PDA

View Full Version : Vigil, memory book for fallen Marine

thedrifter
05-03-07, 07:20 AM
Vigil, memory book for fallen Marine

May 3, 2007
By JUSTINA WANG STAFF WRITER

About a decade after Shiane Wilcoxen-Gonzalez graduated from East Aurora High School and lost touch with her old bandmate Jesse De La Torre, the two reconnected online.

Wilcoxen-Gonzalez, now the East Aurora Alumni Association's homecoming chairman, was looking for old classmates and stumbled upon De La Torre's MySpace Web page. The two started exchanging e-mails and phone calls, giving regular updates about their families and new lives.

She was surprised to learn he had joined the Marines, that he was fighting in Iraq, and so proud and sure of his duty.

But when she opened up The Beacon News last month, and read that Lance Cpl. De La Torre was killed April 16 in combat, shock didn't begin to describe her feelings.

"I just talked to him a week before he died," she said. "I was looking forward to him coming home, being able to see him at his high school reunion."

Distraught that the only person she knew in the military was killed just after she found him again, she started sending messages to the other friends on De La Torre's MySpace page.

In a week or so, her e-mail inbox had filled up with dozens of responses from old classmates, friends, teachers and Marines who had stories or fond memories to share of De La Torre.

After speaking with De La Torre's mother, Wilcoxen-Gonzalez began compiling all the messages and creating an album with photos and memories.

"I wanted to let his mom know what people had to say about him," Wilcoxen-Gonzalez said. "And I thought it would be nice to have it on paper, so if she ever feels bad or is down, she can go look at this."

Wilcoxen-Gonzalez is still collecting memories and will present the book to De La Torre's family next week. She also has organized a prayer vigil, a reunion of sorts for several of De La Torre's friends who couldn't attend his funeral.

The vigil will begin at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, after the Alumni Association meeting, in the East Aurora School Service Center, 417 Fifth St.

For more information, to volunteer to help with the vigil, or to send a message for the album, call Wilcoxen-Gonzalez at (630) 518-6205 or e-mail quinnspastry@yahoo.com.

Ellie