your a part of the Greatest War Fighters the earth has but don't get yourself into trouble.I wish you luck on your new exciting journey.

Where it became complicated is that we were taught not to do it, then told by a Sgt Maj that we SHOULD do it. If I don't wear it then I hope I can find a iron in Jacksonville cause the uniform is going to look pretty bad after being tossed around with other baggage or folded and stuffed into an overhead compartment on a plane.

Will I get into trouble if the uniform has creases where it shouldn't and is wrinkled?

testforecho2112
05-04-07, 09:58 PM
Yes you will, but here is an alternative, get a garment bag, and carry it onboard. When you first step into the cabin of the aircraft, the flight attendants can hang it for you in the first class cabin. I do it all the time, as a Marine and now as a civvy. No wrinkles! No lost luggage.

Semper Fi,

Bill

iamcloudlander
05-05-07, 01:33 AM
I just asked an soldier if they were still issued dress uniforms as I have not seen any military in dress uniforms for a long time, including Marines. He told me that their fatigues were more comfortable and cheaper to maintain. The only uniform I ever see the local Marine reservists were are utilities. My question is if dress uniforms aren't being worn why issue them? just issue work uniforms think of the savings

BR34
05-05-07, 07:49 AM
Yes you will, but here is an alternative, get a garment bag, and carry it onboard. When you first step into the cabin of the aircraft, the flight attendants can hang it for you in the first class cabin. I do it all the time, as a Marine and now as a civvy. No wrinkles! No lost luggage.

Semper Fi,

Bill

Thats a good idea. I remember seeing a lady hanging a bag in a closet when we first got on the plane. (I'm new to flying so this is all new to me )

Thanks for the tip.

bootlace15
05-05-07, 08:19 AM
Well being a boot and your nicely cleaned shaved head you are already assumed to be a JARHEAD. Fukem,wear it. As far as terrorists,give them a fist full for me............. So some nuts wear it!!!!!!!!!!! Rules are always broken,now get down and give me a few hundred..........

bootlace15 out
as far as airplane chow,eat before you go,and crap when you get there.....

Old Marine
05-05-07, 08:45 AM
What the hell do terrorists have to do with wearing the uniform on a plane flight. If a Marine wants to wear their uniform then wear it and be proud to have it on. The majority of people are not going to say a word, including said terrorist for fear of an ass whipping. I rest my case.

testforecho2112
05-05-07, 09:20 AM
Good luck Marine, I am sure you'll figure it out and do just fine, remember, Adapt and Overcome.

I cant tell you how many times I flew in uniform, and very often, because I was in uniform i got up graded to first class or someone, usually another Marine, would buy me a drink.

And then there were the stewardesses....like those two Aussie's on the Qantas flight.....but those are stories for another thread,another day!

the good old days!

Semper Fi,

Bill

crate78
05-05-07, 10:05 AM
I always made it a point to wear class A uniform when flying for Corps related purposes.

In fact, the only time I was told not to wear my uniform was on Taiwan in 1958. For purposes of political stability, the Air Group Commander issued a memo saying he "desired" that all Marines wear civilian clothes off base when off duty.

And as ya'll are aware, a full Colonel's "desire" is tantamount to a direct order.

crate

ggyoung
05-05-07, 11:22 AM
In 1970 I came from Happy Valley, Vietnam to my home in Utah on emergtecy leave in Jungle utilities. Drity ones at that. No body said a word about it. One other time I was to fly home on leave from John Wayne International AP. I always flew Militery reserve seat not standy by. As I was to get on the plane as was told that I could not get on as it was full I told the lady to look at my tickit she did and she oh I'm sorry about that. They ended up bumping a Marine Major off the the plane. Boy was he pi!!ed when he seen a Marine Sgt. take his place.